Options

So what IS a "white Christmas"???

VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I always thought that a white Christmas was one when the ground was covered with snow. Not leftover patches, but a reasonably complete covering.

But I've read that bookies define it as one when snow is falling through the air.

The idea seems to be that it would be too easy for a Christmas to be white if the snow weren't actually falling at the time, but why would bookies care about that, since they could just set odds accordingly?

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    I always thought that a white Christmas was one when the ground was covered with snow. Not leftover patches, but a reasonably complete covering.

But I've read that bookies define it as one when snow is falling through the air.

The idea seems to be that it would be too easy for a Christmas to be white if the snow weren't actually falling at the time, but why would bookies care about that, since they could just set odds accordingly?

:confused:

Surely that would be easier to win as then they'd pay out even if the ground was too warm for it to "lay"

I think that it always used to be if snow fell on the London Met office roof sometime during the 24 hours of Christmas Day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Surely that would be easier to win as then they'd pay out even if the ground was too warm for it to "lay"

I think that it always used to be if snow fell on the London Met office roof sometime during the 24 hours of Christmas Day.

I always thought that until I read it's actually Buckingham palace roof - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/whitechristmas/
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I've always understood it to be that snow actually has to be falling on Christmas Day for it technically to be a White Christmas - who decided this little fact God only knows and I've never thought it particulalry sensible but I've heard it said that way for years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    No no, most places had a white christmas this year.

The bookies thing is something seperate.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought it had to actually snow, not just the compacted stuff still left from previous days. I didn't consider it a White Christmas this year as no snowfall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    I was under the impression that, should the treetops glisten, and you happen to noice children listen to hear sleigh bells in the snow, then that is a White Christmas.

And totaly separate to the whole betting on the fact, I was still under the impression a White Christmas was drawing open the curtains and seeing lovely snowflakes fall from the sky... not just see a load of leftover compacted snow and slush from the week before.
  • Options
    JC_GTA2010JC_GTA2010 Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My second White Xmas in a row, although it did not fall on xmas day this year, it was all white, so as long as there is lying snow I call it a white xmas, we had a flurry last xmas so definetly classed as a white xmas lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    RiverChelt wrote: »
    I was under the impression that, should the treetops glisten, and you happen to noice children listen to hear sleigh bells in the snow, then that is a White Christmas.

And totaly separate to the whole betting on the fact, I was still under the impression a White Christmas was drawing open the curtains and seeing lovely snowflakes fall from the sky... not just see a load of leftover compacted snow and slush from the week before.

Slush where? On xmas day most places it was all frozen good quality snow following many days and nights of sub zero temps, it hadn't even melted off the trees.

Far more scenic than seeing a few flakes fall against green fields which may win you a bet but not a white xmas for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Slush where?

On the path and road between my house and the Sudeley Arms, noticeable at both 10:55am and 3:05pm on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »

If I recall correctly the weather people classify it as a 'white christmas' if it snows in a certain part of London on Christmas Day. And the bookies use that.
  • Options
    ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officially, eg for the bookies - it's a single flake of snow falling on that day, which is seen by a weather forecaster.

I think it's just met office who say yes or no, and I believe it's not just London - it can be at any regional location they have.

Edit, more info on the meto website:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/whitechristmas/
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year's White Christmas report from the Met Office:
    White Christmas.

Using technology such as radar, webcams and ground based sensors combined with the expert opinion of experienced forecasters, the Met Office is able to declare whether or not (YES or NO) snow fell at the following locations on Christmas Day 2010 :- Aberdeen: YES. Glasgow: YES. Edinburgh: YES. London: NO. Liverpool: NO. Manchester: NO. Birmingham: NO. Cardiff: NO. Belfast: NO. Issued at 0010 on Sun 26 Dec 2010.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    According to our local newspaper, norfolk had its first white christmas for 15 years. But I don't remember seeing any snow, must have been a small isolated shower.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    According to our local newspaper, norfolk had its first white christmas for 15 years. But I don't remember seeing any snow, must have been a small isolated shower.

Could have been in the early hours - there was that line of showers coming down the North Sea which turned everything white here. That was early evening, but there were lots more further north at that time.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    if I look outside on christmas day and it's snowing for me that is a white christmas..and it did this year..bookies are a bit more fussy though
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely that would be easier to win as then they'd pay out even if the ground was too warm for it to "lay".
    Not necessarily. This year, for example, I saw far more days of 'old' snow on the ground, and even staying on trees, than days of snow that fell but quickly melted.

And, until the recent thaw, it turned to slush only on main roads where it had been 'gritted'.

BTW, I *hate* the grit, since it gives the pavements a layer of (often salty) mud, mixed with the actual grit. It makes walking harder than packed snow does, and it looks terrible. But that seems to be Britain's main 'answer' to snow: dump dirt on it. :(
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is the bookies definition which is used to determine if they pay out or not. There has to be a definition in that respect to avoid arguements.

However, for your own personal use, if there's snow on the ground and you want to call it a white christmas. Go ahead. Happy holidays :)
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is the bookies definition which is used to determine if they pay out or not. There has to be a definition in that respect to avoid arguements.

However, for your own personal use, if there's snow on the ground and you want to call it a white christmas. Go ahead. Happy holidays :)

Well exactly, why does anyone except bookies actually need a formal definition of "white Christmas"?
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had about 10 mins snowfall here and I glared at it which made it stop :D thankfully most of our compacted snow had been rained away!
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I believe it technically has to snow on Christmas Day for it classed as a white Christmas. But if there's already a reasonable layer of snow covering the ground on the day then many people would still consider it a white Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to be that, many years ago. It was laughable. Now, they have points across the UK checking for fresh snowfall on Xmas Day. Most of Scotland has had two consecutive White Christmases, this year and last.
  • Options
    youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A white christmas to bookies is whatever will cost them the least money
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A white christmas is when a single flake of snow falls onto one of the 11 uk met office observation locations