Fans Blinded By Their Fandom

Comments

• AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a huge Britney fan, but i dont let myself get ridiculous in my fandom, i love her and her music, and i love most of her performances, but im not gonna sit here and say a performance was awesome if it was a load of crap, id be lying to myself, and that doesnt just go for Britney, that goes for anyone i take a liking to. I give praise when needed, and i give criticism when needed. Arounf 2008/2009 just seeing her back on stage was enough for me to give praise, but in the last year i couldnt help but think things like "ok, we gave you a pass, now dance your ass off!". But i went to her show last year, and it was the best night of my life.
    In terms of fans who go too far, id say a lot of Gaga fans (not all obviously), but a huge amount ruin everyone else's experience by spreading things like Adele having cancer and saying how original she is, Lady Gaga is a talented, creative performer, but dont try and say she is the second coming of music, because i will laugh in your face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I know the title is pretty misleading, but come on guys...this thread isn't about generalising fanbases.
  • FabalaFabala Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the title is pretty misleading, but come on guys...this thread isn't about generalising fanbases.

I thought that. Weren't we supposed to highlight our own critical opinions on our favourite artists?
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, people who refuse to believe their favourite bands and artists are anything but 100% fantastic all of the time.

Name some of the things that annoy you about your favourite acts.

Stevie Nicks - that quiet croak-like whimpering sound that's almost like she's taking her last breath. She did it a lot during her mid-80s live singing and also on demo tracks. Bugs the hell out of my for some reason.

i don't know if you can edit your own thread title, but it might be an idea to ask a mod to do so as the point of your post seems lost to many people replying
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    i don't know if you can edit your own thread title, but it might be an idea to ask a mod to do so as the point of your post seems lost to many people replying

To be fair, maybe if people actually took the time to read the opening post instead of commenting straight away then there wouldn't be an issue.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabala wrote: »
    To be fair, maybe if people actually took the time to read the opening post instead of commenting straight away then there wouldn't be an issue.

Indeed. The OP's post clearly explained what was being asked. Some people just can't pause 2 minutes to read the initial post before chipping in. The phrase 'verbal diarrhea' springs to mind.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Thats odd, when i went to the london show last year id have said there was only one song she DIDNT sing live.

Maybe it depended on the show. I think my friend went to the Dublin show. I must ask her if I see her again.
  • SanahSanah Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    There is one Madonna fan who really I mean really irritates me with his posts...

Blinded is an understatement with this person.

He rants and raves like a loon daily about her, his posts are deluded and make no sense at all whatsoever. Almost like reading a very bad essay with no logic.

This person is also fickle by raving on and on about something as if its the best thing in the worlds one minute and disregarding it the next.

Lets just say even Madonna would find this person tragic and would not be impressed.

I wont mention names as it wouldnt be fair or right.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanah wrote: »
    There is one Madonna fan who really I mean really irritates me with his posts...

He rants and raves like a loon daily about her, his posts are deluded and make no sense at all whatsoever. Almost like reading a very bad essay with no logic.

This person is also fickle by raving on and on about something as if its the best thing in the worlds one minute and disregarding it the next.

Lets just say even Madonna would find this person tragic and would not be impressed.

The person you refer is young and enthusiastic. A bit like me when I was his age. He is never offensive, never disrespectful about other artists and always loyal towards his idol.

Yes, Madonna does do some odd things sometimes, mainly with her decision making, but it isn't really a fair comment to call him tragic just because he has a huge passion for Madonna.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sanah wrote: »

this is off topic, but i was discussing fanatical fans with someone and some of the odd things they do, and someone mentioned they know a MADonna fan who was similar

it was michael jackson fans who after an event went into HMV and started pulling "non official" MJ dvds and cds off the shelves and complaining to managers saying they were illegal - which they weren't, they were perfectly legal for sale, but it just wasn't officially sanctioned releases or on the sony label. so things like interview discs, and album review and biography dvds etc. my view was that a true fan would collect whatever the could about the artist, regardless of the origin of the item

