Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 28)

Comments

• Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Hev is playing Vekic in Charleston right now (BT Sport 2). Vekic won the first set and defo needs this more.

I do love the green Har-Tru surface they use, it's like they're playing on felt :p

I thought Katowice would be televised on Eurosport, but all I see is cycling and superbikes. :confused:
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Definitely agree. I don't think there's anywhere worse to play him than these two venues. Murray did all he could, and leaves with a huge chunk of points gained

Andy will have a great chance against him on grass and in the North American swing, in particular Cincinatti. Shanghai however is his only other hope this year, Nole has become almost unbeatable on indoor now aswell

What are we looking for/hoping for/expecting from Murray in clay season? Always an intriguing prospect
    Fair play to Andy for not ducking Nole at the big tournaments and maximising his points. I'm concerned about the nature of these defeats though, particularly when they end in bagels...just doesn't help Andy psychologically.

I feel he needs to win a title or get a win against a fellow big four soon. Andy will have to get revenge on Nole on grass or faster HC now.

As for clay season, part of me wants Rafa to come back and knock Nole off his perch. OTOH, if Nole does win the French maybe that'll satiate him for the rest of the year and he'll come back down to earth that way.

Don't really expect much from Muzza from his first couple of tournies on clay, he tends to start pretty slowly. I would think he'll win a couple of rounds in Munich and could make the Madrid quarters (with the right draw)
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    About as much as we always can really, I guess. He'll progress as far as he can until he bumps into either Nadal/Djokovic, or someone with a reasonably solid clay court game.

I'd take the former, at every tournament, in a heartbeat. Losing to either Djok or Nadal will usually only happen in a semi onwards (I think Nadal will reclaim his place in big 4 after MC).

If Murray can keep progressing to semis he'll gain some amount of points and will be top 2 in no time.

Lets be honest it's unlikely he'll beat either on clay anyway so I would not mind Andy losing to both at all as long as he makes the appointment

It is the latter I worry about though. And not just the likes of Ferrer and Berdych. It's the Giraldos and Fogninis I'm wary of in the Masters events. I really hope Andy does himself justice on clay this year and doesn't bow out tamely to journeymen

He had a very positive Rome and Roland Garros last year so it'll be interesting to see can he build on that.

As for clay season, part of me wants Rafa to come back and knock Nole off his perch. OTOH, if Nole does win the French maybe that'll satiate him for the rest of the year and he'll come back down to earth that way.

Na I actually want Nole to do it this year. Don't really like him much but he's far too good a player to not win every major

Rafa has won way too many FO's now it's beyond ridiculous. I'm sure his fans still get excited and all that but it's atrocious for the game one guy cleaning up the same event

He's my favourite "big 3" player by default more than anything, but in a way I think it'd be funny seeing him go out early in the French as he'd be heading towards the top 10 exit door and Murray picked up so much flak for doing similar last year and Fed the year before, it'd be nearly funny seeing the same happen again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking at the Race rankings and Murray looks a certainty already to make London (barring injury)! :D

Considering he had to enter so many random events the end of last year to qualify, it's incredible the turnaround.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been out but how the hell did Hev lose the first set to Donna, did they decide it on who takes the best selfies?
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and Vekic takes it in 3. Much needed win for her.
    Looking at the Race rankings and Murray looks a certainty already to make London (barring injury)! :D

Considering he had to enter so many random events the end of last year to qualify, it's incredible the turnaround.
    It's very welcome. Means he won't be burnt out when the WTF swings around...
    I've been out but how the hell did Hev lose the first set to Donna, did they decide it on who takes the best selfies?
    :D

Hev was rather passive in the first set.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and Vekic takes it in 3. Much needed win for her.

:D

Hev was rather passive in the first set.

TBF to DV, she seemed to be smoking it a bit in the third set, the type of form that had a few of us seem she would be an huge prospect. Still young so could well still happen.

Having said that still a very poor loss from Hev.:(
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOOOO, Sabine has cut her hair short:(. She is still hot:), but shes better with long hair.

https://twitter.com/sabinelisicki/status/585147355730735104
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CB7caTGVIAIdjE0.jpg
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    NOOOO, Sabine has cut her hair short:(. She is still hot:), but shes better with long hair.

