Shower Ceiling Switch

macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello

Our switch has gone - first it wouldn't switch on then it wouldn't switch off. Got a new one yesterday which works fine when fired up but as soon as it is screwed onto the ceiling won't work :(

Tried loads of times and eventually the casing cracked. Have it connected but not to the ceiling :eek:

Need to fit another one but where are we going wrong? Looks like maybe the earth is coming out once we try to connect to the ceiling.

Fitted one before and never had these problems :mad:

Comments

• TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im confused why would the earth come out when fastening it to the ceiling..?
  • macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know this is what Mr M is saying :o:confused:
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if that is the case then the earth wire is either to short or not being put in tight enough
  • macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Lack of earth wouldn't stop it working. Suggest one or more of the other connections is coming loose when pushed up to back box. Try making the hole the cables come through the ceiling a bit bigger - puts them under less stress. Either that or a cable is damaged, held together by the insulation and breaking circuit when bending as switch pushed up. Any smell or signs of burning? Circuit Breaker tripping? Can you get into loft above to check cables?
  • Major HeadacheMajor Headache Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Electricity + Water + DIY = Death.

Hire a professional...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electricity + Water + DIY = Death.

Hire a professional...

Its also a recent legal requirement for kitchens and bathrooms unless you get it signed off by the council inspector (which I did). Tho I cant be 100% certain if this applies to the OP as they are in Scotland.

That said if you're struggling it'd be alot safer to get a professional in.