Options

Hollywood & Trump

Comments

• Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    A lot of Facebook users in the US are criticsing the awards ceremony itself saying Hollywood Actors should shut up once and for all. Everyday Americans think that Hollywood has no idea how they live as they are wealthy and dont have to struggle for the next dollar.

And yet almost every normal everyday American I am friends with or follow on social media agrees with what Meryl Streep did and supports the Hollywood damning of Trump.

And yes I know that is only a very small teeny tiny sample of the American public.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of Facebook users in the US are criticsing the awards ceremony itself saying Hollywood Actors should shut up once and for all. Everyday Americans think that Hollywood has no idea how they live as they are wealthy and dont have to struggle for the next dollar.

Whereas Trump and his ilk worked their way up from the slums...
  • Options
    LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    panixs wrote: »
    He didnt deserve best director award, he deserved to be in prison for raping a 13 year old then fleeing the country.

Don't criticise the panel who choose Oscar recipients then, criticise the government who let him flee. AMPAS weren't picking a person based on his morality, but on whether his film was any good or not.
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member

Whereas millionaire Hollywood celebrity Trump really knows the struggle and can relate.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    The weird part about Roman Polanski, seems he paid the mother of the girl off. The girl now a grown woman came forward the other year and said she forgave him and it was all in the past. This was when the extradition thing was going on.

people seem to forget this. comparing streep clapping a film to her lambasting the future POTUS for mocking someone with a disability...
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    people seem to forget this. comparing streep clapping a film to her lambasting the future POTUS for mocking someone with a disability...

The fact that the woman came forward and said she forgave Polanski doesn't mean it is okay for Meryl Streep to applaud one of his films. Perhaps the victim saying she forgave him and had moved on was part of the healing process for the victim. It doesn't give others licence to overlook his crime. I am no Trump fan, but I do think that some celebrities condemn him because it is acceptable and even fashionable. I wish they were so quick to condemn the likes of Polanski and Woody Allen. Mocking somebody with a disability is terrible, but its not really on the same level as child abuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »
    The fact that the woman came forward and said she forgave Polanski doesn't mean it is okay for Meryl Streep to applaud one of his films. Perhaps the victim saying she forgave him and had moved on was part of the healing process for the victim. It doesn't give others licence to overlook his crime. I am no Trump fan, but I do think that some celebrities condemn him because it is acceptable and even fashionable. I wish they were so quick to condemn the likes of Polanski and Woody Allen. Mocking somebody with a disability is terrible, but its not really on the same level as child abuse.

Polanski and Woody Allen aren't in line to be the next POTUS though.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    you seriously think right wing parties like the Republicans, the parties of corporate America and global capitalism, are fighting for ordinary working class people? You think Trump cares for the little people?? Look at his appalling record already

No I don't - But I am always far more annoyed by Liberal/Labour/Democrats who insult the intelligence of ordinary working people by pretending to represent them.
    The same parties who attempt to demonise any ordinary person that doesn't 100% share their visions of what constitutes modern day racism/homophobia/sexism/environmental issues etc

They have become a hysterical thought police,that uses ordinary people as a tax paying cash cow whilst punishing them with hidden stealth taxes and ignoring their day to day social and economical living experiences.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzyroz wrote: »
    Polanski and Woody Allen aren't in line to be the next POTUS though.

The point I was trying to make (and perhaps didn't do very well) is that Hollywood stars tend to speak out on things which are acceptable or fashionable. They are reluctant to speak out against one of their own, even if that person has abused or exploited a child. Hollywood also has a long history of excluding minority groups, or choosing to represent them because it might lead to an Oscar nomination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point I was trying to make (and perhaps didn't do very well) is that Hollywood stars tend to speak out on things which are acceptable or fashionable. They are reluctant to speak out against one of their own, even if that person has abused or exploited a child. Hollywood also has a long history of excluding minority groups, or choosing to represent them because it might lead to an Oscar nomination.

If they haven't spoken about the claims of abuse, perhaps they were never asked for a comment. If they were asked, don't you think that they would say they were abhorrent? You obviously have quite a low opinion of the morality of Hollywood stars.
  • Options
    samantha_vinesamantha_vine Posts: 1,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    The DM is a Farage paper.....so they love Trump and have a history of supporting fascist.

