Options

commentators pronouncing players names strangely

Comments

• Options
    The LizardThe Lizard Posts: 2,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with some rather incorrect/annoying ways of pronouncing certain players' names.

The one that bugs me the most:

Louis Van Gaal.

Manchester United told BBC and BT Sport in August, that they (the club) were told to pronounce it as "Van Gaal" like G-aal. Sky, however, along with other people in the media, still persist with calling him "Van Haal"!!

And before anyone mentions about there being different ways of pronouncing things beginning with G in Netherlands, that is what Manchester United were told how to pronounce "Van Gaal" like a G, and promptly told BBC and BT Sport, no doubt after all their staff were told first like! Yet, either Sky and some other people didn't get the message, or just ignored it and decided "we'll still call him Van Haal".

And I am a Liverpool fan!!

Also, commentators, again mainly Sky, being lazy with "Simon" Mignolet and Adrian, Liverpool and West Ham goalies respectively, saying it the British way, rather than the correct way.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of Pamela Stephenson on Not the 9o'clock News, sending up Angela Rippon's pronunciation of Zimbabwe.
    With soccer, I think they like the sound of their own voices. If they can manage to stick to surnames normally, why do they feel compelled to refer to Alonso with his full name? Very shabby (sorry).😄
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Spanish names don't follow the traditional forename and surname template ours do.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see QPR play at Barnsley a few years ago and their PA guy mangled virtually EVERY one of our player's names when he read team out before kick-off. He sounded like Arkwright off Open All Hours.... managed Paddy Kenny ok, went haywire on Kaspers Gorkks and never recovered. I think the "K" in plain old Karl Connolly foxed him badly and Alesandro Faurlin finished him off. He was a gibbering wreck by the time he got to Adel Taraabt and Heider Helgusson. Be interested to know if he is still there spluttering away at Oakwell.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one was yohan cabaye who is pronounced many different ways, from cab-ay to cabbie yeah .
    Kebab
  • Options
    BWBIDHBWBIDH Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Dirk Kuyt took some time for people to figure out.

Also don't know if it is pronounced Eden Hazard or Hazar.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when Andys Cole and Johnson inexplicably became Andrew? Dunno if it derived from a poncey commentator or the player themselves?
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lizard wrote: »
    The one that bugs me the most:

Louis Van Gaal.

Manchester United told BBC and BT Sport in August, that they (the club) were told to pronounce it as "Van Gaal" like G-aal. Sky, however, along with other people in the media, still persist with calling him "Van Haal"!!
    That's interesting. During his reign at Bayern München, German media consistently pronounced his name Louie fun Khaal. And I think that's exactly how he wanted it to be. Otherwise, he'd have told reporters to sod off. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BWBIDH wrote: »
    I think it's Ehden Ahzaar.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Doesn't she speak 5 or 6 languages though?

You can imagine the other girls in the office giving her the evils becuase she's out pronouncing them :D
    :D

Kate Abdo used to work for Sky Sport News Germany (as an anchor). Her subtle accent was a little annoying in the long run but otherwise her German was great.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BWBIDH wrote: »
    Dirk Kuyt took some time for people to figure out.

Dirrik Kowt. Though I think he was referred to as Kite for a long time.
  • Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's emerged that Emre Can should be pronounced Emre Jun - by a Turkish website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's also how he's pronounced here in Germany.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm too far gone into my 'can anyone save our midfield?' joke from an old Football Manager to pronounce his name any other way now. It's a joke I tell myself in my head, and the audience bloody loves it.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From watching dodgy streams I've learned that Wayne Rooney is Wine-us Rooney in Latvian, Ashley Young is Ashley Youngus and generally speaking, about half the players get an "us" put on their name somewhere. Luke Shaw is something approaching Luke Shau (kind of like "Show" but shorter and quite nasal).
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's emerged that Emre Can should be pronounced Emre Jun - by a Turkish website.
    I wondered where Chan came from. Presumably someone told the commentators that's how it's pronounced.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Boselecta wrote: »
    I remember when Andys Cole and Johnson inexplicably became Andrew? Dunno if it derived from a poncey commentator or the player themselves?
    The rumour was that Cole instisted that he be called Andrew and not Andy but he's since dissmissed that and said he didn't know where the story came from.
  • Options
    AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    fluffed wrote: »
    Meelan (or Meelano) is the way Italians say it.
    The fu(kin club is called Milan the way the British say it because AC Milan was founded by the British that's why it's called Milan not Milano you tool!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely worth a subtly censored rant.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funniest fu(kin post i've read all week.
  • Options
    AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Funniest fu(kin post i've read all week.
    High praise indeed celesti and Grim Fandango. Sorry if I went off at you fluffed, it's just that we gave football to to the world and the names, be it Newells Old Boys, Genoa or Athletic Bilbao, are all reminders that the British were once bloody good at it.

Back on topic, the pronouciation of Sammi Hyppia seemed to go two ways. Either like a South African saying 'happier' or as if a couple of STD sufferers where arguing about who's condition was worse.....
    'I've got herpes'
    'I'm more herpier than you.'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yet neither of those pronunciations of Hyypia was apparently correct.

(It was Huupia apparently)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anonandon wrote: »
    Back on topic, the pronouciation of Sammi Hyppia seemed to go two ways.
    You've got the spelling wrong as well. It's Sami Hyypiä. :D

The pronunciation is [ˈsɑmi ˈhyːpiæ]
  • Options
    Renegade MasterRenegade Master Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Niall Quinn calling 'Julian Lescott'
  • Options
    WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirrik Kowt. Though I think he was referred to as Kite for a long time.

That's not the right way either. The 'ui' and 'uy' pronounciation is quite unique to the Netherlands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the way he said it was pronounced.

However he followed that up by saying that the supporters could call him whatever they wanted so I moved for calling him Joey Jojo Junior Shabadoo.