Smart/Casual for a wedding reception?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello guys
Im going to a wedding reception on the 6th of March and im struggling to know what to wear (im a man btw).
Ive spoken to the bride to be and she said shes happy for me to wear anything,as long as im there (which was very sweet of her) but when i said to my missus how about a black T-shirt,nice black jeans and black boots she looked at me in a way that made my bones go cold :D,so i think im going to have to aim bigger clothes wise?,My current style is (as i like to call it ) "Hobo Chic" meaning scruffy but presentable:).

I was thinking maybe i could wear a suit with a black or white t-shirt and some nice shoes but that seems a bit too Miami Vice for my liking.

Any suggestions would great..(that dont involve me wearing a shirt,i havent done so in the past 11 years and im not going to now.)

Cheers

Comments

• orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry, smart does tend to mean a shirt, but it doesn't have to be one of those stuffy stiff collar things, but a nice relaxed shirt. Wear open necked over a pair of smart trousers or chinos type trousers.

T-shirts at a wedding reception are a bit :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with orangesmartie-smart does mean a shirt but (again as orangesmartie has said!!) either something like a pair of chinos and a nice shirt, worn open necked and a nice pair of shoes will look perfectly acceptable!! Try not to resist the shirt option, they don't have to look stuffy and overly smart!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about one of them classy t-shirts with a tie printed on the front them :D
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, personally I think a t shirt (however nice) is not smart enough for a wedding reception. Having said that, if the bride says she doesn't care, then listen to her. It's her day. But be prepared for some funny looks from grannies and aunties and mothers in law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I agree, personally I think a t shirt (however nice) is not smart enough for a wedding reception. Having said that, if the bride says she doesn't care, then listen to her. It's her day. But be prepared for some funny looks from grannies and aunties and mothers in law.

I already get the funny looks without even trying,im 6'2 with long hair and a long beard,people think i look like bigfoot or Jesus.

I really want to wear a t-shirt because i know thats what would make me feel most relaxed,shirts will always be stuffy to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to say it but if you go in a T shirt you will probably be seen as a prat. Dress in a shirt and you will be acceptable.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say in that case, wear a t shirt and be yourself. The bride wants you there, not you dressed up as someone you're not. You're not there to impress old grannies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sirpipe wrote: »
    I hate to say it but if you go in a T shirt you will probably be seen as a prat. Dress in a shirt and you will be acceptable.

The people who are getting married are LARPers (live action role players) who spend most of their weekends dressed as knights,running around in the woods stabbing people with big foam swords,so i dont think i can get judged for wearing a t-shirt at the reception,when they dress like nutjobs in public :D

But i do want to look smart,so could i pull off a black suit (jackets and trousers) and a t-shirt?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it my help me decide an outift,if you saw a pic of me and honesty told me if i look like the suit wearing type
    www dot tinyurl dot com/bweooj
    Im the tall,long haired one....the others are guys in my band (and i have no idea what effect has been use on the pic to make me look like the cowardly from the Wizard of Oz)
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if Simon Cowell can pull off a suit and black Tshirt, so can you!

No seriously, I think a black suit and decent black Tshirt would look perfectly presentable :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »

No seriously, I think a black suit and decent black Tshirt would look perfectly presentable :)

Thanks gillypanda,not sure i want to look like Simon Cowell but anyone in favour of a t-shirt/suit combination is an absolute star :) Thanks again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black, open neck shirt under black suit
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely go with a shirt and trousers - if not a suit. The reception pictures the bride and groom (and their family) are going to want to treasure for ever, so you do want to be looking smart.

It's their big day, so make it special for them and the pictures, even if you feel slightly uncomfortable in what you're wearing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a black shirt with suit trousers? That's not as formal as a white shirt. I think you'll get some looks with the t-shirt as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about one of those t-shirts which used to be called Grandad shirts? The ones with small buttons going partway down from the neck.

At a wedding reception, you're likely to want to take off a suit jacket if it's indoors. Whatever you wear underneath has to look OK by itself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a poloshirt? You can even get long sleeved ones! It's still a tshirt material and look, albeit with a collar(ish) and a few buttons? It seems a good compromise!

Have you thought about wearing a jumper? This only works if the wedding's in the winter though!?

If you do go with a tshirt, just make sure you look immaculate and the black of the shirt matches the black of the suit - if nothing else it'll help you pull the look off.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, smart does not equate to shirt and tie. Have look around you at work and check out some of the scruffy gets that populate your environment, i bet there are some right clips that just because they wear a suit think they look smart.

A smart, new, well made teeshirt with a pair of good jeans, polished shoes, nice leather belt, smar watch and if you are well groomed it can can look a hundred times smarter than a shirt (even an ironed shirt) and trousers, especially if your body is in ok condition.

jaccob wrote: »
    I already get the funny looks without even trying,im 6'2 with long hair and a long beard,people think i look like bigfoot or Jesus.

I really want to wear a t-shirt because i know thats what would make me feel most relaxed,shirts will always be stuffy to me.

Plus it sounds to me that you will not be comfortable in a shirt.

Unless you have a massive beer belly, I would say go and buy a new outfit or good jeans, teeshirt, new belt etc. Make sure every crease is pressed out from it, wash your hair, shave off your beard or at least make sure it is neat and clean, wear your best leather shoes make sure they are polished. You will probably look a lot smarter than half the people there who are wearing shirts.
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    Definitely go with a shirt and trousers - if not a suit. The reception pictures the bride and groom (and their family) are going to want to treasure for ever, so you do want to be looking smart.

It's their big day, so make it special for them and the pictures, even if you feel slightly uncomfortable in what you're wearing.

Dont speak for all brides and their families! Id rather people were comfortable, that meant they would chill out and enjoy the day as much as me, which was much, much more important to me than having a set of formal photos of everyone looking awkward.

My wedding was smart casual and people asked me what I meant, I just meant wear what you like so long as its not scruffy. Everyone looked fantastic.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a suit and plain T-shirt is perfectly aceptable as "Smart Casual"

As its just the reception you are going to I can't see a problem whatsoever!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »

Depends on the suit, if it's a softly cut black suit a black t-shirt will be fine but if it's a sharper cut suit I'd go with a shirt.

Get a new black t-shirt though, a washed out greying one will look crap.
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smart casual for me has always meant shoes, trousers and shirt. Tie and jacket are optional.

Here's the wikipedia entry for smart casual - should give you some guidelines:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_casual
  • NocturnaliaNocturnalia Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    So you'll wear a suit with a blazer and smart trousers but not a shirt? I don't understand what the big deal is about a shirt... remember your friends have not only invited you but are paying for you to be there. Just wear a nice shirt and suck it up!
  • mootpointmootpoint Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaccob wrote: »
    I thought it my help me decide an outift,if you saw a pic of me and honesty told me if i look like the suit wearing type
    www dot tinyurl dot com/bweooj
    Im the tall,long haired one....the others are guys in my band (and i have no idea what effect has been use on the pic to make me look like the cowardly from the Wizard of Oz)

jeesus! lol, i am tempted to say dress like this :D

http://listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/connor-tm.jpg

but seriously, i know you wouldn't feel comfortable in a shirt and suit, but i think you would look kind of cool in one to be honest. that juxtaposition between your gruff, warrior look and a smartish suit would go well. you could always get a short sleeved shirt to go under the jacket maybe?