Omg why??!! :( A sort of Princess Anne style is not a good look on anybody.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Omg why??!! :( A sort of Princess Anne style is not a good look on anybody.

Lisa, I feel your pain. On the plus side I'd have to say the thing I like the most about Sabine is her smile - she has a way of curlng her lips which could totally turn any one....:blush:
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Lisa, I feel your pain. On the plus side I'd have to say the thing I like the most about Sabine is her smile - she has a way of curlng her lips which could totally turn any one....:blush:

My boys now better than yours :p

Hiya Jewels :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rafa has won way too many FO's now it's beyond ridiculous. I'm sure his fans still get excited and all that but it's atrocious for the game one guy cleaning up the same event

He's my favourite "big 3" player by default more than anything, but in a way I think it'd be funny seeing him go out early in the French as he'd be heading towards the top 10 exit door and Murray picked up so much flak for doing similar last year and Fed the year before, it'd be nearly funny seeing the same happen again![/QUOTE

Okay, I messed up here. Nut my pope reply is down there>
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member

Very true! She'll always have her killer smile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's my favourite "big 3" player by default more than anything, but in a way I think it'd be funny seeing him go out early in the French as he'd be heading towards the top 10 exit door and Murray picked up so much flak for doing similar last year and Fed the year before, it'd be nearly funny seeing the same happen again!

CGG - wash your mouth out right now. I struggle to think in what universe it would be funny for Rafa to be knocked out in the early rounds of RG.:(:p

Seriously, obviously I am a complete Rafa-Nut unashamedly but in some way I can see that the tennis world would love another victor at RG. I also see that this incarnation of Novak deserves the career CYGS even though I'm not a fan.

However, I would love Rafa to win 10 FO titles, not just for him to cement his claim to being the best on clay but also for him to pass Sampras. I actually am not bothered if he were to end up with more GS than Fed because to me it's clear that Fed is the GOAT. Other than on clay, Fed has reigned supreme and yet Rafa has only dominated on clay.

I really hope Rafa does well this clay season but even if he doesn't, the boy has had an incredible career.

Funnily enough, I actually probably enjoy watching tennis more when Rafa isn't involved because even if I have a favourite I'm not really emotionally involved. Not that I'm trying to jinx him or anything!:blush::D

You'll all be pleased to know that I arranged a trip abroad this week to make sure it missed the ATP tennis.;-):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boys now better than yours :p

Hiya Jewels :D

What nonsense is this Sleeps? In what universe are Celtic better than United?

Whatever the statistics say, I demand a recount.>:(

Your buoys are just lucky that pesky financial rules have knocked your rival out the park.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's my favourite "big 3" player by default more than anything, but in a way I think it'd be funny seeing him go out early in the French as he'd be heading towards the top 10 exit door and Murray picked up so much flak for doing similar last year and Fed the year before, it'd be nearly funny seeing the same happen again![/QUOTE

Okay, I messed up here. Nut my pope reply is down there>

ETA: I have no idea what I was trying to say here. Delete and ignore folks.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What nonsense is this Sleeps? In what universe are Celtic better than United?
    :confused::confused:
    I'm talking about murray bein' the new no3, & your hero ( Rafa) bein' @ no4, ya daft bat !! :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused::confused:
    I'm talking about murray bein' the new no3, & your hero ( Rafa) bein' @ no4, ya daft bat !! :p:D

Daft bat?:o How dare you Sleeps... although I see your point....:blush: I always forget you're a proud Scot.:D

I'm hoping the boy Rafa will get himself together over the clay season - and he definitely must be in London at the end of year. But more importantly, I am determined to go to Barcelona and Rome next year to see him. If he retires at the end of this year....well, I wont be responsible for my actions.:(
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daft bat?:o How dare you Sleeps... although I see your point....:blush: I always forget you're a proud Scot.:D

I'm hoping the boy Rafa will get himself together over the clay season - and he definitely must be in London at the end of year. But more importantly, I am determined to go to Barcelona and Rome next year to see him. If he retires at the end of this year....well, I wont be responsible for my actions.:(

