Options

BRMB'S Phil Upton to take over Radio WM's Breakfast show

Chrissy1978ukChrissy1978uk Posts: 233
Forum Member
The BBC has swooped to poach one of independent radio's brighest stars to host its prestige breakfast show,it was understood today.
Music dj Phil Upton looks set to switch to Radio WM's main regional breakfast show slot from his current job at BRMB.
He will replace Adrian Goldberg as the BBC'S new dawn star at the end of the summer a source close to the station said today.
its expected that Radio WM will annonce the surprise signing on Monday.

Comments

• Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC has swooped to poach one of independent radio's brighest stars to host its prestige breakfast show,it was understood today.
    Music dj Phil Upton looks set to switch to Radio WM's main regional breakfast show slot from his current job at BRMB.
    He will replace Adrian Goldberg as the BBC'S new dawn star at the end of the summer a source close to the station said today.

Where does information come from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Todays Birmingham mail its front page news got the copy in front of me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Todays Birmingham mail its front page news got the copy in front of me.

I did a search on icbirmingham.com and couldn't find anything relevant but looking again the last date for news was yesterday so it looks like they've not updated it today.

It's certainly an interesting signing.

Was surprised to hear he's on air this morning. When he first left BRMB for Heart back in 98, he was on gardening leave straight away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's different this time.
    Heart and BRMB are rivals after the same audience, last time he went up Broad St to broadcast in roughly the same timeslot so the gardening leave clause kicked in last time around.

As Phil is off to do a show which will be a heavy speech based show, for a slightly older audience on the Beeb at a earlier time of day, I guess that is enough of a gearshift to allow him to carry on at BRMB for a small while yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartS wrote:
    It's different this time.
    Heart and BRMB are rivals after the same audience, last time he went up Broad St to broadcast in roughly the same timeslot so the gardening leave clause kicked in last time around.

As Phil is off to do a show which will be a heavy speech based show, for a slightly older audience on the Beeb at a earlier time of day, I guess that is enough of a gearshift to allow him to carry on at BRMB for a small while yet.

That's a good point. Personally, I'm hoping that BRMB will allow him to have a proper swansong this time like they did with Les Ross.

This news has reminded me of when Phil first hosted the mid-morning slot on BRMB and Les Ross handed over to him saying "I remember when he was Funky Phil and in touch with the youth, now he's the housewife's favourite. How times have changed!" And how times are about to change again!
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now thats a suprise signing by WM Phil Upton!! for breakfast! i do like phil on BRMB he sounds like a real music DJ
    Lets hope that he makes the move from music radio to a mainly speech based station smoother than his friend Les Ross did?

I thought they might have been grooming Nick Piercy for the job as he has been siting in on various shows for a while now
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    RadioJohn wrote:
    Now thats a suprise signing by WM Phil Upton!! for breakfast! i do like phil on BRMB he sounds like a real music DJ
    Lets hope that he makes the move from music radio to a mainly speech based station smoother than his friend Les Ross did?

I thought they might have been grooming Nick Piercy for the job as he has been siting in on various shows for a while now

Great news for BRMB, hopefully they will replace him with a DJ that prefers music to his own boring voice.

A good opportunity for BRMB to move forward.
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    That will be a big loss to BRMB - he never mentioned anything on his sat mornin show this week

JH
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to really like his Anthem City shows on Galaxy. He sounded really into it. Bit of a waste of talent to have him on a BBC local I would have thought but hey, they are probably paying much better than GCAP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Martin_S wrote:
    I used to really like his Anthem City shows on Galaxy. He sounded really into it. Bit of a waste of talent to have him on a BBC local I would have thought but hey, they are probably paying much better than GCAP.

I'm not sure why you think a waste of talent. Although I think the guy has very little you obviously appreciate his talking. Moving to a talk-show station will surely give you more opportunity to hear his voice.
  • Options
    NewsbuffNewsbuff Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am amazed by this news. Not that I don't think he is capable of making the show 'his own' just that he has always been a personality DJ seemingly aimed at a younger audience at both Heart and especially BRMB.
    Maybe WM are changing the breakfast show a bit from the serious hard news style, or maybe he will adapt to it better than his mate Les Ross did when he was on WM breakfast.
    Best of luck to him - By the way I would have thought G-Cap or BRMB would pay more money than a BBC local station, but for breakfast, maybe not.
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Wires wrote:
    Great news for BRMB, hopefully they will replace him with a DJ that prefers music to his own boring voice.

