Do Sky have to replace a faulty SkyHD box?

13»

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guess it will be tested if I buy an electrical item that goes worng and the retailer wont replace or repair it free for me.

when that happens though, you'd never come here and admit it. you'd scurry away and keep it a secret as it wouldn't fit with your agenda.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    when that happens though, you'd never come here and admit it. you'd scurry away and keep it a secret as it wouldn't fit with your agenda.

It would not happen but if it did then I certainly would let people know if for no other reason then to highlight DL was wrong
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would not happen but if it did then I certainly would let people know if for no other reason then to highlight DL was wrong

You seem to put your total faith on what DL says!
    He is making a tv program at the end of the day so will pick and choose what "cases" they use. They will never pick one where they know they have no case - and that will be the vast majority of those submitted to them.

Ps thought you were ignoring my posts :D
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Spin it how you want Nigel but DL states it in a simple way so people like me dont have to get involved with trading standards laws and understanding them.
    All we need to know is what the law is and what we need to do if that law is not applied by a retailer.

You've just admitted you DON'T know the law, and that you're basing your posts on a TV entertainment programme :D

We have had this disagreement before so doubt we will agree now :), guess it will be tested if I buy an electrical item that goes worng and the retailer wont replace or repair it free for me.

Assuming it's past the 12 months warranty, and the retailer refuses to repair or replace it (notice I didn't say FOC), you then have the right (under the SOGA) to take them to court, In court, you then have to proof a manufacturing defect, and if you win the court will award you 'something' :D

They may award you the full value, or only a partial amount - it depends on the exact circumstances, and the particular court.

Often the retailer will 'give in' before that point, as it's likely to cost him more to go to court than he can possibly save.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've just admitted you DON'T know the law, and that you're basing your posts on a TV entertainment programme :D

Assuming it's past the 12 months warranty, and the retailer refuses to repair or replace it (notice I didn't say FOC), you then have the right (under the SOGA) to take them to court, In court, you then have to proof a manufacturing defect, and if you win the court will award you 'something' :D

They may award you the full value, or only a partial amount - it depends on the exact circumstances, and the particular court.

Often the retailer will 'give in' before that point, as it's likely to cost him more to go to court than he can possibly save.

Its a TV program but a very accurate one and DL advice I guess has saved people a lot of money, not just on this subject.
    No retailer would go to a small claims court they would pay up as they know they would loose and be ripped apart for breaking the law.:)

If someone bought a brand new TV for say a grand and it went wrong after 18 months no retailer big or small would attempt to do nothing for the customer, most people are clued up on the law and very few would just accept they would have to pay money for repairs.
    Its really all about what is an acceptable time scale for a electrical item to last. DL said I think 6 years for free standing home appliances but would doubt many people would get repairs done FOC 6 years down the line. I think for the average static appliance up to 3 years should ensure the retailer would do something for the customer especially if the appliance has totally failed. Any older then 3 years then I guess it depends how persistant the customer is and the retailer involved.
    My washing machine failed after 2 years 10 months, they sent someone out who said it was not repairable and they sent me a brand new one which was a newer and more advanced model then I had without any fight whatsoever.
  • daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a 32" crt phillips tv tube failure after 18months , bought from hydro electric shop.
    In the beginning they told me to get local certified repairer to diagnose fault(£400 for new tube + £100 repair), then said 1 year guarantee had passed.
    I wrote to perth head office stating SOGA ( 4 years from purchase in scotland) whilst hassling them i also got onto phillips about tube only lasting 18months.
    After approx 6 weeks phillips supplied new tube and hydro board paid repair bill.
    Ive never bought extra warranties , it was a good learning how your consumer rights worked. Tv`s have only to do 1 job, electrical goods with moving parts are a different matter (wear & tear)
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Its a TV program but a very accurate one and DL advice I guess has saved people a lot of money, not just on this subject.
    No retailer would go to a small claims court they would pay up as they know they would loose and be ripped apart for breaking the law.:)

If someone bought a brand new TV for say a grand and it went wrong after 18 months no retailer big or small would attempt to do nothing for the customer, most people are clued up on the law and very few would just accept they would have to pay money for repairs.
    Its really all about what is an acceptable time scale for a electrical item to last. DL said I think 6 years for free standing home appliances but would doubt many people would get repairs done FOC 6 years down the line. I think for the average static appliance up to 3 years should ensure the retailer would do something for the customer especially if the appliance has totally failed. Any older then 3 years then I guess it depends how persistant the customer is and the retailer involved.
    My washing machine failed after 2 years 10 months, they sent someone out who said it was not repairable and they sent me a brand new one which was a newer and more advanced model then I had without any fight whatsoever.

Slightly different to what you were implying earlier on, which was retailers dishing out brand new replacements long after the years warranty had run out.

All Dom Littlewood does is inform consumers of their rights and how to complain if the retailer is difficult. He does nothing more than what is available on various consumer web sites.

