Next Gen game prices

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boxx wrote: »
    Yep sat on a sofa in front of a big telly beats sat at a desk :D

Unless you're using the KB/M in which case its a pain in the arse on the sofa. I found I always had to construct a pillow fort around myself to support the mouse :p

The day I installed Bioshock, sat down with a 360 controller and didn't spend 30minutes tinkering with the settings to get the best possible graphical detail versus frame rate was the day I realised PC gaming just wasn't for me any more.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Unless you're using the KB/M in which case its a pain in the arse on the sofa. I found I always had to construct a pillow fort around myself to support the mouse :p

The day I installed Bioshock, sat down with a 360 controller and didn't spend 30minutes tinkering with the settings to get the best possible graphical detail versus frame rate was the day I realised PC gaming just wasn't for me any more.

I'm rocking an old keyboard box with a SteelSeries (really thick) mouse mat on it and it works a treat.
    Had a similar experience when I spent a whole day on download/install/tweak, by the time I got to create character, I just couldn't give a shit lol
    Nvidia experience is getting us to the point where I can build a PC for a friend with little knowledge, and forget about it. (Homeplugs are priceless in that respect :D) Not quite there but leaps and bounds ahead of a few years ago.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Nope Sony are making $18 a console not sure about MS

Both are sold at a loss, once you factor in distribution costs, packaging, shipping and advertising:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427757,00.asp

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-20-sony-expects-to-recoup-playstation-4-hardware-loss-at-launch
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep sat on a sofa in front of a big telly beats sat at a desk :D

All of these convenience myths are old now, back in the day you shoved cartridge in and console played game, back then PC games were arseholes and the game before the game was a thing.
    These days PC gaming and PCs in general are much more user friendly, and consoles are much less user friendly. So now you have to install console games, take patches and firmware updates, suffer downtime on your favourite games etc...(:p)
    What I'm getting at is the image of the PC gamer, in another room, radiation tan from sitting too close to the monitor, and spending more time prepping the game than playing it (ok the last one still holds true ha) is a bit last decade, and whilst PC cases don't look anywhere near as cool as the PS4 they are getting that small. The Razer Blade (don't look at the price!) shows how cooling solutions have become much more discreet, and the PS4 itself is an excellent example of this. So it won't be long until we get some really smart living room worthy PC cases and the look is no longer an issue. Ramble sorry lol

and here's me thinking we're all just geeks with expensive PC's that sit squinting at a small monitor pressing buttons and moving a mouse around ;):D
    Forum Member
    and here's me thinking we're all just geeks with expensive PC's that sit squinting at a small monitor pressing buttons and moving a mouse around ;):D

Still got a beige PC in the cupboard:o
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still got a beige PC in the cupboard:o

Your safe mate, I don't think anyone will notice your post :D
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supply and demand! Prices are all about market forces. Nothing more complicated than that.
  • Hendo9Hendo9 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be more 'shrewd' with your purchases if it bothers you so much?

Ive paid a total of £21 for FIFA 14 PS4
    Ive paid £11.99 for NBA 2K14 (using voucher/reward points from GAME to buy PS3 version - Got it for £0... digital upgrade for £11.99)

COD Ghosts can be found cheap on PS3 too via eBay, HotUKDeals/even GAME had it cheaper than usual the other day... then pay the small price and upgrade to PS4
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hendo9 wrote: »
    Just be more 'shrewd' with your purchases if it bothers you so much?

Ive paid a total of £21 for FIFA 14 PS4
    Ive paid £11.99 for NBA 2K14 (using voucher/reward points from GAME to buy PS3 version - Got it for £0... digital upgrade for £11.99)

COD Ghosts can be found cheap on PS3 too via eBay, HotUKDeals/even GAME had it cheaper than usual the other day... then pay the small price and upgrade to PS4

Hush... You will disprove the myth that only PC gamers are shrewd customers :p
    Forum Member
    Your safe mate, I don't think anyone will notice your post :D

