The Symphony of Sorrowful Songs: Gorecki BBC 4

nightporternightporter Posts: 981
Forum Member
✭✭
The Symphony of Sorrowful Songs: Gorecki on BBC4 last night. It's been a while since I was so moved by anything on TV, wonderful music over a thought provoking, moving and sometimes harrowing film.
It was probably ignored as most people would be watching 'celebs' squealing at bugs, and this thread will disapear down the list as its not discussing whos got the best tits.

Its on again at BBC Four, 1:25am Fri, 26 Nov 2010 or on iPlayer. Get tissues ready.

Comments

• newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for this.
    One of the saddest and yet most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard, def going to tune into it.
    Me father brought me the CD many years ago, and I listened to it so often at the time. Horifically sad yet uplifting how the piece of music reached the main stream.
    Really grateful for the heads up to watch this. :)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is your bag I would also recommend Simon Russell-Beale’s excellent series, Sacred Music which seems to get a repeat every now and then.

I will abstain from commenting on Beale’s moobs in order to maintain the highbrow atmos of this thread.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His Symphony No 3 is a good test for any hifi set-up. The first few minutes are just a bass note. iPod users needn't bother with it.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Symphony of Sorrowful Songs: Gorecki on BBC4 last night. It's been a while since I was so moved by anything on TV, wonderful music over a thought provoking, moving and sometimes harrowing film.
    It was probably ignored as most people would be watching 'celebs' squealing at bugs, and this thread will disapear down the list as its not discussing whos got the best tits.

Its on again at BBC Four, 1:25am Fri, 26 Nov 2010 or on iPlayer. Get tissues ready.

I've checked and double checked and I can't find this program in the listings at all on either thursday or friday night .

?? :confused:
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I've checked and double checked and I can't find this program in the listings at all on either thursday or friday night .

?? :confused:

Me too, I set timer to tape BBC4 at that time last night but something else was on, I can't find it on the schedule at all :(
  • nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry about that, I messed up with the times. It was on at the time i put, 1:25am Fri, 26 Nov 2010, but It was several hours before my post. iPlayers your best bet now.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about that, I messed up with the times. It was on at the time i put, 1:25am Fri, 26 Nov 2010, but It was several hours before my post. iPlayers your best bet now.

well it's not listed in the radio times .
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well it's not listed in the radio times .

The 'Symphony of Sorrowful Songs' was a replacement programme for an Arena programme on Princess Diana and that Panorama interview with Martin Bashir, shown on Thursday at 10pm on BBC4.

It is up on BBC iPlayer until next Tuesday:

Symphony of Sorrowful Songs: Górecki

Henryk Górecki passed away on 12 November 2010. His Symphony of Sorrowful Songs is the most moving piece of music I have ever heard. The BBC4 documentary interviews Górecki and he movingly takes us through the symphony. He also takes us, the viewers, back to Auschwitz, accompanied by harrowing footage of the death camp; as well as more harrowing footage from the famines in Africa. :(

The legendary Dawn Upshaw is once again the soprano in this documentary; and she sings with such emotion and beauty. She puts so much into the piece and looks exhausted at the end.

I first heard this symphony on Classic FM, and it was them, I believe, who made the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs so popular in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._3_(Górecki)