Options

Going to See a Gastrologist

RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone on here been to see one? What can I expect from my first appointment? Do the appointments take very long to come through? My doctor said that it's usually weeks rather than months.

Comments

• Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen one. I think the length of wait is dependent on the waiting list in your area. When I went I was weighed by a nurse. I then went in to see the consultant. He asked me a load of questions about my digestion and then order some tests for me, including an endoscopy and a 24hour manometry test.
  • Options
    ChasingSundaysChasingSundays Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 7 yr old son has just been to see one on wednesday.

His appointment took about 2 months roughly to come though, when we got there he was weighed, height checked first and then taken in to see the consultant.

It was his first appt also so we were in there for about an hour, she went right back through his history asking when the issues first started, what his symptoms were, triggers, family history etc. A short term treatment plan was made and bloods were taken the same day and we are back in 2 months.

I appreciate it was a peadiatric appointment so im not sure how similar it would be to an adult appt but i cant see they would differ too wildly.
  • Options
    RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for your replies.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to worry about it. First of all the nurse usually weighs you and checks your blood pressure. Then the doctor sees you and asks you lots of questions. Sometimes they get you to lay on the bed and they feel your stomach. Then they tell you what they think and order more tests.

As you how long you will have to wait, it really depends on what your G.P. and the department think as to how important is is that you are seen. It could be as little as a few weeks, but the longest it should be is about three months.