which got me onto unreleased/bootleg material, to which i found very few of them owned, thus they only knew officially released tracks, and had no idea about the literally 100s or 1000s of unreleased tracks (both live and studio). thus as far as i was concerned, whilst they considered themselves a big fan and dressed up like MJ, they were very small scale when it came to the actual work of the artist. with more unreleased material generally circulating from most artists than released material, it mean they were missing the largest chunk of the artists work, but not only that, they were completely obvlivious to it

and it was the same with this MAD onna fan. she refused to listen to bootlegs and had this OCD set of rules relating to what she could watch and listen to or not

but there is considerably less of the nutjob madonna fans then MJ fans. i think madonna has a much smaller percetange of wack jobs as fanatics which MJ has probably the highest. perhaps that ratio of fan to nutter has something to do with how satisfied a fan is with the artists work, so they have less to prove and argue about, and more to enjoy

madonna has a lot of great tracks but it's the lack of live performance that gets me. if she had a proper band and sang live like a regular band she could put on a much more interesting performance. elvis wasn't a great singer towards his vegas days, but the shows were still interesting, and i think madonna could do the same. there comes a time when people are too old to pose and mime about, and that time was a while back for madge
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a huge Madonna fan but hated GMAYL. I can't for the life of me see what possessed her to release such dirge and I don't really like anything I've heard of her collaborations with Martin Solveig who is terrible IMO. I'm just grateful most of the album is with other producers and the fact that the rest of the album is very different to the singles (although I love GGW). It is true though that Madonna could take a shit and it would be music to some people's ears

I loved Gaga this time last year and still love BTW despite the fact that some people have turned on the record. However, I no longer like her so much as a person. She needs to address the fans who are keyboards warriors and I get the impression she's using vulnerable people to enhance her own reputation

I also love Kanye West's music but personally I think he's an arse and the male version of Gaga. It won't stop me buying all his records though but he take the word pretentious to another level
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »
    I'm a huge Madonna fan but hated GMAYL. I can't for the life of me see what possessed her to release such dirge and I don't really like anything I've heard of her collaborations with Martin Solveig who is terrible IMO. I'm just grateful most of the album is with other producers and the fact that the rest of the album is very different to the singles (although I love GGW). It is true though that Madonna could take a shit and it would be music to some people's ears

I loved Gaga this time last year and still love BTW despite the fact that some people have turned on the record. However, I no longer like her so much as a person. She needs to address the fans who are keyboards warriors and I get the impression she's using vulnerable people to enhance her own reputation

I also love Kanye West's music but personally I think he's an arse and the male version of Gaga. It won't stop me buying all his records though but he take the word pretentious to another level

I must say, I have to agree with this. I think Madonna is a complete legend but her new stuff apart from Masterpiece is terrible and she looks great for her age but is in danger of becoming mutton as lamb if she is not careful and the vocals on GMAYL and GGW sounded awfully artificial and autotuned and like they've been sped up out of all recognition.

I'm an older fan and I don't remember (apart from MG and LAV) where her voice sounded so babyish, which was ok when she was 25 but not at 53!

I'm not bashing so I don't want all the M fans on my tail calling me ageist because I'm not.
  • LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Lionel Richie but I don't like his song 'Se La'. I just don't get it.

