Options

Found iphone 5c...

AdTheDJAdTheDJ Posts: 48
Forum Member
In April I found an Iphone in a public toilet around 10:30 in the morning. I took it and waited outside the toilets for around 10 minutes to see if anyone would come back for it but noone did. Nobody called or tezed either so I couldnt let them know their phone had been found.

I took it home and plugged it into my pc where the owners name came up on itunes. I looked through facebook and found this person (unusal name). I messaged and explained I found their phone and how would they like to recieve it back. They didnt respond so put it in the back of a drawer.

Going through the drawer today I saw the phone. Still no contact from the owner what should I do with it? The phone has a passcode so cant ring any contacts. It seems in perfect condition.

Comments

• Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it has Jesus for a Child and I want your sex in it its a dead cert it belongs to one half of Wham
  • Options
    AdTheDJAdTheDJ Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Eh?:confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdTheDJ wrote: »
    Eh?:confused::confused:

You said you found it in a public toilet
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said you found it in a public toilet

heeeeeeeeheeeeeeee.

Hand the phone into the lost property at the police station. that's the first place I would go if I lost something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jemimabond wrote: »
    heeeeeeeeheeeeeeee.

Hand the phone into the lost property at the police station. that's the first place I would go if I lost something.

And always use gloves
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And always use gloves

Eh:confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jemimabond wrote: »
    Eh:confused::confused:

Mobiles have more bacteria than the average toilet seat
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above, hand it in to the police. This is what you should have done initially.
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they haven't contacted you in 8 months, enjoy your new iPhone :)

Serious answer - Take it to your nearest police station.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently if you activate Siri and ask who owns this iphone it should give up details, maybe it will show up their email or another phone number as your facebook message probably went in their junk mail
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Apparently if you activate Siri and ask who owns this iphone it should give up details, maybe it will show up their email or another phone number as your facebook message probably went in their junk mail

OP says it has a passcode and can't be accessed.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all the interest the owner has shown in the phone, you might as well chuck it out.

Handing it in to the police won't really achieve anything if the owner hasn't chased it up after 4 months. If you'd have handed it in to the police in the first place, I imagine it would have been legally yours to keep now anyway as the owner hasn't bothered to contact you to return it.

If it's got an active passcode on it, you can't re-flash it back to stock either so if it's not going to be claimed, you might as well just bin it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For all the interest the owner has shown in the phone, you might as well chuck it out.

Handing it in to the police won't really achieve anything if the owner hasn't chased it up afdter 4 months. If you'd have handed it in to the police in the first place, I imagine it would have been legally yours to keep now anyway as the owner hasn't bothered to contact you to return it.

If it's got an active passcode on it, you can't re-flash it back to stock either so if it's not going to be claimed, you might as well just bin it.

i just got an old iPhone3 unlocked by Apple simply by providing the IMEI (which is on the back of the i5) and I bought a SIM card.
    The phone has to be out of contract with no outstanding payments.
    It was registered to me but I'm not sure if that's a requirement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP says it has a passcode and can't be accessed.
    You don't need to access the phone to work Siri, just hold in the home butfon.
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q3zfHU7asc and if it works enjoy your free phone. Personally I'd sell it.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you message someone on facebook who is not on your friends list the message goes into their other box, the one people never check. Your best bet is to send them a friend request in the hope they message you or accept so your message can get to them properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    When you message someone on facebook who is not on your friends list the message goes into their other box, the one people never check. Your best bet is to send them a friend request in the hope they message you or accept so your message can get to them properly.

Four months after it was lost?
    They've got a new phone and forgotten all about it.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..and if it works enjoy your free phone. Personally I'd sell it.

I'm pretty sure it's not a 'free phone' and technically, it could be a stolen one. It's still property of the original owner or their insurer if they've claimed for the loss. And if it's used, when it connects to a network, it may be flagged as lost/stolen and not work anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four months after it was lost?
    They've got a new phone and forgotten all about it.

There could be stuff on the phone that was never backed up to the cloud or anything though, like pictures and videos that actually mean something to them.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just got an old iPhone3 unlocked by Apple simply by providing the IMEI (which is on the back of the i5) and I bought a SIM card.
    The phone has to be out of contract with no outstanding payments.
    It was registered to me but I'm not sure if that's a requirement.

I would imagine the fact that it's registered to you is the key there, otherwise it would be a free for all with anyone ringing Apple to get a phone unlocked in that fashion.
    Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q3zfHU7asc and if it works enjoy your free phone. Personally I'd sell it.

That was my first thought, but I'm sure i've read that if find my iphone is enabled then you can't re-flash it back to factory because you have to disable the feature first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There could be stuff on the phone that was never backed up to the cloud or anything though, like pictures and videos that actually mean something to them.

Exactly, if I lost my phone I would want it returned regardless of whether it had been replaced or not.

I remember a local story not long back about a lady who lost her phone and it had photos of her daughter who had died and she hadn't backed it up so they were all gone and she was basically appealing for anyone who found it to return to her. Or what about the stories where people have lost their cameras and appeal for the memory card back because that's what they are more concerned with, the content on the device not the device itself.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the owner collapsed and died in the loo and the paramedics missed it. The poor families.

Bin it.
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member

This is not true anymore if you have the messenger app (which majority do now), it comes up straight away on your notifications.

OP you've done all you can and it's been months now, the owner has definitely got a new one by now. Either keep it, sell it or give it to a family member or friend :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    This is not true anymore if you have the messenger app (which majority do now), it comes up straight away on your notifications.

OP you've done all you can and it's been months now, the owner has definitely got a new one by now. Either keep it, sell it or give it to a family member or friend :)

That's not true, my wife has the app and she still didn't get a notification about a message from someone not on her list, she didn't know until someone sent a text to let her know.
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    That's not true, my wife has the app and she still didn't get a notification about a message from someone not on her list, she didn't know until someone sent a text to let her know.

Maybe it's to do with the profile settings as I will get a notification straight away on my phone even if I'm not friends with them.