I'm fully expecting a trend reversal in about 15 years, If not I'll weigh it in:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be buying a Ps4 or 360 for at least a year I made the mistake by buying the 360 at launch and didn't see anything different for a few months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    as xhellstormx mentioned... most PC games have full support for xbox 360 controllers... and those that dont you can use pinnacle game profiler. ( apart from RTS Games), that combined with the PC being generally better than both consoles anyway means I doubt i'll be getting any of these consoles anytime soon. Most games are cheaper on the PC aswell, I mean.. you can't really complain at getting Call of Duty Ghosts for only £24.99

http://www.floogit.com/e/5030917125751/compare-call-duty-ghosts-prices
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you can get games cheaper on ebay and Gum tree anyway.

Any new titles on the Xbox 360 were still £40-£50 but quickly dropped.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    I won't be buying a Ps4 or 360 for at least a year I made the mistake by buying the 360 at launch and didn't see anything different for a few months.

Really so were some early xbox 360 games only a tiny bit better than the later games for the old xbox?
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done pretty well with PS4 game prices so far.

Killzone = £23 (bundle)
    Need For Speed = £40
    Battlefield 4 = £35
    Flower = Free
    Escape Plan = Free

Add in the PlayStation Plus content and F2P games and I've got nothing to complain about.

A brand new console + extra pad + camera + 10 games to play for £505.

Bargain!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^

Add Assassin's Creed 4 at £28 to that list.

Gaming has never been better value.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol ff. Great Deal for AC fans.
    Now if only they'd put ghosts up for 50p and I'd take a chance
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping they come down in price. I don't like the idea of paying £50 per game. I remember there being a 'protest week' in 2002 where a website or something tried to get people not to buy games in order to reduce them in price from the £40 per game. Nowadays I'm quite happy if I get a game for £40!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    I'm hoping they come down in price. I don't like the idea of paying £50 per game. I remember there being a 'protest week' in 2002 where a website or something tried to get people not to buy games in order to reduce them in price from the £40 per game. Nowadays I'm quite happy if I get a game for £40!!

There is no way they won't come down

Right now there is about 10-20 games to choose from so no matter what if you where getting next gen you'd get at least one of them, but in a year when they are 100 games on the market and half of them can be bought for about £20 pre owned it would be suicide for any game other than FIFA or COD to be priced above £40-45
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people not take inflation into account when talking about the price of games?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people not take inflation into account when talking about the price of games?

Clearly not.

I was paying £40 (and more) for MegaDrive / SNES games 25 years ago. We'd all love to pay less, but in reality current prices aren't bad at all.

And while the headline price of big name titles may seem higher, the advent of digital titles means we have the the opportunity of cheaper games that simply didn't exist on consoles before.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the reason why I haven't bought into next gen yet. I will wait anothet half a year for more games, cheaper game and trade ins.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember SNES games being £35.

Hell I remember the original Ghost Recon for the 360 - I believe it was a launch title - at £55.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I hate paying more than £40 for a game mainly due to the lack of time that i get to play them, so i generally wait till a game has been out for a while and then i will pick them up when the price drops. The only games I would get on release day are generally GTA and FIFA.

I remember paying £60 a game when the N64 first came out, so game prices are actually pretty good considering inflation but to counter that i would assume that production costs have been reduced.

I also dont like the fact that they charge so much for a digital download when they dont need to package and ship a game surely it should be cheaper
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate paying more than £40 for a game mainly due to the lack of time that i get to play them, so i generally wait till a game has been out for a while and then i will pick them up when the price drops. The only games I would get on release day are generally GTA and FIFA...

Have to agree. Although my mindset has changed since 2005 ish. I was looking at my old orders on amazon - used to pay £40 for a game back then for my 360, but nowadays I wait for a few months before I buy the game to save money. it's also partly due to not having the same amount of time as I used to, playing games now takes me months and months to finish. XCOM for example took me 7 months to finish.

Bought some bargains:

The Last of Us - £21
    Bioshock Infinite - £17
    GTA 5 - £30
    AC4: Black Flag - £22

etc - so I think it's worth waiting to save money - the money saved could always be used to buy another game :)