Fans Blinded By Their Fandom

13»

Comments

• Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabala wrote: »
    The thing with Morrissey is he talks a load of crap but I'm able to just enjoy his music. I remember reading about a time when he stormed off the stage because he could smell meat cooking, prime example of me not agreeing with him. He's there to perform, not complain about burgers. But, in my mind he's something of a lyrical genius and I love him for that. It's good to be able to separate the person from the product.

And I've read that thread, a lot of people are getting very wound up about it. It's a shame really because I've got friends who won't check out The Smiths because they don't like Morrissey.

That's why I think social media is not a good thing for some musical artists. I think it's a mistake by certain artists that they spend more time promoting their social views and personality than their actual music. I guess they think they are being funny and clever or something. There are a lot of artists whose music I love that if I knew their view on every single topic I would find plenty of things to disagree with and I probably would go off of them. But they don't promote their views all the time. Sometimes it's better to keep certain things to yourself and just focus on your music.
  • Options
    FabalaFabala Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    That's why I think social media is not a good thing for some musical artists. I think it's a mistake by certain artists that they spend more time promoting their social views and personality than their actual music. I guess they think they are being funny and clever or something. There are a lot of artists whose music I love that if I knew their view on every single topic I would find plenty of things to disagree with and I probably would go off of them. But they don't promote their views all the time. Sometimes it's better to keep certain things to yourself and just focus on your music.

It's a free country, he can say what he wants and I can ignore it. Problem is a lot of people can't. They view their favourite artists in such a subjective light that they'll believe anything they say, follow their political opinions and forget to use their own mind. Too many people can't look at their idols critically.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabala wrote: »
    It's a free country, he can say what he wants and I can ignore it. Problem is a lot of people can't. They view their favourite artists in such a subjective light that they'll believe anything they say, follow their political opinions and forget to use their own mind. Too many people can't look at their idols critically.

Or do you think it's the other way around? I think sometimes people are drawn to idolize certain artists because they already agree with their opinions and that's part of why they become attached to them particularly those artists that are outspoken about certain issues. I can't really see someone changing their opinions radically because they like someone's music. I have very liberal views and most of my favourite artists have those same views. But I always had those views even before I got into their music so I can't say they really influenced me that much. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are vegans and animal rights activists and get into Morrissey because they are happy they found an artist who has their same views. But I can't see that many people who are meat eaters all of a sudden saying oh, I must become a vegan because Morrissey says so.
    But one thing I don't like is when an artist spouts off on a political topic when they really have no idea what they are talking about and don't take the time to research the issue. If you're going to have an opinion at least educate yourself.
    But I think some artists get too self important and think just because they are famous they can change everyone's political views. So I personally don't like it when artists go on and on about their political views in a preachy way.
  • Options
    FabalaFabala Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Or do you think it's the other way around? I think sometimes people are drawn to idolize certain artists because they already agree with their opinions and that's part of why they become attached to them particularly those artists that are outspoken about certain issues. I can't really see someone changing their opinions radically because they like someone's music. I have very liberal views and most of my favourite artists have those same views. But I always had those views even before I got into their music so I can't say they really influenced me that much. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are vegans and animal rights activists and get into Morrissey because they are happy they found an artist who has their same views. But I can't see that many people who are meat eaters all of a sudden saying oh, I must become a vegan because Morrissey says so.
    But one thing I don't like is when an artist spouts off on a political topic when they really have no idea what they are talking about and don't take the time to research the issue. If you're going to have an opinion at least educate yourself.
    But I think some artists get too self important and think just because they are famous they can change everyone's political views. So I personally don't like it when artists go on and on about their political views in a preachy way.

I have a friend who became vegan because of Morrissey and I thought that was silly. Obviously I'm not saying every fan is that way and yes, sometimes it can work the other way around. I think my general point is that some people take fandom too far.
    Agree about the political point, nothing worse than an artist forcing their often unresearched opinions down my throat.
  • Options
    LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great point, Gigi. It's fine to voice one's opinion as everyone has a right to freedom of speech. And it's fine to be a positive role model. But attempting to force that opinion on others is not the way to go.
  • Options
    habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    Rihanna still hasn't got a #1 album. I mean, just release the album in January...problem bloody solved! 197k looks good in January! :D

Rihanna has had 3 number one albums and Rated R reached number 2! not so bad
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    habanala wrote: »
    Rihanna has had 3 number one albums and Rated R reached number 2! not so bad

I mean USA wise. She's massive here. Def jam need to pick better dates.
  • Options
    habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    I mean USA wise. She's massive here. Def jam need to pick better dates.

