Credit Card Payment Query

macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got my statement the other week and knew that I was due £30 odd winnings from Paddy Power to be credited so reduced my payment by £30.

Today at 8.40am :eek: I got an phone call from an automated service for me but name totally wrong :mad:

I phoned back and they said I was in arrears and that the credit from Paddy Power could not be classed as a payment and that I had to pay the arrears over the phone and plus I would get a £12 default charge :eek:

I am fizzing how can a credit into my account not be classed towards my payment? How else was I supposed to get the winnings out? :mad:

I am going to close the account anyway but wonder if anyone can enlighten me as to why they felt the need to phone me that early on a Saturday for the sake of £28 and why my winnings cannot be taken into account? :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macca@90 wrote: »
    I got my statement the other week and knew that I was due £30 odd winnings from Paddy Power to be credited so reduced my payment by £30.

Today at 8.40am :eek: I got an phone call from an automated service for me but name totally wrong :mad:

I phoned back and they said I was in arrears and that the credit from Paddy Power could not be classed as a payment and that I had to pay the arrears over the phone and plus I would get a £12 default charge :eek:

I am fizzing how can a credit into my account not be classed towards my payment? How else was I supposed to get the winnings out? :mad:

I am going to close the account anyway but wonder if anyone can enlighten me as to why they felt the need to phone me that early on a Saturday for the sake of £28 and why my winnings cannot be taken into account? :(

Because it will be in the T&C's. Credits onto your card are not classed as payments all they do is reduce the balance.

I'm afraid it's your own fault you don't understand how a credit card works.

If you get another card from a different supplier you find exactly the same terms.
  • macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well their loss as I am closing the account next week ;)

Not amused about name being totally wrong though :mad:
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course that is your prerogative, however just remember that if you take out a new credit card with another provider they will more than likely have the same policy. I think you will find it is pretty much standard practice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suggest you get a new card first. You will have a black mark on your payment history.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A credit/refund in to your account will just show up on the following statement, the same as a purchase would. So all it does is make your next statement £30 less, it won't count as a payment towards the outstanding amount on a current statement.

I am surprised anyone would have thought that a transaction (whether in your favour or not) would have had any effect on a balance already billed in a statement.
  • macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I was given duff info by OH :mad: :o

Have another card so okay on that count :)