Tomas Ledin is brilliant but his song 'Action' is one of the strangest I have ever heard and I'm not enamoured of it.
  • cloudycloudy Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a good number of huge Madonna fans who have been critical of her latest offerings both on here and on icon her offical fan club site, i am one of those people.
    The new singles smack of trying to follow trends rather than set them and Madonna is better than what her 2 singles from MDNA have been.
    I think it maybe an age thing for Madonna fans, i am old enough to have been a fan in the 80's when Madonna singles/albums were fantastic. The older Madonna fan remembers what those days were like and are being more critical.
    I still think she is able to make great music again she just needs to find the right people to work with, something she was always good at (Bedtime Stories excluded). It does not appear that Martin Solveig was the right choice this time.
    The album is not out yet and the singles may well sit better on the concept of the album.
    I would also agree with unique to an extent, Madonna does sing the vast majority of her shows live she really only mimes when she is dancing. I for one would like that to stop and i would prefer with the coming tour on which i am going to 4 shows that Madonna would just stand on stage for a good part of the show and just sing classic Madonna. I feel she would slay the crowd much more than if she does what she usually does and thats disappear for minutes on end (where the dancers try to amuse me) for costume changes and sings 8/9 new album tracks, which some in the crowd simply do not know.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this should be retitled. ;)
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't bother me if someone loves everything an artist does as long as that artist isn't doing anything possibly criminal or morally offensive. But I do find it upsetting when people in their love for an artist defend behaviour that is really offensive or hurts other people.

For example, if someone was a huge Chris Brown fan and said it's okay for him to beat up Rihanna because he's a great artist, that would bother me. It also bothers me when MJ fans say he was a victim and won't consider the possibility he was a child abuser. But if someone just loves an artist's music and performances even if I personally don't, I have no problem.
    The other problem I have with super fanhood is when it leads to putting other artists down to make their favourite artist look better. But just loving an artist unconditionally I have no problem with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cloudy wrote: »
    I would also agree with unique to an extent, Madonna does sing the vast majority of her shows live she really only mimes when she is dancing. I for one would like that to stop and i would prefer with the coming tour on which i am going to 4 shows that Madonna would just stand on stage for a good part of the show and just sing classic Madonna. I feel she would slay the crowd much more than if she does what she usually does and thats disappear for minutes on end (where the dancers try to amuse me) for costume changes and sings 8/9 new album tracks, which some in the crowd simply do not know.

Yes, but if she did that she would be like all those other 80's artists that just sing their hits. Those type of shows are great to see once, but it's not something you want to see over and over again. The reason that she can keep touring and it's very successful every time, is you don't know what she's going to be wearing or how the staging is going to be and also hearing different songs. I think a greatest hits tour is great to do one time, but if you tour as much as she does, it gets boring both for her and the audience to do it over and over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say, I have to agree with this. I think Madonna is a complete legend but her new stuff apart from Masterpiece is terrible and she looks great for her age but is in danger of becoming mutton as lamb if she is not careful and the vocals on GMAYL and GGW sounded awfully artificial and autotuned and like they've been sped up out of all recognition.

I'm an older fan and I don't remember (apart from MG and LAV) where her voice sounded so babyish, which was ok when she was 25 but not at 53!

I'm not bashing so I don't want all the M fans on my tail calling me ageist because I'm not.

I don't think you're ageist, I think as your name indicated you like more traditional older styles of music like Masterpiece. For me, Masterpiece is my least favourite song I've heard so far from MDNA. I know Madonna does sometimes alienate her 80's fans but she likes to stay up to date and modern. But if she just did her old sound, I don't think she would be as interesting.
    What annoys even with artists I like are artists that do endless greatest hits tours with little or no new material. I know people want to hear the hits, but I do get bored with hearing the same songs over and over. I saw Duran Duran and even though they did some new songs, I found their show boring. It seemed to me they were just going through the motions because that's what they thought their fans wanted to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Yes, but if she did that she would be like all those other 80's artists that just sing their hits. Those type of shows are great to see once, but it's not something you want to see over and over again. The reason that she can keep touring and it's very successful every time, is you don't know what she's going to be wearing or how the staging is going to be and also hearing different songs. I think a greatest hits tour is great to do one time, but if you tour as much as she does, it gets boring both for her and the audience to do it over and over.

