Options

Tesco Direct New Ipad ???

2»

Comments

• Options
    rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, if you had gone into an Apple store last weekend the displays would have shown iPad 3 as the new ipad, even though it was being replaced in a fortnights time

Any way any news of when they will be in Tesco Direct, they had them on release day in March
  • Options
    m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    the name "new iPad with Retina Display" now only refers to one particular device, and it is the one with the lightning port.

if any store is selling both current and previous versions then they need to be very explicit in which version is which, otherwise they could be accused of misleading customers.

Doesn't the 3rd generation have retina display? I don't see what any retailer would be doing wrong by selling the 3rd generation as 'iPad with retina display' as the description would be accurate.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m4tt24 wrote: »
    Doesn't the 3rd generation have retina display? I don't see what any retailer would be doing wrong by selling the 3rd generation as 'iPad with retina display' as the description would be accurate.

yes it does, but it was marketed as "the new iPad".
    that iPad no longer exists and as such has never been marketed as "iPad with Retina Display".

it's all about marketing names, and as such why shops need to be very careful if they intend on selling both old and new versions.
  • Options
    m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes it does, but it was marketed as "the new iPad".
    that iPad no longer exists and as such has never been marketed as "iPad with Retina Display".

it's all about marketing names, and as such why shops need to be very careful if they intend on selling both old and new versions.

How can a store be careful selling something that doesn't exist? Of course it exists. This is getting pretty bizarre. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m4tt24 wrote: »
    How can a store be careful selling something that doesn't exist? Of course it exists. This is getting pretty bizarre. :confused:

the previous "new" iPad is discontinued and once stocks are depleted will no longer be available.

you can no longer buy one from the online apple store.
  • Options
    sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am puzzled why they are still selling the ipad2 they must have shed loads of stock to still shift
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i saw your point, but i just don't accept that just because some people decide to call something by the wrong name that it makes it acceptable.
    What will you call "the new iPad" in 2 years time ? When it's a few more versions along, iPad ? Surely that's going to confuse it with the first.

Calling it ipad3 makes perfect sense, besides, even now it's no longer "the new iPad".
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    sheppy124 wrote: »
    I am puzzled why they are still selling the ipad2 they must have shed loads of stock to still shift

I thought they were retaining it as their budget model ?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheppy124 wrote: »
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I thought they were retaining it as their budget model ?

Correct. It's being kept as the budget model, just as when the N̶e̶w̶ Obsolete iPad was launched.

Apple has a very fast turn around of stock, it doesn't keep "shed loads" sitting around in warehouses unsold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    What will you call "the new iPad" in 2 years time ? When it's a few more versions along, iPad ? Surely that's going to confuse it with the first.

Calling it ipad3 makes perfect sense, besides, even now it's no longer "the new iPad".

it doesn't matter what it will be called in 2 years time as it won't be on sale by then.

does everyone who has a ford fiesta from 2,3,4 or 5 years ago get confused also? the "new" one is still just called a ford fiesta.
    when ford bring out a new fiesta, i'm pretty sure they market it as the "new" ford fiesta.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea your right, I have a 15th generation fiesta (with retina display) the wife has a 9th generation fiesta (without retina display) still available at Fords, although the 10,11,12,13 and 14 generation fiesta's are no longer available....obsolete
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 2nd generation Ford Focus. I thought i was buy a 2.5G focus though at the time = dissapointment.

Now I want the 3G Focus!! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This topic probably doesn't even warrant this much discussion!

But the basic point is this. If you're an ordinary but not tech savvy person who hears that Apple has announced a new iPad, then you go to the Tesco website and see 'the new IPad' being advertised, you'll probably think it's the actual newly announced one. And I don't think that would be an unreasonable conclusion to reach.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the basic point is this. If you're an ordinary but not tech savvy person who hears that Apple has announced a new iPad, then you go to the Tesco website and see 'the new IPad' being advertised, you'll probably think it's the actual newly announced one. And I don't think that would be an unreasonable conclusion to reach.

You're right.

Give them a chance though, they will update their marketing & product lines very very soon ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This topic probably doesn't even warrant this much discussion!

that's Tescos problem though, which is why i mentioned previously about having to be careful how they list things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    And to add a bit more confusion to this conversation some of Apple resellers do not get new models straight away. I believe the resellers cannot order an Apple product until the day of it's release (there are a few exceptions I believe in the states like Bestbuys & Wallmart).

In the UK Tesco's have no iPad mini's, they've only got the iPad 2 & the new iPad (3rd Generation). PC World has the iPad 2 & new iPad (3rd Generation) plus the iPad mini coming soon:o
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it doesn't matter what it will be called in 2 years time as it won't be on sale by then.

does everyone who has a ford fiesta from 2,3,4 or 5 years ago get confused also? the "new" one is still just called a ford fiesta.
    when ford bring out a new fiesta, i'm pretty sure they market it as the "new" ford fiesta.
    Of course it will be on sale, have you not heard of that new sales place, eBay or something I think it's called.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco had the iPad 3 a day after Apple in March
    I collected mine from store on the Saturday, seems a bit quite this time though

Maybe there waiting for the £10 off direct orders to expire tomorrow