Corrie - Is Alya a virgin?

2»

Comments

• Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    So does this apply to Muslim or Hindu men as well then? That they can't sleep with anyone before their married? I don't know much about their religion.

I'm pretty sure all religions forbid or disapprove of sex before marriage. Their stance is that it should only take place between two married people....the idea of "casual" sex goes completely against their belief that it should be part of a loving relationship with the ultimate aim of producing children.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure all religions forbid or disapprove of sex before marriage. Their stance is that it should only take place between two married people....the idea of "casual" sex goes completely against their belief that it should be part of a loving relationship with the ultimate aim of producing children.

Exactly. It is actually against Christian teachings as well. Hence unmarried mothers bringing shame on families to the extent that adoptions would be forced or they'd pretend the baby belonged to somebody else until the last couple of decades. It is just that this Country has become increasingly non religious at the same time as contraception became more reliable and obtainable so Society's views have changed - even within my lifetime.

I think a lot of younger people don't realise that even as late as the 1950s and 1960s people were virgins when they married, even if they were in their twenties, not zealously religious and quite attractive.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Exactly. It is actually against Christian teachings as well. Hence unmarried mothers bringing shame on families to the extent that adoptions would be forced or they'd pretend the baby belonged to somebody else until the last couple of decades. It is just that this Country has become increasingly non religious at the same time as contraception became more reliable and obtainable so Society's views have changed - even within my lifetime.

I think a lot of younger people don't realise that even as late as the 1950s and 1960s people were virgins when they married, even if they were in their twenties, not zealously religious and quite attractive.

Well said. I think there were always women who 'shagged around' but they were really looked down on. For example, there was a 'good time girl' on my mum's estate, my mum (about 18 yrs old) ran into her at the 'pictures' and started talking as she quite liked this woman, she was jovial, friendly and a good laugh. But unknown to Mum one of her busy-body neighbours was there, saw them together and rushed with wings on her heels to tell my gran exactly who her daughter was talking to, that she'd get corrupted and a bad reputation - they were just chatting about the film! Can you imagine THAT happening today? This was the 50's, not that long ago really when you think how much things have changed since then.

It won't surprise me on iota if Alya is still a virgin. I'm more surprised that others are surprised that she is!
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with any fictional character, it's all quantum, innit? There's an event (or a not-event) which is merely a possibility until there's an observer.

She's neither a virgin nor a non-virgin until the writer chooses to open the box.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of Asian women are absolutely stunning and Alya's no exception. No way in Hell she'd go out with Gary Windass for crying out loud.
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    I thought love was blind.

In what way is Gary skanky btw.

Maybe because he tried to get off with Tina when she was pregnant and then going off to a nightclub whilst in a relationship and picking up ladies but being too pissed to do anything. I can't remember anything else he has done which could be classed as skanky. Kevin and Sally Webster are more skanky than him, in fact Ken Barlow is more skanky than Gary Windass haha :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Well said. I think there were always women who 'shagged around' but they were really looked down on. For example, there was a 'good time girl' on my mum's estate, my mum (about 18 yrs old) ran into her at the 'pictures' and started talking as she quite liked this woman, she was jovial, friendly and a good laugh. But unknown to Mum one of her busy-body neighbours was there, saw them together and rushed with wings on her heels to tell my gran exactly who her daughter was talking to, that she'd get corrupted and a bad reputation - they were just chatting about the film! Can you imagine THAT happening today? This was the 50's, not that long ago really when you think how much things have changed since then.

It won't surprise me on iota if Alya is still a virgin. I'm more surprised that others are surprised that she is!

Quite. Like you I'm sure there were people (men and women) that did sleep around but the point is they (especially women) would very quickly get a 'reputation' and 'nice' people would not associate with them and certainly wouldn't marry them. "Not the kind of girl you take home to meet Mother" as the old expression goes. And god help the woman if she fell pregnant which was a HUGE risk pre the Pill. Abortions were mostly illegal and very dangerous even assuming the woman had any idea how to go about getting one. That fear, not to mention the very real belief that it was morally wrong to have sex before marriage and you'd go to hell kept most people on the 'straight and narrow'. The vast majority of people were church goers back then and genuinely did believe and that makes such a big difference to attitudes about sex, all sex.

I'm with you, I'm quite surprised that so many people are surprised that a 21 or 22 year old girl that we've been told is devout if tolerant of others outside her religion should still be a virgin - pretty and educated or not.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »

That was down to fear of pregnancy and the shame of a "shotgun" wedding. Muslim and Christian men are happy to cottage looking for other men to have casual sex with
  • Options
    lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Kal must have had Alya when he was 20 if he's in his early forties, either he was married very young or he was not religious. Actually the amount of times Alya mentioned on Friday that she didn't sleep with Gary and that he understood, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned it into a storyline. Could be quite interesting actually
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So Kal must have had Alya when he was 20 if he's in his early forties, either he was married very young or he was not religious. Actually the amount of times Alya mentioned on Friday that she didn't sleep with Gary and that he understood, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned it into a storyline. Could be quite interesting actually

I'm sure it has been mentions that Jamilla was his first love and they'd been together since they were very young.

Again, young marriages aren't unusual in cultures where sex before marriage is forbidden (people married much younger in the UK even 30 or 40 years ago than they do now) and especially if an arranged marriage is involved which it may well have been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was down to fear of pregnancy and the shame of a "shotgun" wedding. Muslim and Christian men are happy to cottage looking for other men to have casual sex with

Fear of pregnancy was of course a huge part of it as i mentioned in my second post, but it was also a religious and social thing. From what i understand from my mother and other people of her age (born mid 30s) people really did believe in heaven and hell and that they would be damned if they 'broke the rules' and one of the rules was no sex out of wedlock.

Also, there was the shame getting a 'reputation', even if there no physical manifestation of it like a baby, would bring on your family. Not to mention scuppering your chances of finding a respectable man that would marry you so you could have a legitimate family of your own and for those women that didn't stury or get a career (my Mum actually did) financial security.