Westlife miming in concert shocker!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love westlife thought they were amazing.
    I'am really disapointed thought they always sung live
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So let me get this right.
    The rest of them are in Sync but Mark is out?:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of these acts will actually record a 'live' vocal before the tour and simply mime to it to give the impression that they are singing live. The gullible think 'oh, it sounds different to the recorded version so it must be live'!

Another trick is to make the 'singers' wear those ear pieces to fool people in to thinking that they are really singing live!
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of these acts will actually record a 'live' vocal before the tour and simply mime to it to give the impression that they are singing live. The gullible think 'oh, it sounds different to the recorded version so it must be live'!

Another trick is to make the 'singers' wear that ear pieces to fool people in to thinking that they are really singing live!

Seems like you can fake a lot of things in the music industry. Try being a fake in any other job, you'd get fired in no time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is totally spot on and artists have been doing it for years, its not only restricted to the crappy pop stars either.
    Often if a rock band perform on say a show they will record the instruments live before the show and when they play on the show the singer sings live but the instruments are pre-recorded. This is not due to the band not being able to play live but the logistics of putting sound equipment and getting the sound right in a small studio.
    A good example of this was bon jovi on the x-factor.

Also artists that do silly things on stage, britney, gaga e.t.c cant possible sing live while doing stunts, it's impossible, so they record live vocals but mine at the concert.
    The audience is still hearing the artist singing live somewhat but not in real time.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is totally spot on and artists have been doing it for years, its not only restricted to the crappy pop stars either.
    Often if a rock band perform on say a show they will record the instruments live before the show and when they play on the show the singer sings live but the instruments are pre-recorded. This is not due to the band not being able to play live but the logistics of putting sound equipment and getting the sound right in a small studio.

Also artists that do silly things on stage, britney, gaga e.t.c cant possible sing live while doing stunts, it's impossible, so they record live vocals but mine at the concert.
    The audience is still hearing the artist singing live somewhat but not in real time.

All these artists who dance or "do stunts" are usually shit singers in the first place and use all that guff to distract the stupid audience from this fact.

People like Spears and her promoters should not get a performance licence as they are not singing live and should not be allowed to charge ridiculous ticket prices for what is really just an overblown public appearance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    All these artists who dance or "do stunts" are usually shit singers in the first place and use all that guff to distract the stupid audience from this fact.

People like Spears and her promoters should not get a performance licence as they are not singing live and should not be allowed to charge ridiculous ticket prices for what is really just an overblown public appearance.

i totally agree, I thnk britney, gaga and the whole host of singers who dont sing live, there should be a statement when you buy tickets stating this is the case so people are aware.
    Lots of people are fooled into thinking they are hearing a singer live and at concerts it can be hard to pick it up due to the distance the artist is from the audience.
    Its ok if thats what artists want to do but the buying public should be made aware of this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I have seen arguments from record companies and managements that a huge amount of money is spent on getting the act right, the song, the marketing, they refuse to let them sing live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not according to Elton John.

As he's seen her in person or on telly. Elton can be wrong sometimes darling.
    I dont believe for one minute madonna sings live for the full duration of her concert, saw one on TV once, I only saw it for 10 minutes and it looked like she was miming the whole time.

TV, it's the dvd version which as the anal retentive bitch she is gets shitly spruced up. Ask people who have seen her in person. It's her voice when you're there, imperfections and all. Check youtube vids of fans at the concert you'll hear her a whole octave lower than the dvd fix-ups in some songs XD

Anyways I'm against miming on stage so much like that. Singing over backing track I completely accept but not mimery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT35vD4tf9s
    Here you go, fan vid of her live. Not the best but that's most certainly her voice over backing track.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they should be ashamed.unfortunately, making as much loot as they can get their grubby mitts on is their main priority.seems if genuine talent is what you're after,the singles chart acts(and album in many cases) are probably best to be avoided.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i totally agree, I thnk britney, gaga and the whole host of singers who dont sing live, there should be a statement when you buy tickets stating this is the case so people are aware.
    Lots of people are fooled into thinking they are hearing a singer live and at concerts it can be hard to pick it up due to the distance the artist is from the audience.
    Its ok if thats what artists want to do but the buying public should be made aware of this.

Go to a Gaga gig, or watch any of her TV performances. She sings OVER a backing track, but does not lip synch AT ALL! Just saying...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to a Gaga gig, or watch any of her TV performances. She sings OVER a backing track, but does not lip synch AT ALL! Just saying...

Oh I know, I've been there you know when she's live.

There was the early fame era when her backing music died and she kept performing acapella, errm last year her mic went off in alejandro and all you heard was backing music for a while.

There have been moments when bad sound crew have set her backing track to what I call "Britney mode" like the Feb 18th 2010 Manchester date. Such a bloody crime.

Her piano sets are always 100% with no backing on tour though, people can't debate that at all.

Telephone is the only backing led song because she dances a little, the rest carry a balance of live and backing.