I would expect a retailer to repair/replace a faulty electrical item FOC if it was over 1 year old but under 3 years old under the sales of goods act, if they didn't comply I know I would have to take the matter further, which could involve me proofing the item was faulty and not broken through misuse. I wouldn't expect to walk out the store with a brand new replacement, I acknowledge there will be the odd occasion where a new replacement will be offered, but this certainly won't be on the majority of cases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Slightly different to what you were implying earlier on, which was retailers dishing out brand new replacements long after the years warranty had run out.
    All Dom Littlewood does is inform consumers of their rights and how to complain if the retailer is difficult. He does nothing more than what is available on various consumer web sites.

I would expect a retailer to repair/replace a faulty electrical item FOC if it was over 1 year old but under 3 years old under the sales of goods act, if they didn't comply I know I would have to take the matter further, which could involve me proofing the item was faulty and not broken through misuse. I wouldn't expect to walk out the store with a brand new replacement, I acknowledge there will be the odd occasion where a new replacement will be offered, but this certainly won't be on the majority of cases.

Never implied that at all, you need to go back and re-read posts.
    I can quote my own post if you like:) here we go
    I use a guideline as follows.

up to 1 year warrenty
    1-2 years would go for brand new replacement and at the very least fixed for free
    2-4 years repaired free
    Over 4 years... well you have to accept your unlikely to get it fixed although Dom Littlewood may disagree that even after 4 years you could get it fixed for free.

Dom littlewoods advice was not available on websites laid out in an easy to understand fashion, thats why he did it and the BBC posted it on their website, it made a complex act simply explained for the average guy on the street.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    of course, you would be free to cancel your subscription at any point after your initial 12 month period.

however, if you go in with that attitude from the start then you're cancellation would most likely be accepted.

look at it this way though, if your mobile phone broke (out of warranty) would you expect your carrier to give you a replacement free of charge? afterall, your argument is that because you pay then a sub every month they should keep you in a working phone for free.

If the boiler in your house broke, would you expect British gas to give you another one, cause you pay them for gas?

If your tv brakes does the bbc give you another one, cause you pay them?

If your house phone breaks do bt rush round and give you another phone for free cause you pay line rental

The list goes on, why is sky any different?

It is your box, your responsibility, you pay sky for the channels, not for looking after your property
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    If the boiler in your house broke, would you expect British gas to give you another one, cause you pay them for gas?

If your tv brakes does the bbc give you another one, cause you pay them?

If your house phone breaks do bt rush round and give you another phone for free cause you pay line rental

The list goes on, why is sky any different?

It is your box, your responsibility, you pay sky for the channels, not for looking after your property
    Yes exactally my 1TB Box was faulty 12 months ago and I willingly paid the £65.00 call out and I paid for a new Sky Box. I do get quite annoyed by these people who get these brand new free boxes after the warranty has expired. And I've never had any special offers from Sky at all and I've been with Sky Digital from day one.
    Ian.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Never implied that at all, you need to go back and re-read posts.
    I would say you did, probably why there are members questioning what you are posting.

Eg.
    Well I am living proof thats correct, TV's, washing machines, sky boxes, just a few things I have had brand new replacements for long after a years warrenty. My microwave I bought from argos went wrong after less then 2 years, come out of argos with a brand new replacement, no questions asked.

Dom littlewoods advice was not available on websites laid out in an easy to understand fashion, thats why he did it and the BBC posted it on their website, it made a complex act simply explained for the average guy on the street.
    Consumer rights have been available long before Dom Littlewood came on the scene, they have made it simpler for those who can't be arsed to read the sales of goods act for themselves, they haven't changed the way the act works. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    I would say you did, probably why there are members questioning what you are posting.

With the exception of Nigel I think its more a case of looking at the the ones who were questioning me, same old faces just a different subject so I would not read too much into that.

There really is no discussion, most people are aware of the situation and only a fool or a very rich person would be happy to chuck a TV away or pay out for repairs if it goes wrong after a short space of time.
    It depends on the appliance, Kettles, toasters and the like get more abuse so its gonna be hard getting one of those replaced or fixed after a few years but TV's and static kitchen appliances thats a different matter.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    would be number 3 :)

in fact if you buy a TV from TESCO, they will only change it for a new one within the first 28 days, after that it's a repair job.

Depends on whether they believe the cost of repair is worthwhile. I bought a TV from TESCO in 2010. After 9 months it stopped working. I phoned the store and explained the problem and they advised I took it back to the store for a team member to assess it.

The supervisor decided to replace the TV and also gave me a guarantee from the date the TV was replaced. In many instances it's cheaper for stores to replace the item rather than repair it.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    Yes exactally my 1TB Box was faulty 12 months ago and I willingly paid the £65.00 call out and I paid for a new Sky Box. I do get quite annoyed by these people who get these brand new free boxes after the warranty has expired. And I've never had any special offers from Sky at all and I've been with Sky Digital from day one.
    Ian.

My brothers Sky box broke down. He did get a call out/replacement but because he couldn't afford the £65 call out in one go they added £6.50 to his account in order for him to pay in instalments. They are accommodating when they have to be.