Options

Neighbour has died leaving old cat - advice please!

JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Last week the lady who lives in the flat above us died. Police are so far unable to locate any next of kin and her elderly cat has decided that I'm it's next food and shelter provider. It's either sitting outside my back door yowling or it's asleep nearby ready to start up the moment it hears me.

It's not in a good condition, it's thin, it's haws are up, flies follow it around....... I'm feeding it outside but can't let it in as my OH has asthma and cats (sadly) are one of his triggers.

I feel very sorry for it because it's totally confused and distressed. I've phoned the RSPCA but they've told me that basically it's my problem, not very helpful at all.

I honestly think that the best thing to do is to have it put down because it's circumstances aren't going to improve but it's not my cat and I don't know if I can make that decision. I can't take much more of seeing it in such distress - if I could take it in I would because I don't think it's got much life left in it but I dread going outside now because it's desperation is breaking my heart.

Also, and I hate to be mercenary - but I didn't ask for this situation! - I can't really afford London vet fees!

So, two things - do you think that having it put down would be the right thing to do? and does anyone know of anywhere in the East London area that would do it at a reasonable price?

I feel so sorry for the poor thing.

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try Cats Protection. They re-home elderly cats like this one.

CP website

There maybe other smaller cat charities in your area too - have a look on yell or google.
    Cat has probably been somewhat neglected as its owner deteriorated, but may well perk up with some expert care.
  • Options
    India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just going to say Cat Protection (like Shrike).

Here's their helpline and you can also e mail.

http://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/about-us-index/helpline/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, of course having it killed wouldn't be the right thing!

The RSPCA is not the only animal welfare charity.Like Shrike said, search for ones near your local area. One of them will be able to take the cat in if you explain the circumstances.

Can you put a box with a blanket out, or anything to give the cat some shelter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

I don't WANT to have it put down unless a vet tells me that's the best thing to do.

I've emailed my nearest Cat Protection, I didn't know they took very old cats (she's 17 to my knowledge, possibly older).

I hope I haven't come across as some kind of cat hater as I love cats and can't bear to see this one suffering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, of course having it killed wouldn't be the right thing!

The RSPCA is not the only animal welfare charity.Like Shrike said, search for ones near your local area. One of them will be able to take the cat in if you explain the circumstances.

Can you put a box with a blanket out, or anything to give the cat some shelter?

At the moment I've put a box and blanket in the bottom shelf of one of those mini greenhouses so it's protected from the rain if it goes in there but it does tend to sit outside the door regardless........
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    It's not in a good condition, it's thin, it's haws are up, flies follow it around...
    If its owner was elderly and unwell, then she perhaps wasn't looking after the cat as well as she should. In a new home, with a bit of tlc, it may get a new lease of life. I hope the CPL can help - increasingly I detest the RSPCA, though I do support the local branches which have to fund themselves and receive nothing from central office...
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like others have said, Cats Protection is the best option. The RSPCA is the last place I'd go (as you found out).

Good luck.

(No you haven't come across as "some kind of cat hater". Quite the opposite.)
  • Options
    RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Celia Hammond Animal Trust are in London (Lewisham & Canning Town I think) and I'm sure they would help you. They help feral cats in and those from overcrowded homes, all sorts of situations really.They are really committed to helping cats and would do the best thing for the cat after assessing it, I'm sure.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please let us know what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much!

I'll definitely let you know what happens x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you pm me more details I will put a. Facebook plea out for help.
    With regards too pts in my area I once had too pay for a feral kitten nearly £ 50.
    With regards too the RSPCA if you ask for help and have said your feeding it they will not help you as they class it as your own
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope you find someone to help, it might be worth looking for forums online, when my brother was in hospital last year he left his old cat alone and i couldnt take it, he asked me to rehome it, i tried rspca,cats protections all the local shelters but no one would help, i was told by the rspca because i had access to the cat he was my responsibility...i found someone through http://www.catchat.org/forum.html who took him,
    my brother never made it out of hospital. Maybe because your neighbour has already passed away you might have more luck than i did...i hope you do!!

Edit...just noticed catchat mentioned above :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    Can you pm me more details I will put a. Facebook plea out for help.
    With regards too pts in my area I once had too pay for a feral kitten nearly £ 50.
    With regards too the RSPCA if you ask for help and have said your feeding it they will not help you as they class it as your own

Have done - thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've put a plea out jess
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    I've put a plea out jess

Thank You!!

I've contacted 4 different places today and they're all really sympathetic and helpful but they just don't have any room. Apparently there have been an awful lot of animals dumped this year, especially now as people are going on holiday :confused::confused::mad:

I guess if I was to just show up with the cat in a box and leave it there and walk off they'd be obliged to do something but I'm not that type of person - I always do things the right way round! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you on Facebook at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'll pm you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant, what a lovely page. I'll try and get a photo on there shortly. She's tucked right up in her box at the moment sleeping off a steamed fish lunch....and she managed to eat it all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be brilliant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a picture there now. She looks very sad! I hope someone will like her.

Thank you so much, at least I feel I'm doing something positive now instead of just hitting brick walls!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is beautiful. I hit a brick wall all the time too as well. So I know where your coming from.
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no! Poor thing I hope you find him/her somewhere :)