The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    We will find out within 18 days, not exactly long or much longer then last year. People being a bit melodramatic

As they say it will get worse before it gets better. If things were taken out of context before March... :D:D
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As they say it will get worse before it gets better. If things were taken out of context before March... :D:D

I am afraid we might have to set up a hotline to help people get through this tough time if we wait too much longer :p
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    We will find out within 18 days, not exactly long or much longer then last year. People being a bit melodramatic

It's not a case of comparing the delay to last year - in general, the feeling we get from the BBC is that they don't give the first monkey's about the selection, so neither do we. They could delay it until May every year, but the lack of enthusiasm from the BBC would still be the most frustrating thing.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True - but there are rumours on like boombangablog, ukeurovision and other people on twitter saying they accidentally tweeted that kimberley walsh will represent the UK..........oh help.

The Kimberly Walsh rumour sounds like a hoax. Strange that only one person is supposed to have seen this mysterious tweet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,382
    Forum Member
    Someone pointed out that all that had been done was somebody had posted over the latest tweet from the BBC Eurovision (I think it links to a Dr. Eurovision article on the website) and put the Kimberley/Lys one. The tweet counts remained the same, for example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a case of comparing the delay to last year - in general, the feeling we get from the BBC is that they don't give the first monkey's about the selection, so neither do we. They could delay it until May every year, but the lack of enthusiasm from the BBC would still be the most frustrating thing.

Its an internal selection though, most countries who have an internal selection don't make a big song or dance about it. Russia being a prime example, even when they have a NF you don't find out till quite late.

They have given us a date at least....even if that dates the latest possible one :p
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an internal selection though, most countries who have an internal selection don't make a big song or dance about it. Russia being a prime example, even when they have a NF you don't find out till quite late.

They have given us a date at least....even if that dates the latest possible one :p

Brian Kennedy was announced as the Irish entrant in mid November 2005, almost as soon as he had signed the contract with RTE.....none of this waiting around for the EBU deadline in March nonsense.
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe how little I care about the UK's act and song now. If they're going to be such bores and keep schtum about it until the last possible minute, I'd rather not waste my time fretting about it.

Anyway, I can't get enough of 'Marry Me' lately. She's got such stage presence and she's note perfect. Such a fun entry.

Agreed, sorry to everyone if I'm being "negative" again but I'm getting seriously disillusioned with the BBC's whole attitude to the contest. Unless by some miracle it turns out to be someone who was actually worth the wait, they obviously don't give a crap about us so I don't see why I should support their entry.

Oh, and I'm also loving Marry Me. Can't believe I hated it at first!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.esctoday.com/47057/uk-eurovision-rumour-frenzy-while-fans-wait-for-an-announcement/

Pretty much sums up everything with UK rumours as they stand
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Brian Kennedy was announced as the Irish entrant in mid November 2005, almost as soon as he had signed the contract with RTE.....none of this waiting around for the EBU deadline in March nonsense.

I would be more annoyed having a bland artist announced 7 months before the contest ;)

I don't see why people are making such a fuss its not like the BBC put in much effort even when it was NF's, baring 2009.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, sorry to everyone if I'm being "negative" again but I'm getting seriously disillusioned with the BBC's whole attitude to the contest. Unless by some miracle it turns out to be someone who was actually worth the wait, they obviously don't give a crap about us so I don't see why I should support their entry.

Oh, and I'm also loving Marry Me. Can't believe I hated it at first!

What difference would the BBC announcing the entry in say February make to their attitude to the contest? This was probably their plan all along to announce it as late as possible. I'm guessing they are looking at being the last announced so their is more media attention in the Eurovision world for the song/artist.

Not saying your wrong, but I just can't understand the fuss about when they announce, they have given us a date. Switzerland deal with normally being first announced every year and doesn't often help them, we just need to deal with we will be last announced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are esctoday seriously writing whole articles on the fact that there's no news? FGS, they used to be a good website :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact is Channel 1 (Rus) and BBC (UK) have far better things to do than chasing the whims of a small minority of their viewers especially when it comes to this time of year. With a national final it requires more forward projecting, an internal less so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What difference would the BBC announcing the entry in say February make to their attitude to the contest? This was probably their plan all along to announce it as late as possible. I'm guessing they are looking at being the last announced so their is more media attention in the Eurovision world for the song/artist.

Not saying your wrong, but I just can't understand the fuss about when they announce, they have given us a date. Switzerland deal with normally being first announced every year and doesn't often help them, we just need to deal with we will be last announced.

The Eurovision world is really just us fans though, I find it hard to believe they care about generating interest there, especially as it's such a tiny portion of the population. Anyway, most of the time they treat us like something they've just wiped off the bottom of their shoe.

