Amazon going down the pan

Comments

• NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    It's "No shit, Sherlock" time.

Weasel words dropped into my E-mail this morning.

Dear Customer,

Ensuring that you receive your order in time for Christmas is our number one priority.

The recent weather conditions have resulted in backlogs across the entire UK for our delivery partners, but we are in constant communication with them and are working around the clock to make sure that orders with an estimated delivery time before December 24, arrive in time for Christmas.

We are currently experiencing an increased volume of e-mails and phone calls into our customer service centre. This is causing delays to our usual speed of response but rest assured, we are working through all enquiries in order of receipt.

There are some useful self-service links that allow you to see the details of your order and its current status. You can access these by visiting Your Account.

If your order has already been dispatched via a trackable method, please use the tracking information on your confirmation e-mail or in 'Your Account' to track your delivery via the relevant carrier website.

If your order was dispatched via a non-trackable method, please rest assured that your item is on its way to you now.

If your order has not yet been dispatched please check 'Your Account' regularly where you will find the most up-to-date information regarding dispatch dates and estimated delivery dates.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

With kind regards,

Brian McBride

Managing Director, Amazon.co.uk

Quick tip, if 'Ensuring that you receive your order in time for Christmas is our number one priority.', don't sit on it for 5 days before chucking it out the door. The answer is called 'Same day dispatch'.

D'oh
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im now waiting for a Game I ordered from them on the 8th Dec sent out on the 9th. Don't think it will get here for Christmas.
  • LaggyLaggy Posts: 3,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also having Amazon related delays:

I ordered a new hd camcorder so that I could record my nephews first christmas. Ordered the 7th and dispatched on the 8th with an estimated delivery of the 10th.. They sent it via royal mail 'tracked' so I can see it's been sitting in the "Yorkshire Distribution Centre" for now 10 days.

Again, not exactly Amazon's fault (Apart from them relying on Royal Mail of course!) but i've paid them £500 for something that has failed to show up, and has now been sitting at the bottom of a large pile for over a week. With the new snowfall we've just had am doubting will show up in time for it's main purpose of me purchasing it, and I just don't have the extra cash to go out and buy a replacement. :mad:

Got the generic email this morning after sending them a "Errr.. is this actually going to show up?" support request last night. Royal Mail are useless too - rang them up and quoted my tracking number and they told me it was '*Probably* stuck in a backlog and is processing through their network' and that's all the info they had - didn't exactly fill me with confidence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what annoys me is that their website is still giving the official line that delays "may take up to two or three days longer". This is clearly B.S. and I have no faith that my order which is now 5 days late will turn up in time for xmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I managed to scoop up one of the better Black Friday deals, it was dispatched on the 29th November, due to arrive on the 30th. I thought I'd sign up to the free one month trial of Prime, seen as during December I probably would be ordering other stuff from Amazon, so handy to get the free next-day delivery.

Wish I never did now.

I'm still waiting on the item from the 29th. It arrived to the courier on the 30th, which happened to be the first day of snow in this area.

It snowed for about 4 days and we had 1 day of icy conditions. We have not had any further snow since - even yesterday and today we have still had no snow whatsoever!

Therefore any backlog with the courier should be 5 days AT THE MOST. They claim to have been working weekends (it's now two weekends they've claimed to have worked) so should be much less.

In fact on City Link's site they claim a 3 day backlog for our local depot. Lies, lies, lies.

They originally tried to say they actually attempted delivery on the 30th. Lies, lie, lies again - I was in the front room all day with perfect view of any incoming persons!

After a few days I contacted Amazon who said something seems to have gone wrong, so we've sent you another one.

Not too bad considering there was no guarantee it is actually lost, so I was quite happy about Amazon for doing that.

That was dispatched on the 5th and arrived at our local depot on the 7th.

I am still waiting for the item, now some 11 days later and you can't even collect the item because City Link are not opening the collection points for their busiest depots.

I have ordered other items from Amazon, smaller ones, CDs, books etc and the dispatch time has always been same day.

I had a few sent on the 4th and some on the 7th.

All Amazon Prime next day.

I received one of two items sent on the 4th just 10 days later and the items from the 7th just 8 days later.

Those are via Royal Mail.

I am still waiting on one item from the 4th.

Amazon has since re-sent this but I need this item BEFORE the 24th as it's not for Christmas, its required before Christmas!

That's now not going to arrive in time, unless it comes later today with the post.