Geordielady has just never seen some of these girls live to know the truth, but with sceptics today ANYONE could be miming in their eyes even when they fudge up the lyrics as it's "planned"

It's only definitely false when theres the same voice notes as the album and no mic contact. Otherwise I take the positive and believe it's live with backing track.
  • RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna sings some songs live, and some are lip synched.
    On her last tour every song was live with the exception of Give It 2 Me. That's bout 18 live songs, perfectly fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if it is billed as a live gig and then the 'artist' mimes for all or part of the show it is still misleading and serves only to deceive the gullible ones amongst their fans.

See also Cheryl Cole.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Califa wrote: »
    As he's seen her in person or on telly. Elton can be wrong sometimes darling.

TV, it's the dvd version which as the anal retentive bitch she is gets shitly spruced up. Ask people who have seen her in person. It's her voice when you're there, imperfections and all. Check youtube vids of fans at the concert you'll hear her a whole octave lower than the dvd fix-ups in some songs XD

Anyways I'm against miming on stage so much like that. Singing over backing track I completely accept but not mimery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT35vD4tf9s
    Here you go, fan vid of her live. Not the best but that's most certainly her voice over backing track.

I never said she didn't sing live at all, not her complete concert, its impossible to do the things she does on stage on sing all the time but many people get fooled into thinking these sort of artists sing live all the time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its impossible to do some of the things that gaga does on stage and sing live, of course sitting down and not doing stunts then she can sing live and am sure she does simg live at some stage during her concert, massive rip off if she dont.

Miming, or backing track its all not acceptable. But for bog standard pop artists I doubt fans worry if they are singing live or not, they much prefer to see artists putting on big dancing shows rather then seeing them actually singing live.
    Thats why I dont go and see pop artists live. ;)
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like you can fake a lot of things in the music industry. Try being a fake in any other job, you'd get fired in no time.
    I like Westlife but that was pathetic. Their songs do not require loads of dancing and they are not the hardest to sing. If they are going to take the easy route and mime, they could at least put in the effort to get it right :mad:

Imagine going into Starbucks and asking for a coffee. The assistant mimes making one and hands you an empty cup. There is no way you'd pay for it!

Whatever about people miming on some shows during a promotional show which might not be equipped to deal with live performances (TV studio's such as GMTV spring to mind) there is never in my mind any excuse for miming on the XF. It is a studio designed for live performances and if artists and their management can't be arsed to spend the time and money into it properly, then I don't see why I should spend my time and money buying their record. I'll mime buying the record by downloading it from YouTube instead ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever about people miming on some shows during a promotional show which might not be equipped to deal with live performances (TV studio's such as GMTV spring to mind) there is never in my mind any excuse for miming on the XF. It is a studio designed for live performances and if artists and their management can't be arsed to spend the time and money into it properly, then I don't see why I should spend my time and money buying their record. I'll mime buying the record by downloading it from YouTube instead ;)

What I said about bon jovi was jon sang live but the band did not play their instruments live, that was recorded earlier in the day somewhere in an undisclosed place in London I think they said.
    Its not possible for big bands like bon jovi to perform a totally live song in a very small place like the x-factor studios, getting the music side of it right is near on impossible and it could sound awful to the viewer at home.
    Big bands are not geared to play just one song on little stages unless they did an unplugged version.
    But there is no excuse for smaller acts to not perform live on x-factor and your right, singing live should be default for guest artists otherwise dont get then on the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I said about bon jovi was jon sang live but the band did not play their instruments live, that was recorded earlier in the day somewhere in an undisclosed place in London I think they said.
    Its not possible for big bands like bon jovi to perform a totally live song in a very small place like the x-factor studios, getting the music side of it right is near on impossible and it could sound awful to the viewer at home.
    Big bands are not geared to play little stages unless they did an unplugged version.
    But there is no excuse for smaller acts to not perform live on x-factor and your right, singing should be live by default for guest artsits otherwise dont get then on the show.
    I still don't buy that. There are not that many parts to a live band. A show like American Idol managed to have a live band accompany the contestants on show after show. On earlier series of XF, Big Band week had a full live band. I don't believe that a live band such as Bon Jovi, who have years of experience putting on live shows, couldn't put together a live performance on a stage such as XF. A band generally consists of lead singer, lead guitarist, base guitar and drummer. On a show such as XF, which is supposed to showcase raw talent, there is simply no excuse (other than lazyness or cost saving) for miming, be that either vocals or instruments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still don't buy that. There are not that many parts to a live band. A show like American Idol managed to have a live band accompany the contestants on show after show. On earlier series of XF, Big Band week had a full live band. I don't believe that a live band such as Bon Jovi, who have years of experience putting on live shows, couldn't put together a live performance on a stage such as XF.

