Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Premier is the cheapest taxi firm.

Agreed.. I use them a fair bit.

Folkestone Taxis are the most costly.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked up that quote that "a man of beyond the age of 26 who finds himself on a bus can count himself a failure" and apparently Maggie didn't say it all.
    People will have to find 230,000 other reasons to hate her then
    :kitty:
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well my options are limited slightly

Day ticket in the local area is £3.90
    Into town is £1 from where I live and I can walk just as easily. Easier even as no waiting for a bus that is never on time.
    Weekly ticket in the local area is £13.50
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bus company was asked this question and they said they buy their fuel a year in advance so you can expect big falls next year. Yeah right.

Yeah, energy companies use similar reasoning for their pricing, yet it never works if
    If you compare prices from 6 or 12 months ago to today!. I'll look forwards to a 20% bus fare drop next January or February!.

But I'm buggered how bus companies can ever claim to buy fuel 12 months up front when supplies are almost certainly bi weekly?.
  • ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I used to bus to work over ten years back every six months the price would go up. However, the way they did it was announce a price increase for half the fares but claim it was 'good news' that the other half weren't increasing.

Then six months later they'd increase the price of tickets they'd not increased at the previous raise. And then announce that it was 'good news' that the other prices were not being increased.

This was First. I don't think they operate those routes anymore. Pretty sure that Arriva took them over.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the flat rate that pees me off.... For donkey's years the fare would start at say, 25p for a short hop and rise in 10/20p increments as journey got longer. Its only in last 10 yes or so that it costs same fare irrespective of how far you're going.... 1 mile or 10 miles it's still £2.20 round my way. What's particularly irritating is that they appear to have based the flat fare on the old maximum journey price - their revenues must've have tripled at a stroke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I used to live in North Wales as a kid they had single fares and returns for about a single and a half fares worth!. Then they refused return fares, and you had to either buy single fares each way or a day ticket costing more than 2 single fares!.
  • Matt_MaherMatt_Maher Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £4.40 is the cheapest I can buy a return ticket (now called a Day Rider) to the city centre from my house.
    I work in the centre now and it costs me £62 a month for a bus pass.

The buses in Bristol are pretty bad tho. We only have one bus company (First) and because they have no competition they can basically do what they want with prices and ignore complaints.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £1.45 for a bus fare in London, I think it might be one of the few things that are cheaper here
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Local dayrider tickets cost £2.90
    Daily Explorer tickets cost £6.30 through Kent and East Sussex.
    Weekly Megarider tickets cost £12
    Weekly Goldrider tickets cost £20.50

Day rider £3.10 now
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    £1.45 for a bus fare in London, I think it might be one of the few things that are cheaper here

Keep up! It's been £1.50 since January.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow you lot have really cheap fares

Here on the Isle of Wight
    £3.50 cheapest single (most are £4.50)
    All day ticket £10.00
    Weekly £25.00
    Monthly £85.00

Southern Vectis (part of the go-ahead group) have no competition here so can charge what they like, some of our buses (including my route) are partly funded by IOW council and they have said they may not continue with the funding, SV have already said they will cut these buses if the council don't cough up, as they said at a bus users meeting I was at we are NOT a public service we have to answer to our share holders.

BTW they banned me from their facebook page when I pointed out their fares are amongst the dearest in the UK including routes on the mainland also operated by the go-ahead group
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,032
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    Day rider £3.10 now

Still £2.90 according to web site (Folkestone area). When did it go up?
  • littlemadangellittlemadangel Posts: 4,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £2 for a single fare on the Metro buses in Belfast.
    £3.40 for a day ticket
    Most of the time I use my smartlink card which is £25 for 20 journeys.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »

we are NOT a public service we have to answer to our share holders.

Ain't that just the real honest truth?
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Still £2.90 according to web site (Folkestone area). When did it go up?

In Thanet it went up back in mid part of 2014
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,032
    Forum Member

Maybe yours covers a larger area.
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    wow you lot have really cheap fares

Here on the Isle of Wight
    £3.50 cheapest single (most are £4.50)
    All day ticket £10.00
    Weekly £25.00
    Monthly £85.00

Southern Vectis (part of the go-ahead group) have no competition here so can charge what they like, some of our buses (including my route) are partly funded by IOW council and they have said they may not continue with the funding, SV have already said they will cut these buses if the council don't cough up, as they said at a bus users meeting I was at we are NOT a public service we have to answer to our share holders.

BTW they banned me from their facebook page when I pointed out their fares are amongst the dearest in the UK including routes on the mainland also operated by the go-ahead group
    Regarding the Facebook page thing, I'd go to the offices of the bus company and threaten to smash things up for censoring you, and therefore disrespecting your freedom of speech! :mad:
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can buy a dozen airports for the cost of a Weekly Rider ticket.
  • IC89IC89 Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bus fare are, in general, a joke in Leicester.

Two companies run the city, Arriva and First, with a few others such as Stagecoach doing special coaches that I never use.

For me to go 2.5 miles into the city centre it's £2.40 on an Arriva with a day ticket around £3.60 (the prices may have gone up since I last used them). There are weekly tickets but I couldn't tell you those.

To use one of the three park and ride services in the City it's £3 for a day ticket, which is far better.

If you're travelling to work in the city, like I do currently, it's better to get the P&R because there's simply barely anywhere decent to park. On a Saturday though parking is a maximum of £4 in some multi-storey car parks so it's much more affable to head into town in the car with two other people than hit the bus.

In fact I wish we were like Notts. In my very limited experience of the bus services in Nottingham I find they have better, more modern, cheaper and a higher frequency of buses than in Leicester.
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IC89 wrote: »
    Bus fare are, in general, a joke in Leicester.

Two companies run the city, Arriva and First, with a few others such as Stagecoach doing special coaches that I never use.

For me to go 2.5 miles into the city centre it's £2.40 on an Arriva with a day ticket around £3.60 (the prices may have gone up since I last used them). There are weekly tickets but I couldn't tell you those.

To use one of the three park and ride services in the City it's £3 for a day ticket, which is far better.

If you're travelling to work in the city, like I do currently, it's better to get the P&R because there's simply barely anywhere decent to park. On a Saturday though parking is a maximum of £4 in some multi-storey car parks so it's much more affable to head into town in the car with two other people than hit the bus.

In fact I wish we were like Notts. In my very limited experience of the bus services in Nottingham I find they have better, more modern, cheaper and a higher frequency of buses than in Leicester.
    Not only that, but I love how Nottingham still has it's own bus company, and has electronic displays at many of the bus stop shelters like in London where it shows the time of the next bus and if it is running on time or late. :)