I have no complaints with Amazon. This rests solely with the postage companies.

One of, or their only, Amazon's fulfilment warehouses is in Scotland, so that is a bit unfortunate. Not living up there I can't really comment on how bad the conditions were, or for how long but 8-10 days for a next day service is DREADFUL. I'm pretty sure the poor conditions where not that lengthy.

We then have the matter of City Link who have had my original item for over 10 days before returning it to Amazon (as Amazon resent the item they did a return-to-sender, ultimately making my delivery even longer!) and now the resent item for 11 days.

11 days when the conditions were bad for five days. Brilliant.

You can't even contact them because their phone system does not have a queue system, you're just told they are busy and the call is terminated. Email us instead they say. Well that'd be good if they actually bothered to email you back.

City Link cannot blame, the snow in this area, as I've said before we only had poor conditions for five days and they cannot blame the snow in other areas as the delay times I am quoting are from when the items arrived at the depot, not from when they were sent and they cannot blame the fact it is Christmas and there are a lot more packages coming through. They should plan for this in advance. They know they would be having more through their system, so even if it didn't snow would need extra staff to process more items.

It's now been three weeks since my first order was placed with Amazon.

Absolute joke.
    Forum Member
    Laggy wrote: »
    I'm also having Amazon related delays:

I ordered a new hd camcorder so that I could record my nephews first christmas. Ordered the 7th and dispatched on the 8th with an estimated delivery of the 10th.. They sent it via royal mail 'tracked' so I can see it's been sitting in the "Yorkshire Distribution Centre" for now 10 days.

Again, not exactly Amazon's fault (Apart from them relying on Royal Mail of course!) but i've paid them £500 for something that has failed to show up, and has now been sitting at the bottom of a large pile for over a week. With the new snowfall we've just had am doubting will show up in time for it's main purpose of me purchasing it, and I just don't have the extra cash to go out and buy a replacement. :mad:

Got the generic email this morning after sending them a "Errr.. is this actually going to show up?" support request last night. Royal Mail are useless too - rang them up and quoted my tracking number and they told me it was '*Probably* stuck in a backlog and is processing through their network' and that's all the info they had - didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

If you can find it at a comparable price locally, I'd buy it again if you can afford, and arrange an Amazon return. If it arrives after XMAS, I'd be after compensation from Amazon too.

If i was Amazon, I'd be suing the arse off the Royal Mail for damages, on their contract. Stuck in a Yorkshire depot, for 10 days is wholly unacceptable. It's Yorkshire, not the North Pole/Lapland - indeed Santa manages fine up there, never missing a delivery :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    One of, or their only, Amazon's fulfilment warehouses is in Scotland, so that is a bit unfortunate. Not living up there I can't really comment on how bad the conditions were, or for how long but 8-10 days for a next day service is DREADFUL. I'm pretty sure the poor conditions where not that lengthy.

Their 2 Scottish fulfillment centres are hardly halfway up a shepherds track in the arse end of the Highlands... indeed they labour one about how good the commmunications are. Even if they had issues, it is not beyond the wit of man to lob it onto some rail freight and send down to Milton Keynes where the Thameslink station is adjacent to their Marston Gate Primary fulfilment centre. It could them be squirted into RM or Citylink's MK depots and out to the customers. Or flown down to East Midland's Airport, which is one of the UK's biggest cargo hubs - The DHL depot there is about the size of Wembley stadium !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Locations-Careers/b?ie=UTF8&node=203040011
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    The tracking information on Amazon's site isn't being updated.
    We have received three deliveries that are apparently still at Wales and Scotland, so their advice about using the tracking info is useless.
    The only items I am waiting on are Wii games for the kids, posted Royal Mail on the 6th December. Worst comes to worst, I buy them in the shops on Thursday/Friday and return Amazons after Christmas (if they do in fact turn up!)
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    Just been down PO to collect yet another parcel from Amazon

If you ever go down post office have a look and you'll see 50% of parcels are from Amazon

Amazon are very busy bees and I'm luvvin em
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tracking information on Amazon's site isn't being updated.
    We have received three deliveries that are apparently still at Wales and Scotland, so their advice about using the tracking info is useless.
    The only items I am waiting on are Wii games for the kids, posted Royal Mail on the 6th December. Worst comes to worst, I buy them in the shops on Thursday/Friday and return Amazons after Christmas (if they do in fact turn up!)
    Yes, it's what I'm going to have to do for one of the items if it doesn't come.