Its not as simple as that for a live band that is geared towards stadium gigs to do something that must be like someones living room to them, maybe it was time constrants put on them by x-factor, it may not have been totally their decision and it was only 1 song not a set. X-factor is only rubbish anyway, maybe they didn't think it was worth the effort to go to long sound set ups just so 1 song sounds right to the audience and people at home.
    Bon jovi very rarely not perform live so there must have been problems with them doing it, I doubt it had anything to do with cost or being lazy at all. Jon did say that logistically it was not possible, he did not say anymore then that. I doubt they would have gone off and recorded it elsewhere if it was possible to do it in the x-factor studio as if anything that would have been more expensive and hassle to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not as simple as that for a live band that is geared towards stadium gigs to do something that must be like someones living room to them, maybe it was time constrants put on them by x-factor, it may not have been totally their decision and it was only 1 song not a set. X-factor is only rubbish anyway, maybe they didn't think it was worth the effort to go to long sound set ups just so 1 song sounds right to the audience and people at home.
    Bon jovi very rarely not perform live so there must have been problems with them doing it, I doubt it had anything to do with cost or being lazy at all. Jon did say that logistically it was not possible, he did not say anymore then that. I doubt they would have gone off and recorded it elsewhere if it was possible to do it in the x-factor studio as if anything that would have been more expensive and hassle to them.
    I'm sorry but my point still stands. If artists/bands and their mangement want people to invest their time and money in them, then in return, artists and their management have to put in the time and effort into putting on a good live show. On something like the XF, where the studio is designed for contestants to put on a live show, then there is no excuse for bands such as Bon Jovi to scrimp on the live performance.

I have to ask, if you have no problem with them pretending to put on a live performance to save time and money, do you have a problem with people who save time and money by pretending to support the artist by downloading the performance by means other than Itunnes? If artists and their management can cry "I can't afford it" they how can they get upset with people who illegally download and claim the same thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but my point still stands. If artists/bands and their mangement want people to invest their time and money in them, then in return, artists and their management have to put in the time and effort into putting on a good live show. On something like the XF, where the studio is designed for contestants to put on a live show, then there is no excuse for bands such as Bon Jovi to scrimp on the live performance.

I have to ask, if you have no problem with them pretending to put on a live performance to save time and money, do you have a problem with people who save time and money by pretending to support the artist by downloading the performance by means other than Itunnes? If artists and their management can cry "I can't afford it" they how can they get upset with people who illegally download and claim the same thing?

Bon Jovi didn't do it to promote themselves, with well over 150 millon album sales I think they are a bit beyond promoting thenselves now, they done it as a favour. They just sang an old song thats 25 or so years old, not promoting a new one.
    Bon Jovi made no secret of the fact they were not playing instruments live, most would not have expected it really, very few big bands perform live in this sort of conditions.
    They have performed intimate gigs in places of a simular size to x-factor but for a full set setting up a proper sound system to deal with the relevant acoustic's makes more sense. The x-factor studios are designed for singers not really for stadium rock bands.
    I do agree that if its feasable for a band to play completly live in the x-factor studios then they should do it.
    Would guess Ritchie and co would have felt a bit silly standing their pretending to play instruments, its not the norm fo them.
    And as I said above maybe it was an x-factor decision not bon jovi's, jon did not say they made the decision only that it wasn't logistically possible.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its impossible to do some of the things that gaga does on stage and sing live

Like what? Don't make stuff up just because you don't like her and seem to have something against someone putting on a big show. On her tour, she dances. She's carried a few times. She plays piano for a couple of songs. All her other set pieces take place during instrumental bits. What's impossible?

I refer you to Alice Cooper, who has been doing huge production shows for over 40 years, with props, pyros, guillotines, snakes...never once has he mimed at a live show. What makes you think Lady Gaga needs to, other than your apparent need to put her down at every turn?

Likewise, Lady Gaga does sing live at her concerts. No matter how much you hate her, until you've got proof to the contrary, don't sling baseless accusations around. I've been going to gigs for over 20 years and saw her twice on her last tour, once from 5 feet away. I wasn't even a fan before the first show - I was there to accompany my gf. I left a fan purely because of the strength of her live performance, which was certainly one of the strongest I've ever seen out of any female pop artist.

Her Grammy performances (both this years and the previous year's with Elton John) are a similar level of production and activity to her live show. Since the DVD of her tour isn't out yet, they're also about the closest thing to proshot live footage of her for now. Both show that it is not 'impossible'.
  • -Jodie--Jodie- Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to about five different Westlife tours, & I don't recall them singing live at any of 'em.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Likewise, Lady Gaga does sing live at her concerts. No matter how much you hate her, until you've got proof to the contrary, don't sling baseless accusations around.

And how do I hate her :confused:, she is not relevent enough to hate, could not name even one of her songs.
    I know a few people who saw her live and all confirmed she is not singing live all the time, of course she sings live some of the time, never doubted that.
    Gaga is in the same mould as britiney and madonna and both these artists are mega compared to gaga and both of these dont sing live all the time.
    I doubt there are many chart pop stars that sing live 100% of the concert as has been stated here about westlife.
    And people who go to watch these sort of artists and more caught up in the shows they put on rather then what songs they may be singing live or not, most dont care less.