Oh ok sorry. Is the 147,000 what she sold in the us or uk in her first week? Her record label definitely should of waited, they rushed the end of the loud era to make way for talk that talk. They should of waited till about may, We found love would of been an even bigger hit being played all summer and she could of released the following singles later in the year.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say, I have to agree with this. I think Madonna is a complete legend but her new stuff apart from Masterpiece is terrible and she looks great for her age but is in danger of becoming mutton as lamb if she is not careful and the vocals on GMAYL and GGW sounded awfully artificial and autotuned and like they've been sped up out of all recognition.

I'm an older fan and I don't remember (apart from MG and LAV) where her voice sounded so babyish, which was ok when she was 25 but not at 53!

I'm not bashing so I don't want all the M fans on my tail calling me ageist because I'm not.

your not 'bashing' and your not 'ageist' either, & you shouldnt be afraid to come on here to express an opinion over Madge if it differs from general consensus.

Imho, your points are quite vaild.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cloudy wrote: »
    There are a good number of huge Madonna fans who have been critical of her latest offerings both on here and on icon her offical fan club site, i am one of those people.
    The new singles smack of trying to follow trends rather than set them and Madonna is better than what her 2 singles from MDNA have been.
    I think it maybe an age thing for Madonna fans, i am old enough to have been a fan in the 80's when Madonna singles/albums were fantastic. The older Madonna fan remembers what those days were like and are being more critical.
    I still think she is able to make great music again she just needs to find the right people to work with, something she was always good at (Bedtime Stories excluded). It does not appear that Martin Solveig was the right choice this time.
    The album is not out yet and the singles may well sit better on the concept of the album.
    I would also agree with unique to an extent, Madonna does sing the vast majority of her shows live she really only mimes when she is dancing. I for one would like that to stop and i would prefer with the coming tour on which i am going to 4 shows that Madonna would just stand on stage for a good part of the show and just sing classic Madonna. I feel she would slay the crowd much more than if she does what she usually does and thats disappear for minutes on end (where the dancers try to amuse me) for costume changes and sings 8/9 new album tracks, which some in the crowd simply do not know.

Another gr8 post about Madge! I really dig what your saying about standing & singing. Maybe she could do just one tour, called the 'Stand Still' tour, where rather than gyrating around, she stands still, and actually has the breath to sing her songs! And she could cover loads of songs which dont get a look-in on tour. It would be a TEST as well. But a test that she could pull off. After all, she likes pushing herself, doesnt she...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, people who refuse to believe their favourite bands and artists are anything but 100% fantastic all of the time.

Name some of the things that annoy you about your favourite acts.

Stevie Nicks - that quiet croak-like whimpering sound that's almost like she's taking her last breath. She did it a lot during her mid-80s live singing and also on demo tracks. Bugs the hell out of my for some reason.

Errr, but back to the original post!

Goldfrapp & Roisin Murphy REALLY bug me atmo... Because they're not releasing albums!!!!!!!Argggghh!

(Goldfrapp Greatest Hits doesnt count!):D
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a huge fan of Madonna, I have to say, two things that really annoy me where she is concerned are:

- The way she acts during live performances on tours. Okay, not for every song, but for some, some of the things she just are just, well... embarassing? I'm not being ageist at all here, but I don't really want, or need, to see a woman in here early fifties girating around the floor on top of a man who's only just left puberty. Not saying she should grow old gracefully, just saying, it's not entertaining; it makes me cringe. There was a time and a place. Both of those things have now passed.

- The second thing that bugs me is the way that her singles have been promoted since the COADF era ended. Hard Candy wasn't THAT bad an album (not as bad as many would have you believe). It could have spawned from fantastic singles. Unfortunately, the singles were handled very poorly, with little promotion. Unfortunately I feel the same is happening again here in the UK with the release of GGW, and will probably happen the rest of the tracks released from MDNA. It's such a pity, because, with the correct promotion, I'm sure MDNA could spawn at least one number one single, if not more.