Options

Tristan MacManus and Joanne Clifton join Strictly

Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Announcement on facebook by BBC Strictly Come Dancing

BREAKING NEWS: We have 2 new Pro Dancers in town. Please welcome Tristan MacManus and Joanne Clifton to the Strictly family.
Also coming back to the dancefloor this year is Natalie Lowe.
Sadly both Artem Chigvintsev and James Jordan will not be returning to the series, alongside Anya Garnis who will not partner a celebrity, but will remain part of the choreography team.
We wish them all the best of luck!

Comments

• Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    No real surprises there, although I imagine there will be much weeping and wailing from the Artem fans.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Really? Wow. Two great new bookings there in my eyes, this'll be interesting. And I'm glad that Natalie's back, too.

But I thought Anya was quite good last year - I was looking forward to seeing her with somebody more... well, charismatic. And I liked Artem too. I guess he's been lured back by DWtS for good. At least he'll be happier choreography-wise there!
  • Options
    tallulahulatallulahula Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    I have to say that I will miss James Jordan and wish him all the best, never really liked Artem, but all the best to him too and I hope the newbs fit in well. Looking forward to more news.
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanne will up the standard of the ballroom significantly. Don't know much about Tristan. Was he on DWTS?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spin turn wrote: »
    Joanne will up the standard of the ballroom significantly. Don't know much about Tristan. Was he on DWTS?

He was, but always got the duffer celebrities (despite managing to do fairly well with them. He even got Nancy Grace, one of the US' least popular women, to the semis), so I hope he at least gets a shot on Strictly. The funny thing is that he unsuccessfully auditioned to be a pro in the year Artem joined.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Fantastic fantastic fantastic!

Love Tristan and Joanna is a great dancer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does this mean that Aliona's back? Blimey.

(also, cue the 'Clifton invasion of Strictly begins' comments. I'm presuming Kevin will still dance with Karen)
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not at all surprised to see Joanne made part of the Strictly family - great news if you ask me

No idea who Tristan McManus is :blush:

Could not be happier to see the back of James Jordan and tbh I was getting bored with Artems choreography and his inability to stick with the rules within a dance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Wow. Two great new bookings there in my eyes, this'll be interesting. And I'm glad that Natalie's back, too.

But I thought Anya was quite good last year - I was looking forward to seeing her with somebody more... well, charismatic. And I liked Artem too. I guess he's been lured back by DWtS for good. At least he'll be happier choreography-wise there!

Yes, me too ~ I'm more than a little disappointed that she's been sidelined this series. :(
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to see Tristan joining and that Natalie is back.

So, losing 2 males and gaining 1, losing 1 female and gaining 2 - equal numbers again this year then.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Artem. :cry: He was easily the best looking pro so I'll miss having him on my screem every week. However, his choreography was far to 'contemporary' for my liking, he was always adding little things in there which looked out of place.

I'm glad to see Natalie back, I always felt like it was her who supposed to be with Ben last series and Kristina with Tony, but they swapped them around after Natalie's injury.

Tristan never made much impression over on DWTS, but he's Irish which is nice to see. I'm also pleased to see Joanne.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I assume, then, that Artem is moving to DWTS- he'll be missed, for sure. So will Anya, odd she's not returning in a full capacity as she was the best performing female pro last year.

Anton, Aliona and Robin clinging onto their jobs yet again...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    Im not at all surprised to see Joanne made part of the Strictly family - great news if you ask me

No idea who Tristan McManus is :blush:

Could not be happier to see the back of James Jordan and tbh I was getting bored with Artems choreography and his inability to stick with the rules within a dance

Tristan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdooVVHydV4

He was a pro on the American version up until this year. I remember Len commenting that he was the only one who actually stuck to the rules, so I highly doubt he'll be a replacement for Artem choreography-wise!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I assume, then, that Artem is moving to DWTS- he'll be missed, for sure. So will Anya, odd she's not returning in a full capacity as she was the best performing female pro last year.

Where does it say Aliona is coming back?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not surprised Anton's staying, they'll want to cling on to some familiarity after the departure of Bruce!

I can't believe they're letting Aliona stay after she openly slagged them off last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well she's not listed in the departing pros, and if she was leaving the show she would have been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and Robin and Anton for that matter :):confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

She's not mentioned in the list of outgoing pros so I assume she's got the job again.

That leaves us with-

Natalie
    Joanne
    Ola
    Iveta
    Kristina
    Janette (I'm also surprised she's still there)
    Aliona
  • Options
    Forum Member

As with Aliona, they're not mentioned in dispatches. Usually, it's just the incoming and outgoing pros that get a mention in this press release- the rest are assumed to be staying put.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well she's not listed in the departing pros, and if she was leaving the show she would have been.

She was Natalie's replacement last year having left. Natalie is back so ...? Otherwise the male/female ratio doesn't add up surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's not mentioned in the list of outgoing pros so I assume she's got the job again.

That leaves us with-

Natalie
    Joanne
    Ola
    Iveta
    Kristina
    Janette (I'm also surprised she's still there)
    Aliona

You can add Karen to that list. Looks like another year of 15 contestants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not especially a fan of James, but I'd rather he had stayed than Robin.

Anton has to stay, much as it pains me to say so ~ who else will gamely chaperone the doddery old duffers around to such 'hilarious' comedic effect?
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted about Artem. Disappointed not to see Anya given another celeb. Interested to see Joanne. I do love Tristan though. He's funny and kind and loves teaching. Not the most interesting choreographer, mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can add Karen to that list. Looks like another year of 15 contestants.

Oh i completely forgot her :o

Unless they throw in a curveball extra male pro- I don't want an uneven split again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tristan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdooVVHydV4

He was a pro on the American version up until this year. I remember Len commenting that he was the only one who actually stuck to the rules, so I highly doubt he'll be a replacement for Artem choreography-wise!

thanks