Options

9300T problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,866
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been on the Humax Support but frankly I have no real confidence in what they said as basically it was only to restore the Defaut settings.

It is reverting to the default setting that are the problem in the first place,

The machine seems to decide to re-set itself, losing all the recordings set-up and reverting to a 4:3 display. This has happened twice in the last few days and I really do not want this to happen over the Christmas holidays.

This makes the machine very unreliable indeed. I dont lose what is already recorded by the way.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and have a solution?

It must be their software problem.

Just to manually revert to the box default settings does not seem to be enough!

If we have to leave it on the default settings then that is simply not good enough.

That actually brings me to another Humax problem that they do not seem to understand. Previous set-top boxes of all makes have always been able to switch between screen ratios automatically - except for the Humax. I have it set for 16:9 output but when I switch to a Channel transmitting a 4:3 picture, as Dave for instance often does, it stretches it across the screen so I have to manually change to 4:3 and back again when I change channels. Is there a fix to that that anyone knows of?

Any help would be appreciated on either problem.

Comments

• Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BarryW1 wrote: »
    This makes the machine very unreliable indeed. I dont lose what is already recorded by the way.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and have a solution?
    The problem has been reported previously by other users so you are not alone. I don't recollect anyone proposing a solution that definitely fixed the problem. Some people have had their boxes exchanged by Humax which in some cases has helped so it may be a hardware problem.
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That actually brings me to another Humax problem that they do not seem to understand. Previous set-top boxes of all makes have always been able to switch between screen ratios automatically - except for the Humax. I have it set for 16:9 output but when I switch to a Channel transmitting a 4:3 picture, as Dave for instance often does, it stretches it across the screen so I have to manually change to 4:3 and back again when I change channels. Is there a fix to that that anyone knows of?
    Note that the aspect ratio switching on the configuration menu of the Humax should be set according to the TV type, nothing else. I assume you have a widescreen TV, in which case the Humax should be set to 16:9.

Any other aspect ratio settings need to be done by the TV, manually or automatically. Usually widescreen TVs have several settings for this.

The way you connect the Humax to the TV will also affect this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both for your input:
    I will ring them again if.when the problem re-occurs, I have done what they suggested so we will see if it works.

As far as the ratio switching is concerned I have tried a whole range of tv settings without success on two different tvs, an LG and a Panny, with no luck.
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as the ratio switching is concerned I have tried a whole range of tv settings without success on two different tvs, an LG and a Panny, with no luck.
    How are you connecting the Humax to the TV? I've heard that the HDMI connection may not switch the aspect ratio properly and doesn't confer any advantage. Try the SCART.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max Demian wrote: »
    How are you connecting the Humax to the TV? I've heard that the HDMI connection may not switch the aspect ratio properly and doesn't confer any advantage. Try the SCART.

I do indeed use an HDMI cable, Good tip I will try the SCART.

many thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the information of those who may be affected by this problem I turned off the automatic updates and since then I have had no problems at all. Looks like a possible solution to the main problem of resetting to defaults and losing the record settings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I've had this problem too, but noticed that it seemed to happen if using the remote through the AV sender i use to watch recorded items upstairs in the bedroom. To overcome this I don't power it down, and since then have not had a problem.

Weird, maybe not related?!