Options

China's Yulin festival...did anyone know this existed?

Comments

• Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »
    Im not eating chinese again, ever. I reckon we have all eaten some cat or dog before in some dishes. At my old house the neighbour said his cats kept going missing with no trace and he reckoned the chinese at the end of the road was killing them all in the area. I still ate chinese but not from there, but now because of this yuling festival im just staying away from chinese food as a boycott

I'm veering this way also. I've always loved chinese food and it's always my first choice when eating out/takeaway but the recent stories about the festival and cats and dogs going missing is really turning me off. I expect their are many chinese restaurants here that use cats/dog in their meat dishes. vile.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    On twitter I read about this Chinese woman who goes around buying as many dogs as she can to save them from being killed, bless her.
    Anyone doing the same with cows over here?
    Bless 'em.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I don't understand the focus on the dogs being boiled alive, unless people have the same objection to the way lobsters are killed? In which case, worry about this going on in your own country before criticising the way animals are treated in others.

That is not to say I condone this festival. I just don't see the difference between the way animals are treated on farms here for meat, and nor do I see any difference between eating a cow and eating a dog. The amount of people opposed to this because dogs are kept as pets is baffling! I know people with pet ducks and chickens in this country, that doesn't stop them being bred for meat by others.

I'd be interested in the meat industry in China as a whole to be honest - is this treatment of animals being bred for meat "normal" for all animals or is it exclusive to dogs and cats? And if it isn't exclusive to them, then where's the outrage over the pigs and cows? Or are they truly considered lesser than other animals to those claiming the moral high ground over the Chinese who participate in this practice? The whole thing smacks of hypocrisy and intolerance of other cultural practices to me. I know this festival is a recent development, I'm referring to dog farming in general as a cultural thing rather than this festival specifically. With regards to the festival, of course I think it should be stopped but I wouldn't prioritise it over stopping cruelty to animals in the UK.

I don't wish to cause offence to anyone on here, and to be honest I have only skimmed the replies so far to avoid aiming my comments at anyone specifically (will read them now that I have that out of the way!). I have been reading people's opinions on this for the last few days across the internet which is what I am referring to mostly. It really bothers me that there are such huge double standards regarding boiling dogs alive and boiling lobsters alive, the way lobsters are killed has really upset me ever since I found out that is what happens ha.

Maybe you should have a look at this (warning it's sick) before knocking this country over lobsters and going on about cultural intolerance, it seems anything goes from eating live donkey to live monkey brains.

http://www.china-underground.com/magazine/7-animals-eaten-alive-in-china-graphic-content

I repeat, what you see here is both sick and graphic!

(to any normal person that is)
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bless 'em.

Cows aren't furry and cuddly and fit in your house/car.
    They're the main criteria for action.
  • Options
    KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an interesting article from the Independent today about this..

Protest against the Yulin dog meat festival, but don't forget the 1.9m animals who are brutally slaughtered in the UK every month

The western distinction between dogs and farm animals is completely arbitrary.

Good article in that it highlights the hypocrisy of non-vegetarian critics of Yulin, but fear of hypocrisy is a poor reason to avoid doing at least some good. Besides, perhaps by being confronted by the evils of Yulin, the non-vegetarian critics of Yulin will come to realise that animals in Europe and the US are suffering immensely too and will come to abandon the practice of unnecessarily consuming meat.

Richard Dawkins interviews one of the world's most influential philosophers, Peter Singer, on the subject of meat and animal cruelty:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYYNY2oKVWU

People who think things are so much better over here are naive or aren't willing to look the problem in the face. Most haven't done much research into the subject, and aren't aware of the way ag-gag laws are enacted to prevent animal cruelty in farms in Western countries from being exposed.

I hope the meat-free future they discuss in the video comes about sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a different country which the internet should stop butting in on, Most people wouldn't of even heard of it if these people haven't made a fuss about it. Rubbish gets shared about all of the time.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bless 'em.
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Cows aren't furry and cuddly and fit in your house/car.
    They're the main criteria for action.

Are pet cows being stolen and boiled/skinned alive?
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    As others have said. It's not the eating of different types of animal meat, it's the way the animals are treated that bothers me. I have two cats as pets and don't think I could ever eat meat that I knew came from a cat. However, different countries have different traditions/opinions but mistreatment of animals is just wrong wherever you live.

Yes some countries eat cats and dogs some horses and snakes. It's the barbaric cruel way they are killed that bothers me. Cruel and unnecessary and in no way similar to how meat is prepared here, none.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever barbaric practices go on, eating Live Monkey Brains is another myth
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We eat horses, difference?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whatever barbaric practices go on, eating Live Monkey Brains is another myth
    Did you check the link in my post 29?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you check the link in my post 29?

Yes. It's bollocks

Word for word reproduced from elsewhere
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes. It's bollocks

Word for word reproduced from elsewhere
    Lucky for internet users you're here to put things straight.