The other though isn't sold in shops!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for a DVD that was posted on the 4th December.sent them an email and they took 2 days to respond to that.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay hopeful folks as my package containing 2 CD's has arrived today - despatched on 30th November so 18 days. You'll get them all eventually. Just taken about 10 packages in for three of my neighbours too. 7 are from Amazon!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay hopeful folks as my package containing 2 CD's has arrived today - despatched on 30th November so 18 days. You'll get them all eventually. Just taken about 10 packages in for three of my neighbours too. 7 are from Amazon!!!
    Yeah as I mentioned, the ones I have got have been 8-10 days delay.

Yet Amazon is still saying there's time for Christmas delivery when there clearly isn't!

Mine were posted for next day delivery, which Royal Mail claim is still taking priority, even though the guarantee is not there.

Amazon claim you can order with next day up until 20th. They won't arrive until the 28th or 30th at current waiting times going my by experiences!

The trouble is the carriers are not being honest.

They keep claiming 2-3 days delay at the most, when there clearly isn't if you read this thread.

This means Amazon, and other companies, have adjusted their last order dates based on those claims, which is going to mean a lot of unhappy customers when these items don't arrive.

I shall never shop with Amazon again in the winter based on this. Other companies with bases further south, or Jersey etc have been coping fine.

In fact I have a LOVEFiLM subscription and I've been getting items next day and when I send them back they're receiving them next day - every time.

The shame of that is, it is beyond Amazon's control, unless they move their warehouses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not necessarily being dishonest as parcels sent now are likely to arrive much quicker than parcels stuck in the backlog. Royal Mail essentially have a first in, last out system so a parcel yesterday could arrive in 2-3 days while one from a week ago just sits & waits.

Amazon also seem to be sending some orders by CityLink or other courier even if you opted for free delivery, rather than relying on Royal Mail.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I ordered a replacement monitor for one of my PCs (not from Amazon) and paid for Saturday delivery and it's not come yet. I'm so angry :mad:.

Actually, I'm not. It's been snowing on and off most of the day, and it's far worse in other parts of the country, so I'll forgive the delay. I'd certainly not want some delivery guy risking his life getting here for a monitor! I'd still be happy if it turned up though :).
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I ordered a replacement monitor for one of my PCs (not from Amazon) and paid for Saturday delivery and it's not come yet. I'm so angry :mad:.

Its prolly at the post office right now - go fetch it

I remember ordering a printer for Sat delivery extra £13
    When it didn't turn up i went to the PO and there it was - picked it up and phone the company (not Amazon) for a refund on the extra £13 i paid
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Amazon and market place sellers will switch to the home delivery network rather than the Royal mail or Parcelforce. Better quicker service and you don't have to pay over a tenner to get it delivered on a Saturday.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »

When it didn't turn up i went to the PO and there it was - picked it up and phone the company (not Amazon) for a refund on the extra £13 i paid

If they can't get to me then I doubt my little skinny wheeled hatchback is going to get to them. It would never fit in the boot either :D. Besides, as I said in my earlier post, I'm not that desperate for people to be risking their lives for a monitor, my own life included.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    NeilPost wrote: »
    Even if they had issues, it is not beyond the wit of man to lob it onto some rail freight and send down to Milton Keynes where the Thameslink station is adjacent to their Marston Gate Primary fulfilment centre. It could them be squirted into RM or Citylink's MK depots and out to the customers.

The nearest Thameslink stations from MK are more than 10 km away and on a different primary rail route.

Milton Keynes is not on the same primary rail route as the nearest Thameslink station to Amazon, Marston Gate.

Milton Keynes is on the WCML between London Euston, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow.

North of London Thameslink stations are on the primary rail route (East Midlands Line) between London St. Pancras International and Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield.

The only realistic way to use freight services to MK, without going via London, is to go via Bedford and use the Bedford - Bletchley line and change to another train for MK, as there is currently no direct link between Bedford and Milton Keynes. This invloves two changes of train for quite a short distance. The reason for this is that since MK is a relatively new town, it didn't exist when the Bedford - Bletchley line was built. Apart from that, the Bedford - Bletchley line is single track in places and currently has capacity issues.
    but if there are anything like Amazon's Primary Fulfillment Centre at Marston Gate, near Milton Keynes, it's not like it is buried deep in the sticks - it's very easy to get to - even with poor road conditions. Staff getting there should not really be an issue. It;s even got a Thameslink railway station pretty close.