I don't understand how people actually read the daily mail
    Like what kind of people are they?
  • Options
    Forum Member

All very true. They should be held accountable for that. 'Why did you hire an actor for this project, who has history of abusing women? There are hundreds of other actors who could do the job instead of him.' But when Hw actors do speak up, like Meryl did, people hurry to try to refute that talk and silence it. We can't demand action from actors and artists, but then turn around and try to make light of their actions they choose to take part in.
  • Options
    AbbieJayAbbieJay Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Seems to be fashionable atm to attack and try to remove democratically elected people. US, UK (Brexit), Syria... All you see on the BBC is luvvies taking the p out of Brexit (and demonising it), as if 2% of the population are for it rather than the MAJORITY.
    On Trump, the rallies I saw photo's of had packed out stadiums at Trump's and about 8 people at Hillary's.
    On the subject of the disability, I've heard he did the same action when talking about a couple of other people & didn't even know who the guy was when he was talking about him, or that he had a disability.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    The weird part about Roman Polanski, seems he paid the mother of the girl off. The girl now a grown woman came forward the other year and said she forgave him and it was all in the past. This was when the extradition thing was going on.

I'd imagine it's because she gets hounded by the tabloids when Polanski is in the news.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Polanski gets a pass because he survived being in a concentration camp, and because it's reasonable to assume his wife being violently murdered effected his mental health at the time.

Not saying I agree with it of course.
  • Options
    twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whereas millionaire Hollywood celebrity Trump really knows the struggle and can relate.

Apparently, yes. More than multimillionaire Clintons who made their money through politics. That is feeding at the public trough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Polanski gets a pass because he survived being in a concentration camp, and because it's reasonable to assume his wife being violently murdered effected his mental health at the time.

Not saying I agree with it of course.

Polanski has never verified his stories of his early experiences, has he?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AbbieJay wrote: »
    Seems to be fashionable atm to attack and try to remove democratically elected people. US, UK (Brexit), Syria... All you see on the BBC is luvvies taking the p out of Brexit (and demonising it), as if 2% of the population are for it rather than the MAJORITY.
    On Trump, the rallies I saw photo's of had packed out stadiums at Trump's and about 8 people at Hillary's.
    On the subject of the disability, I've heard he did the same action when talking about a couple of other people & didn't even know who the guy was when he was talking about him, or that he had a disability.

He had something wrong with one arm. Not readily apparent in a crowd. people are behaving as though he was mocking a spastic in a wheel chair.
  • Options
    LongshotLongshot Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    twells wrote: »
    He had something wrong with one arm. Not readily apparent in a crowd. people are behaving as though he was mocking a spastic in a wheel chair.
    Are you deliberately trying to be offensive or are you just extremely ignorant? I suspect even Trump knows words like "spastic" are unacceptable in this day & age.

You are also completely wrong. Kovaleski doesn't just have "something wrong with one arm" as you blithely put it, he has arthrogryposis which has resulted in severe distortion of the limb. Trump knew that well having met him on numerous occasions and anyone claiming the way Trump imitated him at that rally was not mocking his disability is only kidding themselves.
  • Options
    gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite simple. They live in a bubble, they have their own world separated from the rest of society. They don't see what goes on outside of their bubble.
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    There is a video on YouTube which shows Trump often uses those mocking hand gestures while impersonating someone. So maybe he wasn't mocking the disabled?

https://youtu.be/_8JqT2atxD8

I think the point is the average American Joe republican voter isnt going to change their mind over a fawning celebrity at an awards show. Clinton tried playing that card by getting people like Katy Perry on board with her campaign but it backfired.

Streep has a right to express an opinion of course but wether it achieves anything is doubtful. Hey should stick to the gushing thank yous would be best!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJonesSCFC wrote: »
    There is a video on YouTube which shows Trump often uses those mocking hand gestures while impersonating someone. So maybe he wasn't mocking the disabled?

https://youtu.be/_8JqT2atxD8

I think the point is the average American Joe republican voter isnt going to change their mind over a fawning celebrity at an awards show. Clinton tried playing that card by getting people like Katy Perry on board with her campaign but it backfired.

Streep has a right to express an opinion of course but wether it achieves anything is doubtful. Hey should stick to the gushing thank yous would be best!

He used hand gestures to mock a non-disabled person, but those gestures were decidedly less violent than the ones he used to mock Mr. Kovalevski. Naturally, the right wing website who made this particular video is going to stand up for Trump anyway..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't Clinton win the popular vote, though? Im confused, how many people seem to think that trump swept more votes than Clinton, which isn't the case.

When high profile celebs speak up, it gets attention to their cause. We, the public, often demand they use their voice for stuff other than gushing over their own projects, but when they do, we complain.
  • Options
    AbbieJayAbbieJay Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Didn't Clinton win the popular vote, though? Im confused, how many people seem to think that trump swept more votes than Clinton, which isn't the case.

Strange then, how Trump drew huge crowds, yet Hillary couldn't. Doesn't seem to reflect the votes.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/10/no-joke-hillary-rarely-has-more-than-1000-at-her-events/
    https://www.conservativeoutfitters.com/blogs/news/media-caught-lying-about-the-crowd-size-of-hillary-clinton-rallys