Btw have you also told Chinese authorities to stop wasting time cracking down on it as it doesn't happen?
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are pet cows being stolen and boiled/skinned alive?

1) why would try steal domestic pets when there are dog farms

2) I find it hard to believe you can skin an animal alive and then boil it alive as claimed because

(a) why do something so illogical

(b) it's pretty hard to achieve what with skinning killing the dog before you can reach the pot

(c) it doesn't sound like the start of a good recipe and Chinese usually tastes quite good.

(d) what happens with the internal organs using this cooking method?

(e) PETA previously having been caught fibbing about this happening in the fur industry in China and thickos is believing it despite the fact that skinning something alive would damage the fur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) why would try steal domestic pets when there are dog farms

2) I find it hard to believe you can skin an animal alive and then boil it alive as claimed because

(a) why do something so illogical

(b) it's pretty hard to achieve what with skinning killing the dog before you can reach the pot

(c) it doesn't sound like the start of a good recipe and Chinese usually tastes quite good.

(d) what happens with the internal organs using this cooking method?

(e) PETA previously having been caught fibbing about this happening in the fur industry in China and thickos is believing it despite the fact that skinning something alive would damage the fur.

1) They don't have dog farms, It's easier and cheaper to steal pets.

2) I've seen videos and pictures of dogs and cats! being skinned alive, they say it's easier!

e) and don't call me a thicko if that's aimed at me. I'm far from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky for internet users you're here to put things straight.

Btw have you also told Chinese authorities to stop wasting time cracking down on it as it doesn't happen?

I'll happily retract if you provide credible links instead of fantasy ones

I'll give you a start
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eating+live+monkey+brains&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=h4iJVcXrGuaq8weU4oCoCQ
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) They don't have dog farms, It's easier and cheaper to steal pets.

2) I've seen videos and pictures of dogs and cats! being skinned alive, they say it's easier!

e) and don't call me a thicko if that's aimed at me. I'm far from it.

Yes, they do have farms. It's easier to farm then face the wrath of the Chinese authorities. I have seen videos and pictures of turkeys being used as baseballs and piglets being swung in the air and smashed into the walls with their tails, all from the UK. Don't believe everything you read in the daily Mail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they do have farms. It's easier to farm then face the wrath of the Chinese authorities. I have seen videos and pictures of turkeys being used as baseballs and piglets being swung in the air and smashed into the walls with their tails, all from the UK. Don't believe everything you read in the daily Mail.

Well they might have some farms but the stealing of pets does happen and that needs to stop. I'm not saying animals aren't treated badly over here but at least there are animal welfare laws in place here, in China there isn't. I don't get my information from the daily mail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they might have some farms but the stealing of pets does happen and that needs to stop. I'm not saying animals aren't treated badly over here but at least there are animal welfare laws in place here, in China there isn't. I don't get my information from the daily mail.

It happens more in Vietnam not China. Here in the UK we use dogs to fight one another, to tear each other apart for money. Many pet dogs are stolen or adopted from shelters to fight to the death for money and status. The rich also use packs of dogs to rip other wild dogs apart. Same thing.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it hard to believe that no-one in China finds their animal abuse record appalling. Surely, groups have been set up to fight all this.

More and more Chinese people are turning against animal cruelty and they have set up protest groups but like with Spain's inability to truely let go of bull fighting, it's goimg to take time - and changing attitudes by those in charge - to make real change..

Whether it's moral or not to eat 'companion animals' is debateable but to cause delibrate and extreme suffering is not up for debate and hopefully the fact that China is slowly catching up with other countries when it comes to animal welfare can hopefuliy be a positive.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It happens more in Vietnam not China. Here in the UK we use dogs to fight one another, to tear each other apart for money. Many pet dogs are stolen or adopted from shelters to fight to the death for money and status. The rich also use packs of dogs to rip other wild dogs apart. Same thing.

Extreme animal cruelty and dog fighting is illegal in the UK, it's not illegal in China, so it's more accepted over there.
  • Options
    wychwych Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you should have a look at this (warning it's sick) before knocking this country over lobsters and going on about cultural intolerance, it seems anything goes from eating live donkey to live monkey brains.

I thought that the eating live monkey brains story had been shown to be a classic urban myth. Almost everybody's heard of the practice but there appears to be a remarkable dearth of reliable first hand witnesses. I recall reading somewhere that a journalist admitted to having invented the story in the late 1940s as a joke & was surprised that so many people believed it. I suspect that the story has achieved such popularity & widespread credence because it fits in so nicely with Western racial stereotypes about the Chinese.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A minority but yes that also needs to stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Extreme animal cruelty and dog fighting is illegal in the UK, it's not illegal in China, so it's more accepted over there.

A Chinese person could read an article on dog fighting in the UK or hunting with hounds and draw the same conclusions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A minority but yes that also needs to stop.

Yes just as its a minority in China.