that's nonsense as madonna doesn't play live gigs half as often as other 80s artists who toured considerably and didn't resort to miming and other crap on stage. in fact it's the real performances that make people want to see acts live

for example, prince, u2, rem, bon jovi, metallica, guns n roses, iron maiden are some of the biggest touring acts of the last 10 years. people see them again and again because they are great live performers

madonna has only toured 8 times in 30 years, and with only 12 albums she has 6 compilation albums, yet does the same thing in her tours all the time, mimes. it's fine if you are a young twentysomething to rely on looks and dancing for lack of talent, but not a middle aged mother
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    cloudy wrote: »
    There are a good number of huge Madonna fans who have been critical of her latest offerings both on here and on icon her offical fan club site, i am one of those people.
    The new singles smack of trying to follow trends rather than set them and Madonna is better than what her 2 singles from MDNA have been.
    I think it maybe an age thing for Madonna fans, i am old enough to have been a fan in the 80's when Madonna singles/albums were fantastic. The older Madonna fan remembers what those days were like and are being more critical.
    I still think she is able to make great music again she just needs to find the right people to work with, something she was always good at (Bedtime Stories excluded). It does not appear that Martin Solveig was the right choice this time.
    The album is not out yet and the singles may well sit better on the concept of the album.

Indeed! This applies to me too! OH The good old days!:):)

I'm still looking forward to the new album though, I'm not into her latest singles but there will be something on the album for us older fans surely.
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    There are a lot of fans of X Factor wannabes that are rather disillusioned - especially who didn't go far in the competition. They're often adamant that 'Ruth' or 'Laura' or 'Austin' or 'Kimberly' or 'The Unconventionals' are on their way to top ten hits, mega stardom and beyond yet from a little accoustic demo MySpace account.

I love Laura White lol. ive tweeted her a few times and shes lovely but i know she isnt going to be a megastar. shes just making music and i enjoy listening to that music and its fine lol.

and personally i dont really buy into the whole fandom thing. i like the artists i like, yes, but i dont really buy into it all. and i'm not going to try and defend the artists i like if they do something i disagree with/are complete arseholes. i completely despair when i see fights on twitter between 'beliebers' and 'directioners' in the trending topics.
    i'm pretty sure before the internet music was no where near as annoying and people just liked who they liked without having to put it all over the internet? but i barely remember what it was like before the internet
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I have been a Depeche Mode fan since like the ealy 80's but since Alan Wilder(Recoil) left the band, most of their output has been not very good, apart from most of 'Ultra' and Playing The Angel... I refuse to go and see them live as they are now... I can tell from the tour DVD's that they are nowhere near as good as they were... IMO!

This!

I'm a die hard Mode fan, although I'm not lucky enough to have been around in their glory days :( After Wilder left, they went steadily downhill. Still managed to make some great songs, but they're not consistently good anymore. Dave Gahan's singing has changed (for the worse judging by recent live footage). He sounds twangy now rather than deep and it's not good to listen to.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Rihanna still hasn't got a #1 album. I mean, just release the album in January...problem bloody solved! 197k looks good in January! :D
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabala wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of The Smiths and Morrissey but I don't always agree with his personal opinions and views. In the eyes of many a fan, that makes me the devil incarnate. Fed up of Morrissey fans who think they're better than me or are bigger fans because they take everything he says as gospel.

You're not wrong there.

There's another thread about his comments in Argentina about the Falklands & there's a couple of posters on that thread who seem to take it personally that others are criticising him.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not wrong there.

There's another thread about his comments in Argentina about the Falklands & there's a couple of posters on that thread who seem to take it personally that others are criticising him.:eek:

The thing with Morrissey is he talks a load of crap but I'm able to just enjoy his music. I remember reading about a time when he stormed off the stage because he could smell meat cooking, prime example of me not agreeing with him. He's there to perform, not complain about burgers. But, in my mind he's something of a lyrical genius and I love him for that. It's good to be able to separate the person from the product.

And I've read that thread, a lot of people are getting very wound up about it. It's a shame really because I've got friends who won't check out The Smiths because they don't like Morrissey.