International Cricket 2013

Comments

• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, why I love Test cricket, incredible stuff from Prior, Bell and Broad, and to a lesser extent Root and Panesar.

Prior was just incredible.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless if we look 0-0 wasn't exactly what England had wanted here. South Africa are so far ahead now, its really becoming a battle for 2nd spot.

I suppose two 5-0 victories over Oz could change that, which is seeming more likely heh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Stunning performance by Prior. Ton , 73, and 5 catches in a innings.

And if Bhav is with us , you predicted 4-0 for India and a 0-0 in this one. Not many would have predicted that , well done.

Amazing finish to the game, Test cricket can reallybe fantastic
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, why I love Test cricket, incredible stuff from Prior, Bell and Broad, and to a lesser extent Root and Panesar.

Prior was just incredible.

I'm sure that there are some people who will never understand why a series of three 5-days games ending 0-0 and including a guy who took 100 mins to score is fantastic sport - but there are some people who just just get why Test cricket is the best form of one of the world's greatest sports.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a match that was! The last twenty minutes was simply amazing :D ... love cricket.

Safe to say that McCullum declared at least half-an-hour too late yesterday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breaking News: After his fantastic dive today, Monty has been signed up for the next series of ITV's Splash.
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great effort from England and shows what England have got that Australia are searching for
    Monty diving for the crease was sensational.
    Loved Gus Fraser's comment ...he looked like he was diving on velcro! :D

Also , one of the tweets read out on tms.."I'm more nervous than a cypriot at an ATM :D

.surprised there was no man of the match award
    Would have been tough on Fulton but I would have given it to Prior
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Clarke out forr ten weeks with his back injury and has withdrawn from the IPL to concentrate on getting fit for the ashes/Champions Trophy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Just two more wickets and Broad will be marching out to the middle. It's not a thought to inspire confidence.

....with some folk, but of course I was sure Stuart would show tremendous resolve and battle it out for more than 2 hours ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    ....with some folk, but of course I was sure Stuart would show tremendous resolve and battle it out for more than 2 hours ;)

:D

I'm still amazed he got a DRS review correct :)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Prior has become the backbone of the England team in recent years. And Bell's 75 off 271 balls in 351 minutes was a remarkable effort.
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I'm watching the highlights and it's really tense even though I know the result. Monty's dive was comical and Matt has shown once again that he is one of the best and most reliable batsman in the side. He would be the first name on my team sheet. Great support from Ian and Stuart though they had some lucky moments between them. It reminds me of Colly and the rest in Cardiff.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What channel are the highlights on? Thought it was on Channel 5 in the evenings. Will be really pissed off if it is only on a Sky sports one:mad:
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,535
    Forum Member
    Monty's Dive was the highlight of the entire series!
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    I would even risk Jinxing India, by saying I would be surprised if Australia win the series against India, and I wouldn't be surprised if India wins 4-0.
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    IF I was a betting man I would bet on a 0-0 Series scoreline, New zealand pitches in the last few years have been really batting friendly, and it doesn't even deteriorate enough for the spinners to come into play.
    Swing and Seam have become less common in new zealand now, they will be no assistance for the spinners, it will be really tough for England to get 20 wickets in these pitches.
    only Way I can see England winning a test match is if the new zealand batsman collapse twice, England bowlers have a fantastic test match otherwise I can see a dull 0-0 series.
    david1955 wrote: »
    Stunning performance by Prior. Ton , 73, and 5 catches in a innings.

And if Bhav is with us , you predicted 4-0 for India and a 0-0 in this one. Not many would have predicted that , well done.

Amazing finish to the game, Test cricket can reallybe fantastic

for some odd reason my predictions are starting to come correct in this forum, I doubt it will last, but it was quite fun listening to some of the english media comments specially on the pitches, they seem to think new zealand pitches have only been flat, so they can draw against England :D
    the only thing I would say about the pitches is that if new zealand want slower wickets then they should offer more spin, in other words the pitches should mirror west indies pitches.
    there been lots of conspiracy theories about new zealand pitches and india involvement, especially after the dreadful 2002 tour and the 2008 tour when the pitches started to become flat, but if anything I would blame it on the drop in pitches and the lack of fast bowlers from the new zealand team and the fact new zealand batsman can't play the short ball well.

By the way did anyone bet on the 0-0 draw and the 4-0 whitewash.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow I wish i'd pulled an all nighter now - gave up after Bell went before tea. Incredible resilience.
  • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a match that was! The last twenty minutes was simply amazing :D ... love cricket.

Safe to say that McCullum declared at least half-an-hour too late yesterday.

With hindsight.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,895
    Forum Member
    Excellent stuff. England haven't been at their best this series, but their resilience & tenacity is still there.

New Zealand played really well (apart from the 2nd test) but just didn't quite have enough to get the victory in the final test. I think that's why I don't agree that NZ 'deserved' to win the match - if you give yourselves 143 overs and can't take 10 wickets then a draw is a fair result, regardless of which team played better.

Test cricket isn't just about playing better than the opposition, it's also knowing how to ruthlessly go for the kill. Perhaps a lesson for NZ to learn here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Excellent stuff. England haven't been at their best this series, but their resilience & tenacity is still there.

New Zealand played really well (apart from the 2nd test) but just didn't quite have enough to get the victory in the final test. I think that's why I don't agree that NZ 'deserved' to win the match - if you give yourselves 143 overs and can't take 10 wickets then a draw is a fair result, regardless of which team played better.

Test cricket isn't just about playing better than the opposition, it's also knowing how to ruthlessly go for the kill. Perhaps a lesson for NZ to learn here.

Exactly. In the second test England were the better team and NZ were massively helped by 2 days of bad weather. England got no such help in Auckland and had to earn their draw fair and square.
  • biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even at the time I thought McCullum's declaration was too safe. Even 430 would have been far too many for England to go for. Great batting by Prior, Bell, Root and Broad. What a performance by Stuart Broad hanging on for over 2 hours in scoring 6 which included one 4. This reminds me of an innings by Ian Botham against Pakistan in the 5th test in 1987 when he batted most of day to save a game scoring just 51 not out. In this game England followed on 476 runs behind and Stuart's father, Chris Broad made a valuable 42 in the second innings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of interesting stats and records to come out of this match but the one that surprised me the most is that Prior is only the 5th wicketkeeper to score a century in the 4th innings of a match.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Great effort to save it, couldn't believe it when I saw the news, thought it was a foregone conclusion!
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to Broad.
    I'm sure like many 'game over' was the thought when he arrived at the crease.

Prior, obviously man of the series, and averaging over 100.
    Hard to believe that under benign conditions, only him Trott got to surpass a 50 average.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    What channel are the highlights on? Thought it was on Channel 5 in the evenings. Will be really pissed off if it is only on a Sky sports one:mad:

only englands home tests have highlights on channel 5
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An impressive final day but 0-0 against a side as poor as New Zealand is nothing to celebrate. An incredibly poor performance by England over the course of the three matches.
This discussion has been closed.