Another ther corking contest

Felt so sorry for Polina she looked so heartbroken that people where booing her

Russia's song was incredible this year!

Really incredible. Such an emotional performance

Comments

• Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    its bad sport when people bring politics in to everything. the ones booing are losers
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with both comments.

Also think that, even though we know that the voting is most often political, it was blatant this year.

Polina should have won.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    its bad sport when people bring politics in to everything. the ones booing are the losers

Someone should tell the Russians that...

Seriously I do not condone booing, however the Eurovision is now very camp and has a massive gay following, Russia's stance on homosexuality is bound to draw some verbal negativity...
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    Totally agree with both comments.

Also think that, even though we know that the voting is most often political, it was blatant this year.

Polina should have won.

Well Europe disagreed.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone should tell the Russians that...

Seriously I do not condone booing, however the Eurovision is now very camp and has a massive gay following, Russia's stance on homosexuality is bound to draw some verbal negativity...
    Fair enough.....
    But then we get the winner, who was accused fairly recently of making remarks some would call homophobic.....
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I personally disagree with the song being amazing (good IMO, but no more special than the million other ballads) I do think its unfair to boo her. People have good reason to dislike Russia and what Putin has done recently, but that isn't her fault.

I liked it when the presenter reminded everyone how the theme was building bridges, and how the night was about the music. It needed to be said, it wasn't fair on Polina.
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    via_487 wrote: »
    Fair enough.....
    But then we get the winner, who was accused fairly recently of making remarks some would call homophobic.....

Hmmm, but by that logic you could argue that Måns has apologised and is a pro LGBT ambassador whereas Russia are still illegally in Ukraine and haven't overturned their discriminatory laws.

It not always about the initial mistake but it's about how you behave afterwards that counts. I felt sorry for Polina herself but the lyrics themselves were surely a cruel joke.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Europe disagreed.

I cant imagine the Ukraine situation helped the singer and I reckon she would have won but for it. Its an astonishing performance to get over 300 all things considered.
  • Options
    MavisConsuelaMavisConsuela Posts: 1,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had Sweden entered with this song it would have still won
  • Options
    hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its bad sport when people bring politics in to everything. the ones booing are losers

With Eurovision's structure that's impossible. Artists represent their country rather than themselves as individuals and so are also the conduits for messages back to their country.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    russia was the best song
    best performance on the night
    and best staging.. in fact it was so superior to everything else.
    well done polina and russia. you didnt win because or politics but were the best
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dina Garipova was better 2 years ago even both songs were cheesy as heck
  • Options
    s_mirages_mirage Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song was well written, structured, and paced, and the performance was good. However, the song was somewhat spoiled by generic cheesy peace lyrics.

The crowd booing was out of order, though not as bad as last year where I really felt for the Tolmachevy Sisters after the totally unfair reaction they received.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Well Europe disagreed.

and thank goodness for that.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hicken wrote: »
    With Eurovision's structure that's impossible. Artists represent their country rather than themselves as individuals and so are also the conduits for messages back to their country.

They actually represent broadcasters, despite all silly flagwaving they aren't really political emissaries. And artists do represent themselves as well. Of course in some cases the broadcasters may be controlled by the government, but far from all cases, and that's really another issue. When people refer to a country I simply take it as shorthand for the song. To assume that the BBC's entry somehow represents me and all the citizens of the UK would be pretty ludicrous.

And I agree and have said myself that What If was even better (it was actually played in the official broadcast yesterday, so now considered a classic). A Million Voices was ok though, and the best of the overhyped top 3.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, the booing of the Russian representatives has gotten to a point where it's turning me off the show. It's not fair to put the issues of a government onto an individual, especially one who has spoken out against certain laws and is getting heat from creators of those laws in their own country for supporting Conchita and asking for tolerance. It's really not fair and goes against the reasons this competition was created in the first place.

Personally, Polina was my 'individual' winner as I think she's a fantastic popstar and can't wait for her first English album, but I also fully acknowledge the headache Russia hosting would cause people too. The booing only serves to make Russians feel more isolated and cynical of Europe to be honest. So much for building bridges.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LiammaiL wrote: »
    Another ther corking contest

Felt so sorry for Polina she looked so heartbroken that people where booing her

Russia's song was incredible this year!

Really incredible. Such an emotional performance

Agree they should have won, it was the best song by a mile. Unfortunately I think how Russia is viewed in Europe at the moment meant they lost a lot of votes. Some countries actually gave them 0 points which is beyond ridiculous. As for all the idiots in the crowd booing I found that pathetic, for the Russian act to be treated like that just because of the county they come from is ridiculous, I wanted Russia to win just to shut those idiots up.
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked the song and the perfomance,but I have to say I was almost relieved that she did'nt win.

I don't see how the show could have been put on in Russia with the views they have regarding Homosexuality etc.

Would the audience have been allowed to wave the rainbow flags..how would gay performers been treated?

It would have stifled so many.

And given the Russian goverment such a power trip and platform to spout the vile attitude they have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    It was a good song. But I am glad it didn't win. Eurovision in Russia would be hurtful to a lot of the fans that love it. I think its important for Polina to understand it wasn't her being booed, it was her Government.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Russia are not suitable to win at this point with their anti LGBT laws, remember a lot of the fans who travel to be in the audience are gay and that would be awkward if it was in Russia wouldn't it?
  • Options
    TurbulenceTurbulence Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polina was very good, but I think 'Heroes' would've had to be North Korea's entry for her to have had a strong chance of winning.

Russia's song was better, but Sweden's staging and performance was always going to be difficult to compete with.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    russia was the best song
    best performance on the night
    and best staging.. in fact it was so superior to everything else.
    well done polina and russia. you didnt win because or politics but were the best

The only thing political about anything that night were the Russian song lyrics! If anything politics only helps the Russian vote lol! Tbf the song itself is so dire - I'm not sure what the appeal was exactly. It has nothing going for it. Polina also seemed slightly fake with the crying at the end.

Mans was a very deserving winner and I'm glad Europe made the right choice in the end. Even countries not involved in some apparent 'political rivalry' (over a music contest!) voted for Sweden over Russia.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was brilliant, also loved Conchita sitting with her and scolding the booers. I actually thought there would be more backlash against her, I only thought she'd make top 5 never top 2.

The fact everyone is so cool with Mans and Israel shows the hypocrisy, Polina never made an anti-LGBT comments and Israels has been blowing Palestinians to bits for almost half a century now. But neither Mans nor Israel gets any hate.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turbulence wrote: »
    but Sweden's staging and performance was always going to be difficult to compete with.

It really wasn't that good though. Maybe he got gay votes like the Italian act because people think they are cute are something. And of course there was hype just like there is hype over every Swedish entry whether it's good or not.
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Russia was incredible - incredible (and so fake) for a country like Russia to send a syrupy peace song with such lyrics... >:(

And like I said in another thread, I feel cheated that the boos were drowned/covered up on TV broadcast, such blatant distortion of reality by the broadcasters... If the arena audience can hear boos, so should TV audiences. Just covering things up won't help.