I want to go to Barcelona too :) I am desperate to see Rafa live :) hope he can do really well in MC, I must be mad or something as I keep thinking that I have jinxed him because I got Sky Sports just so I could watch him and now he keeps getting knocked out early in tournaments so I'm paying sky and don't see much of Rafa. :(
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    I want to go to Barcelona too :) I am desperate to see Rafa live :) hope he can do really well in MC, I must be mad or something as I keep thinking that I have jinxed him because I got Sky Sports just so I could watch him and now he keeps getting knocked out early in tournaments so I'm paying sky and don't see much of Rafa. :(

Have to say that thought crossed my mind too deedee. :D
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aww Jewels, I really can't see him retiring until his early 30s at the earliest. He's too hungry to get past Pete's slam total.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    Aww Jewels, I really can't see him retiring until his early 30s at the earliest. He's too hungry to get past Pete's slam total.

Ah I can't see him hanging around that long, his body isn't up to almost two decades of professional tennis

He'll still play next year for sure though, barring a serious injury
    CGG - wash your mouth out right now. I struggle to think in what universe it would be funny for Rafa to be knocked out in the early rounds of RG.:(:p

The universe which keeps him away from challenging Andy for a top 2 ranking :D:D

Though from FO on he can only really gain points all year, though he could still probably lose some at wimby!!
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously, obviously I am a complete Rafa-Nut unashamedly but in some way I can see that the tennis world would love another victor at RG. I also see that this incarnation of Novak deserves the career CYGS even though I'm not a fan.

However, I would love Rafa to win 10 FO titles, not just for him to cement his claim to being the best on clay but also for him to pass Sampras. I actually am not bothered if he were to end up with more GS than Fed because to me it's clear that Fed is the GOAT. Other than on clay, Fed has reigned supreme and yet Rafa has only dominated on clay.

I really hope Rafa does well this clay season but even if he doesn't, the boy has had an incredible career.

Funnily enough, I actually probably enjoy watching tennis more when Rafa isn't involved because even if I have a favourite I'm not really emotionally involved. Not that I'm trying to jinx him or anything!:blush::D

You'll all be pleased to know that I arranged a trip abroad this week to make sure it missed the ATP tennis.;-):p

This! We are in unison as always. I don't doubt that Novak will get his FO, he looks like he will be around for a few years yet so there isn't a huge rush.

Not to be dramatic but I feel like time is running out for Rafa, and I so want him to get his 10th, and pass Sampras, after that I honestly wouldn't mind if he never won another slam (it would be wonderful to see him win a second AO though).

So basically we need to pencil Novaks win in for 2016 and everybody's happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    So basically we need to pencil Novaks win in for 2016 and everybody's happy.

I actually think the opposite

Nadal looks all at sea this year, his serve is a joke, his forehand doesn't have near the same zip, he's a step or two slower, which affects his game all over and essentially what makes him the formidable player he was. His confidence has dropped significantly, and there's no aura there- I get the feeling lower players actually enjoy playing him now so to have a chance at claiming a rare scalp

I just don't know if he can simply turn it on for clay season, he looks spent physically

However, I can see him definitely hitting another peak, even if only for a short time. And I can well see it happening next year. I definitely think he'll win at least another slam but I see it more likely being next year than this one
  • Options
    dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »

Oh no! Why?!
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think the opposite

Nadal looks all at sea this year, his serve is a joke, his forehand doesn't have near the same zip, he's a step or two slower, which affects his game all over and essentially what makes him the formidable player he was. His confidence has dropped significantly, and there's no aura there- I get the feeling lower players actually enjoy playing him now so to have a chance at claiming a rare scalp

I just don't know if he can simply turn it on for clay season, he looks spent physically

However, I can see him definitely hitting another peak, even if only for a short time. And I can well see it happening next year. I definitely think he'll win at least another slam but I see it more likely being next year than this one

Damn that's harsh! Lol It's all true though even if it is difficult reading, Rafa looks a shadow of his former self at the moment. I'm even more pessimistic though, I feel like his best chance is now and that it will only get worse from here. I'll never write him off but I'm pretty negative about his performance just now. I hope your right about him hitting another peak, that's more optimistic than I feel.

I wish he would stop hitting so short! It's driving me mad to see him do it, the ball just drops at the perfect spot for his opponent to let rip. He actually helps his opponents hitting like that.
This discussion has been closed.