The nearest rail station would be either Harlington or Flitwick (I can't find the exact location of Marston Gate, MK right now), which are generally served every 15 minutes throughout the day by FCC. (Brighton via London St. Pancras International - St. Albans - Luton - Leagrave - Harlington - Flitwick - Bedford and vice versa.)

=

More info.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk
    http://www.londonmidland.com
    http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk
    http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »

My God you really have a boner for Amazon.

When was this printer order then?
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »

I shall never shop with Amazon again in the winter based on this. Other companies with bases further south, or Jersey etc have been coping fine.

In fact I have a LOVEFiLM subscription and I've been getting items next day and when I send them back they're receiving them next day - every time.

The shame of that is, it is beyond Amazon's control, unless they move their warehouses.

Depends where, but not always.

Amazon's primary depot is Marston Gate, Milton Keynes.

Amazon's Preferred Merchant Indigo Sstarfish, is in Jersey

Love Film's is in Peterborough, which is further North ;)

This will kill you though............Amazon are the largest shareholder in Love Film, and are trying to take over control.of the rest :D
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »

Actually, I'm not. It's been snowing on and off most of the day, and it's far worse in other parts of the country, so I'll forgive the delay. I'd certainly not want some delivery guy risking his life getting here for a monitor! I'd still be happy if it turned up though :).

Dixons,co.uk will Price match Amazon, and they fulfill from the same DSGi supply chain as Curry's/PC World. Indeed, the last delivery i had from them, rocked up on a Curry's lorry, on a Saturday. Free delivery. ;)
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    The nearest Thameslink stations from MK are more than 10 km away and on a different primary rail route.

Milton Keynes is not on the same primary rail route as the nearest Thameslink station to Amazon, Marston Gate.

Milton Keynes is on the WCML between London Euston, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow.

North of London Thameslink stations are on the primary rail route (East Midlands Line) between London St. Pancras International and Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield.

The only realistic way to use freight services to MK, without going via London, is to go via Bedford and use the Bedford - Bletchley line and change to another train for MK, as there is currently no direct link between Bedford and Milton Keynes. This invloves two changes of train for quite a short distance. The reason for this is that since MK is a relatively new town, it didn't exist when the Bedford - Bletchley line was built. Apart from that, the Bedford - Bletchley line is single track in places and currently has capacity issues.

The nearest rail station would be either Harlington or Flitwick (I can't find the exact location of Marston Gate, MK right now), which are generally served every 15 minutes throughout the day by FCC. (Brighton via London St. Pancras International - St. Albans - Luton - Leagrave - Harlington - Flitwick - Bedford and vice versa.)

=

More info.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk
    http://www.londonmidland.com
    http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk
    http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk

Not according to Amazon

Take a look at the local map. Station on the doorstep. MK to Bedford line, nothing to do with the WCML.

http://www.prologismarstongate.co.uk/
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Not according to Amazon

Take a look at the local map. Station on the doorstep. MK to Bedford line, nothing to do with the WCML.

http://www.prologismarstongate.co.uk/

The station you and Amazon are talking about is on the 'doorstep' of the Thameslink Line, between Luton and Bedford, not on the Bedford - Bletchley line or the line passing through MK (WCML), as I explained above. In addition the Bedford - Bletchley line is only a branch line, not a main railway route.

I've probably travelled past the Marston Gate Amazon distribution centre more times than you've had hot dinners on the way to Bedford via the Thameslink/Midland Main Line (aka the East Midlands Line) route and it is to the right of the railway line when travelling north. And yes, MK is on the WCML, not on the Thameslink/Midland Main Line route. There is no direct rail route between Bedford and MK at present.

Anyway. What I was trying to explain above, is it is not a simple case of dispatching orders to MK by simply lobbing them onto freight services.

To repeat. The nearest Thameslink station to Amazon Marston Gate is not adjacent to MK.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're not necessarily being dishonest as parcels sent now are likely to arrive much quicker than parcels stuck in the backlog. Royal Mail essentially have a first in, last out system so a parcel yesterday could arrive in 2-3 days while one from a week ago just sits & waits.

Amazon also seem to be sending some orders by CityLink or other courier even if you opted for free delivery, rather than relying on Royal Mail.

Thought your post was worth repeating.

I ordered stuff from Play on Sunday and it turned up today but QVC order (ordered earlier) is still to arrive.

That's not a problem though as they are prezzies for me. :D