A good opportunity for BRMB to move forward.

So its clear you do not like Phil Upton's style of presentation then??
    I like the DJ i listen to on the radio to have a voice! and say something in between the music they play other than the robotic "that Was" & "This Is" stuff that any dumbo can say,
    I think Phil is a desent music DJ, we will have to see thuogh if he makes it on a speech based station?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At 1st I was worried about this signing but phil turns 40 on october 9th and i think there is cut off age for playing kiddie pop music so i think phil will do well in this new job so good luck phil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RadioJohn wrote:
    So its clear you do not like Phil Upton's style of presentation then??
    I like the DJ i listen to on the radio to have a voice! and say something in between the music they play other than the robotic "that Was" & "This Is" stuff that any dumbo can say,
    I think Phil is a desent music DJ, we will have to see thuogh if he makes it on a speech based station?

Sure a DJ that just says"that was....this is" would become boring similarly like the Juke-box stations format. However a DJ who insists on saying 3 sentences when 3 words will do is equally irritating, so does the perpetual comments about trivia in his daily life. OK I haven't listened to him for a while now so perhaps he has changed. Also perhaps he will be given more important topics to discuss on WM which may suit him and the music won't get in the way. (as it appears it does for him at the moment)
  • Options
    Aldridge AndyAldridge Andy Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Does Les Ross still have a show on WM, as his DJ Profile has been pushed ot the back ppages, and it doesnt mention him having a show.

Good luck to Phil Upton, one of Birminghams true local DJ's.
  • Options
    latenightjockylatenightjocky Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Hmmm... quite surprised to hear this news, but he more I think of it, I think it'll be good!
    I always thought Phil Upton could be one of the few who could switch from robot music radio to speech - you only have to hear him on BRMB to know that he's got a bit of personality!
    Simon Mayo and Nicky Campbell made the switch from music based radio to speech based and, in my opinion, did it very well, so there's no reason why Phil Upton can't move in the same direction! (Although Les Ross, as mentioned elsewhere has been a bit of a disappointment)
    It'll be an interesting listen! He's only got to do Kerrang and Saga and he'll have been on every radio station in Birmingham!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well here is the confirmation
    www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/june_06/19/wm.shtml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alternatly go to bbc.co.uk/pressoffice
    click on todays storys or wait till tomorrow and go to 19th june press releases
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Was Phil on air today, or has he gone on gardening leave? If he was on air did he mention the move, Elliot and Caroline certainly did a few times early in the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's only got to do Kerrang and Saga and he'll have been on every radio station in Birmingham!!

He's only got to do Kerrang, Saga, Galaxy, Radio XL, oh and the dab locals and he'll have been on every local radio in B'ham....gasp.

The sooner he goes the better, let some new blood in who wants to take the station forward rather than promote himself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Hi

I'm gutted about Phil leaving,but i suppose he is nearly 40,so maybe time to mve towards a more adult audience.

however this could be a chance for Simon Clarke to get his own show. He's already proved himself as being an excellent presenter.

Was phil on air today?

When will his gardening leave commence?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Hi

Yes Phil was on air this morning and said he would be on again tomorrow

i heard only part of the show but no mention of him leaving

anyone else heard anything said?

JH
  • Options
    NewsbuffNewsbuff Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was he on Galaxy doıng a show when he was at Heart full tıme?
    I always remeber he had a reputatıon for doıng dance musıc shows as well as daytıme ones.
    I thınk as someone mentıoned he ıs maybe lookıng to broadcast to an olderş speech based audıence and I am sure he wıll do ıt well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newsbuff wrote:
    Was he on Galaxy doıng a show when he was at Heart full tıme?<snip>

He was, it was a weekend 'anthems' sort of show. For the first year or so it was carried on all the Galaxy stations but after that it was only on 102.2.