Besides, it's not the fact they're leaving it so late that's annoying per se, but it invariably means that they've left it until late January to start looking for someone, got rejected by everyone they ask and had to settle for Englebert Humperdinck (see that joke of a letter they sent to Hurts last year). In fact, I bet you anything they haven't even finished recording the song yet. Look at France and the Netherlands, they've selected current, credible artists and revealed them early in the season, yet have still managed to drum up plenty of interest just by withholding the songs for a bit longer. There's no reason the BBC couldn't do something similar if they had the slightest interest in doing so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would hardly call the French artist credible or the French themselves as excited. The press and fans treated her announcement as a joke saying will she get more points at ESC than sales of her music. Despite all the time TROS have had they have been lucky with the rule change of 1st September.

I'd imagine all they need to do is shoot the video and they did have a demo listen in Jan. We do know they have been forwad planning to do something with the minipop icons but yet we're yet to know what.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macedonians don't seem to be too happy about their entry, this article talks about a Eurovision "scandal", and that there will be significant changes to the song:

http://www.novamakedonija.com.mk/DetalNewsInstant.asp?vestInstant=14590 (you can get the gist of it with google translate)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would hardly call the French artist credible or the French themselves as excited. The press and fans treated her announcement as a joke saying will she get more points at ESC than sales of her music. Despite all the time TROS have had lets be honest them and Anouk have been lucky with the rule change of 1st September.

I'd imagine all they need to do is shoot the video and they did have a demo listen in Jan. We do know they have been forwad planning to do something with the minipop icons but yet we're yet to know what.

Amandine Bourgeois is absolutely credible. The jokes came from the perception of the contest in France, not Amandine herself. Anything to do with eurovision is automatically derided there, even Euphoria never even made the top 20. That France Télévisions can still get artists like Amandine on board despite all that while the BBC gets four or five times the viewing figures for it and lumbers us with has beens year after year says a lot I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amandine Bourgeois is absolutely credible. The jokes came from the perception of the contest in France, not Amandine herself. Anything to do with eurovision is automatically derided there, even Euphoria never even made the top 20. That France Télévisions can still get artists like Amandine on board despite all that while the BBC gets four or five times the viewing figures for it and lumbers us with has beens year after year says a lot I think.

Really? it's like the UK picking Leon Jackson. There is no way of dressing up that she is a reality TV winning flop. I'm not saying what she'll do for ESC will be bad or anything. Most jokes were presented like most of us have said 'if we don't want to buy her stuff, why should Europe?' That is a question as fans we ask year in year out.
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    I'm about as excited about the UK entry as I am about Montenegro's. IMO, the UK are one of the worst countries in 21st century Eurovision thanks to the BBC. I don't think a UK entry has been on my "like" list since 2002.:o

Fortunately most other broadcasters make an effort!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alicey wrote: »
    I'm about as excited about the UK entry as I am about Montenegro's. IMO, the UK are one of the worst countries in 21st century Eurovision thanks to the BBC. I don't think a UK entry has been on my "like" list since 2002.:o

IMO the UK was strong 59-77. Got on track with J.King years and that's about it :o. A few exceptions exist but never in a trend of years. The weaknesses won't cut it now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? it's like the UK picking Leon Jackson. There is no way of dressing up that she is a reality TV winning flop. I'm not saying what she'll do for ESC will be bad or anything. Most jokes were presented like most of us have said 'if we don't want to buy her stuff, why should Europe?' That is a question as fans we ask year in year out.

Nothing wrong with picking a talent show contestant as long as they're actually talented and are current. Loreen and Maria Haukaas Storeng are two off the top of my head. She has more in common with Diana Vickers or Amelia Lily than Leon Jackson, and most of us were really excited when we thought one of them could be representing us.
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are esctoday seriously writing whole articles on the fact that there's no news? FGS, they used to be a good website :rolleyes:

They could really do with reviewing articles before publishing them "Graham Norton, the BBC commentator for the Eurovision Song Contest final did say that an announcement was due on 18 May." seriously? plus many more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with picking a talent show contestant as long as they're actually talented and are current. Loreen and Maria Haukaas Storeng are two off the top of my head. She has more in common with Diana Vickers or Amelia Lily than Leon Jackson, and most of us were really excited when we thought one of them could be representing us.

The brits you mentioned have had commercial success and they didn't win. The two ESC participants also had hits before they went to ESC. Amandine hasn't that's the point. She has a genre yes a niche rather than being on trend. She may come up with something very good we don't know. Amandine is however not on the radar of the French public and this is likely the last throw of the dice for her.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alicey wrote: »

I always get excited about the uk entry in the slight hope they might send a good song but yeah they have been awful since Jessica Garlick. (I could never stomach Jade Ewen's cringey ballad..."It's moi time, it's MOIIIII TIMEEEEEE!!!" oh shut up you self-entitled moo :rolleyes:)
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bjorkman still wants miming at Eurovision.

http://poplight.zitiz.se/artikel/melodifestivalen-2013-christer-bjoerkman-propagerar-foer-inspelad-koermusik-i-eurovision

In the words of Germany's massively underrated 2006 entry: NO NO NEVER.
This discussion has been closed.