13»

Comments

• dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is trying to be a pop star
  • B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    Any student who decides to use any windfall to pay off their student debt, is either too rich to need it anyway, or too stupid to graduate.
  • michaelkegnanmichaelkegnan Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'education' industry is a farce.
  • heresittingheresitting Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HughOS wrote: »
    He's a student at UCL. Biomedical science I think and wants to do graduate entry medicine. Marc is a phd candidate in biochemistry.

Oh, oh... Mark BS alert!

By your definition of "PHd candidate"... everyone one the planet would qualify.

Which reminds me, do we yet know Mark's degree classification... or is he still too busy to check his results :cool:
  • HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, oh... Mark BS alert!

By your definition of "PHd candidate"... everyone one the planet would qualify.

Which reminds me, do we yet know Mark's degree classification... or is he still too busy to check his results :cool:

I don't think it's BS. Marc mentioned it a few times. Why are people running around trying to scrutinise Marcs qualifications pointlessly when there are housemates that can't even spell canoe and think Isaac Newton was the first man on the moon.
  • MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wish we saw more of the HMs answering questions and Joel and the others singing and dancing (playing, goofing around). They had a great potential with Joel, Nick, Jack, Cristian…all similar age (jack's older but acts younger) and none are towie style dumb….I wish that group had bonded better.

Couldn't agree more.

If I wanted to watch scripted reality, I'd be watching a different show, unfortunately this looks like a trend which is going to continue (just read today that a stylist visits the house on eviction nights :o) - WTF?? What kind of reality is that??
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's BS. Marc mentioned it a few times. Why are people running around trying to scrutinise Marcs qualifications pointlessly when there are housemates that can't even spell canoe and think Isaac Newton was the first man on the moon.
    Someone posted an interview with Marc on Irish radio in which he, himself, stated he was expecting his BSc results. No PhD yet.

The reason why people mention (not scrutinise ;-)) it is because his fans keep exaggerating his achievements, as happened on this thread.
  • heresittingheresitting Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mark didn't mention being a "PHd candidate", he told people he would be Dr. Mark once he had his results which is a blatant untruth.... because as well all know now, he was studying for a degree, not a masters or a PHd.

The others, who aren't as clever, don't go around pretending to be something they're not - unlike Mark.

Btw - any update on his degree classification?
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's doing Biomedical Sciences, that isn't a medicine degree.

Which if he passes ,he's going to use as a qualification to get into Med school ,and Hopefully become a DR ,like his Mum ,I read somewhere
  • jojo the joyfuljojo the joyful Posts: 17,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    He's a student. I graduated uni last summer and just managed to get one this month!

It's difficult.

OMG I had you down as much older than that (sorry) Unless you were a mature student :D:D ( PS It is actually a compliament to your maturity & well thought out arguments. )
    Studying to be a doctor?:D:D:D

He has no plans to become a doctor. He is 22K in debt for nothing, his 'education' has been futile.

That degree can be used for anything really. Pathology, pharmacuticle, research, microbio;ogy, even health & nutritian to name but a few.

I watched Martin Lewis ( Money Saving Expert) on telly today & he was explaining why he is campainging to have the "name" student loan" changed. Basically it is a student "Tax" that you pay a percentage of when you earn over a certain amount. There is no reference to it on any credit reference agency & only the really lucky get to pay it back in full.

I am fine with that & Christians degree is a proper one. I do object to degrees in things like "photography" "football" and modern music.
  • B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    cah wrote: »
    Which if he passes ,he's going to use as a qualification to get into Med school ,and Hopefully become a DR ,like his Mum ,I read somewhere

http://www.channel5.com/shows/big-brother/episodes/episode-1-760

Cristian's starts at 27 mins.

"If something happens and I don't wanna do music, I can just be a doctor, be a surgeon."

Sounds more like a brag, than an aim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B L Zeebub wrote: »
    http://www.channel5.com/shows/big-brother/episodes/episode-1-760

Cristian's starts at 27 mins.

"If something happens and I don't wanna do music, I can just be a doctor, be a surgeon."

Sounds more like a brag, than an aim.

True
    ,but sounds more to me like some young kid wanting to be rich and Famous ,which giving his age doesn't surprise me ,Hopefully when he matures a bit ,he'll realise very few make it into the Music business (unless you do naff shows and get lucky al-a One Direction) and then he'll knuckle down and get on with his studies ,instead of going for a pipe dream
  • Moomin STFCMoomin STFC Posts: 4,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studying to be a doctor?:D:D:D

He has no plans to become a doctor. He is 22K in debt for nothing, his 'education' has been futile.

How do you come to that conclusion?
    Is that just Cristian whose education has been futile, or all students who leave university with a debt?

What a sweeping statement, pretty ignorant statement too.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member

Yes, this is true but he could have done medicine straight from school at 18, maybe he didn't get a place so took Biomedical Science instead hoping to get in post-grad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this is true but he could have done medicine straight from school at 18, maybe he didn't get a place so took Biomedical Science instead hoping to get in post-grad.

Probably didn't YL ,who knows either that ,or was dithering over what he really wanted to do and then decided to do this degree
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more.

If I wanted to watch scripted reality, I'd be watching a different show, unfortunately this looks like a trend which is going to continue (just read today that a stylist visits the house on eviction nights :o) - WTF?? What kind of reality is that??

That was somebody assuming that because Harry's make-up was so good, it's not a fact at all. Be careful what you read and what you think you are reading, some people like to post supposition and make it sound like fact, others read supposition and take it as fact.

It was not a fact.
  • JanisElizabethJanisElizabeth Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OGB wrote: »
    Wow! Studying to be a doctor, not claiming benefits, not robbing or hustling and indulging in a hobby that no one needs to like or pay for and THIS guy gets heat? Damn... :confused:

It makes you laugh doesn't it. The guy has done nothing drastically wrong the whole time he has been in the house. In fact he has probably been the most polite and yet he seems to get more stick than any of the others.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Probably didn't YL ,who knows either that ,or was dithering over what he really wanted to do and then decided to do this degree

Maybe, my son dithered at 18 then wished he had done it 2 years later, wasted 3 years and £20,000:o Oh well, that kids for you.
  • jojo the joyfuljojo the joyful Posts: 17,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, my son dithered at 18 then wished he had done it 2 years later, wasted 3 years and £20,000:o Oh well, that kids for you.

<<<SNORTS>>>

Ain't that the truth :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:o
    But BIB very true :p
  • MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    That was somebody assuming that because Harry's make-up was so good, it's not a fact at all. Be careful what you read and what you think you are reading, some people like to post supposition and make it sound like fact, others read supposition and take it as fact.

It was not a fact.

Oh crap - thanks Muggins, would hate to unintentionally be spreading false info around, there's enough of that going on already - intentionally!!
  • michaelkegnanmichaelkegnan Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you come to that conclusion?
    Is that just Cristian whose education has been futile, or all students who leave university with a debt?

What a sweeping statement, pretty ignorant statement too.

Thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit.
  • JanisElizabethJanisElizabeth Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B L Zeebub wrote: »
    Any student who decides to use any windfall to pay off their student debt, is either too rich to need it anyway, or too stupid to graduate.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Maybe some students would rather pay off their debts than squander any windfall they might have. It's called taking responsibility.