Options

There will never ever be a large scale peaceful protest anymore!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The internet and social networking has made spreading the organisation of large scale events soo much easier, with anybody being able to access the information. Unfortunately this means trouble makers also get hold of that information and use it as an excuse to cause trouble.

If you gather any random bunch of 20,000 people you will pick up some trouble makers. it doesnt matter if future protests are organised by students, public sector workers, peace activists or middle aged mums. If a large scale protest is organised there will always be trouble! People picking on the students, say they no longer support their cause are just choosing an easy target. yes a 10's of people decided it would be good to throw rocks and burns stuff, but 20,000 other people DIDN'T! I dont see the same people who look down their noses at the student protestors, disregarding an entire town of people for scum because they've heard a few trouble makers are amongst them, and the same shouldn't be done to students!

Anyone who thinks future protests wont ever be faced with the same problem is, as clegg puts it, "living in a dream world"!

Comments

• Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    All I can add is that troublemakers understood protests and how to exploit them long before the Internet. Troublemakers from both sides.
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Protest, peaceful or otherwise never worked anyway.

The public are powerless against the state beyond the ballot box.

In the end states will and always shall be governed by a small group of men and women who do whatever they want within the limits of the law, the law they tend to set themselves.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    There better be or I will kick some serious ass!!

Oh wait...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wait until the Government brings in the new rules, and stops people's unemployment benefit for 3 years. The riots will likely be a mini warzone.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fortunatly we have Apathy, that has saved us from any real protest for years.:p
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heather Mills is now suggesting that the anarchists/rioters were placed within the demonstrating crowd by the government to discredit the peaceful protesters, hmmm... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    "The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its most stupid member divided by the number of mobsters" - Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    Heather Mills is now suggesting that the anarchists/rioters were placed within the demonstrating crowd by the government to discredit the peaceful protesters, hmmm... :rolleyes:

Tin foil hats on.
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TPL wrote: »

In the end states will and always shall be governed by a small group of men and women who do whatever they want within the limits of the law, the law they tend to set themselves.
    Hm I.'m afraid your knowledge of history isn't that great. As recently as 1990, in London there were protests and in the end rioting against Thatcher's poll tax. The Tory government were forced to abandon it and council tax replaced it. But things proceeded a lot more violently than what's happened rin the last few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeFS6S06w8c&feature=related
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Indeed. Poll Tax riots were massive and caused a change. However, I think this demonstrates that rioting is required to get noticed and peaceful protesting is just a load of people walking, chanting and blowing whistles.

I agree with benjamini, we're quickly becoming a very apathetic nation. People say they care but they sit on their arses and watch Coronation Street or whatever floats their boat. I have to say, I am quite apathetic as well (although I think Coronation Street is pathetic :p)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Seasick Carmen :D
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You sure about that?

Check out Satyagraha in India, the Velvet Revolution in CZechoslovakia, the Singing Revolution in the Baltic States - in fact most of the ex-easternbloc countries were quite succesful ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A demonstation, no matter what the cause, and along come the scurge who deliberately set out to cause as much trouble and destruction as they can get away with.
    They crawl out of their grubby little hovels for some "fun." Seen wearing scarves covering their cowardly faces, they couldn't really care less about the plight of potential students.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last time we had a truly large scale peaceful protest was in the run up to the Iraq war, and it achieved absolutely nothing. A million people took to the streets and were ignored. May as well have had a riot.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. Poll Tax riots were massive and caused a change. However, I think this demonstrates that rioting is required to get noticed and peaceful protesting is just a load of people walking, chanting and blowing whistles.

I agree with benjamini, we're quickly becoming a very apathetic nation. People say they care but they sit on their arses and watch Coronation Street or whatever floats their boat. I have to say, I am quite apathetic as well (although I think Coronation Street is pathetic :p)

it is possible to care and watch corrie you know!:mad:
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I would be very keen to see a photo or even video evidence that it was a protester who pushed the police officer off his horse.
    All I could see for yards either side were yellowcoats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    I would be very keen to see a photo or even video evidence that it was a protester who pushed the police officer off his horse.
    All I could see for yards either side were yellowcoats.

On BBC news they read out some police statement about a cop being pulled from his horse, only to be immediately contradicted by their reporter on the ground who said the horse was startled and threw its rider. Police PR never lets up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    m06een00 wrote: »
    Hm I.'m afraid your knowledge of history isn't that great. As recently as 1990, in London there were protests and in the end rioting against Thatcher's poll tax. The Tory government were forced to abandon it and council tax replaced it. But things proceeded a lot more violently than what's happened rin the last few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeFS6S06w8c&feature=related

Yet poll tax was infact a much fairer tax overall and it would have slowed the excessive breeding across newer generations that come from families with fewer prospects and lower expectations.

You should pay per person, as each individual will use the facilities in the local area. You shouldn't have to pay extra just because your home takes up a few more metres, but with only one person living within it.

It's a rediculous assumption that larger property means more wealth/ability to pay or in fact larger number of household members. Although you get a discount as a single person, it still doesn't go far enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall the reason the Council Tax was abandoned was because it was becoming impossible to collect all the monies owed and local authorities were spending more money chasing up arrears than the amount they were actually owed. I don't think the protests themselves caused it to be scrapped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You won't affect huge change just by voting every few years. The way you bring about change is by involvement in society. Like most countries, Britain is actually run by hundreds of thousands or even millions of committees which decide on street lighting, whether the local primary school should have a new piano, who the Labour Party candidate should be in the parish council elections etc. That's the way that change happens - by you spending a couple of evenings a week sitting through committee meetings.
    Join a political party and get active in it. The voters basically get a choice between two or three candidates, but if you're in a party, you can decide who the candidates are.
    And if after many decadesyou are still annoyed that society is going in the direction you want it to, consider the idea that maybe it's you who are out of step with the society, not the other way round.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet poll tax was infact a much fairer tax overall and it would have slowed the excessive breeding across newer generations that come from families with fewer prospects and lower expectations.

You should pay per person, as each individual will use the facilities in the local area. You shouldn't have to pay extra just because your home takes up a few more metres, but with only one person living within it.

It's a rediculous assumption that larger property means more wealth/ability to pay or in fact larger number of household members. Although you get a discount as a single person, it still doesn't go far enough.

The poll tax failed because the majority of people ended up paying more, and a minority paid less.

However cleverly you put it, you'll rarely convince a person that it's fairer for him to pay more than his neighbour. "I should pay less because I've lived here longer/have more children/less children/am younger/am older etc."