Miley Cyrus mocking mental health.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a bit harsh

I don't really care, to be honest. People like Miley make me sick. I am aware she's still young but the stigma towards mental illness is so bad anyway without someone so high profile trying to make it worse.

My main issue with Miley is how I'm pretty much forced to acknowledge her prescence at the moment. I know by joining in even this discussion I am just another person who is giving her the attention she craves and validating the media's obsession with reporting her every move, but I think she's going to be inescapable for a while yet and I resent that, especially now she's brought mocking mental illness into the picture.
  • tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Zora wrote: »
    I don't really care, to be honest. People like Miley make me sick. I am aware she's still young but the stigma towards mental illness is so bad anyway without someone so high profile trying to make it worse.

My main issue with Miley is how I'm pretty much forced to acknowledge her prescence at the moment. I know by joining in even this discussion I am just another person who is giving her the attention she craves and validating the media's obsession with reporting her every move, but I think she's going to be inescapable for a while yet and I resent that, especially now she's brought mocking mental illness into the picture.

Well said. Not sure she needs blowing up, though. Just sayin.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRM wrote: »
    I remember seeing Miley interviewed on the Jonathan Ross show a few years ago and she came across as arrogant, charmless, very full of herself and extremely unlikeable. Nothing has changed.

This is the clip. Incidentally, I think, despite her behaviour, she looks good in this. She's now ruined her appearance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZHODM50lE
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zora wrote: »

hey, I utterly agree with every sentence, very well put. :)I just worry miley may have her own problems in this regard.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, pretty clearly, and whats wrong with that, particularly as Miley is spear-heading the worst excesses of the Music industry now.

How you make Sinead to be the bad guy here, I'm not sure.

Miley referenced Sinead, looking for credibility, Sinead clearly and publically didn't want to be associated with it, her letter was very heart-felt, and complimentary of Cyrus.

Cyrus then responded in an hideous way mocking all people with mental-health problems.

Disgraceful, and totally out-of-order.

I think Sinead, being older and more mature than Miley, might have thought about how Miley might be likely to feel about her public rebuke (yes, I know there were compliments in there, but the overall tone was a rebuke). Miley might not be a child, but her recent behaviour makes it plain she isn't very mature; it should have been obvious to Sinead, had she thought about it, that Miley would be hurt and angry and would lash out in an unhelpful way. Sinead's own response to Miley's reaction can only inflame the situation further.

I'm sure Sinead meant well, and she has made some fair points, but I think she's handled this pretty badly, albeit not as badly as Miley has.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    If Miley and all her handlers were that smart they would have simply pointed out that Sinead was due to do some tour dates in america come November and yawned.
    It took me until tonight to realise this and become all cynical about Sinead and her open letters.
    Fair enough I imagine she feels strongly on the subject but if she didn't have dates to sell in the U.S next month I am not sure she'd have approached it this way. Call me cynical but I am:mad:

This is all true. However, I doubt Sinead would have brought up Miley at all, hadn't she been contacted by media, because Miley did bring up Sinead as her inspiration.

It has been speculated, that Miley herself has had/has issues with cutting and possible ED, so for her to use other people's mental health as a tool to attack them is just wrong. Also, Miley's good friend/s Demi and Britney tackle with mental health probles, which makes this even more awful on her part.

Oh, and Miley is 20 years old, not a child. She should and does know better. At her age she could join the army and can vote. She should be able to know how to handle her Twitter in a respectable manner.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit harsh, and I despised her comments, they were ****ing stupid, but lets wait and see what enfolds.

I'm very anti her at the moment, but there could be reasons.

There could very well be. Sometimes people go way overboard when criticising celebrities.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    tommytiger wrote: »
    I was living on my own and paying bills age 16, what clown says a 20 year old is a child?

me. I am the 'clown' that said she was a child.

she's a child because she's immature. the alternative is that she is mature, which would be a difficult case to make.

that you go straight to personal insults does nothing for your own credibility.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I think Sinead, being older and more mature than Miley, might have thought about how Miley might be likely to feel about her public rebuke (yes, I know there were compliments in there, but the overall tone was a rebuke). Miley might not be a child, but her recent behaviour makes it plain she isn't very mature; it should have been obvious to Sinead, had she thought about it, that Miley would be hurt and angry and would lash out in an unhelpful way. Sinead's own response to Miley's reaction can only inflame the situation further.

I'm sure Sinead meant well, and she has made some fair points, but I think she's handled this pretty badly, albeit not as badly as Miley has.

I agree with this post, Sinead would not have taken any notice if someone had told her to stop offending people when she was at her worst so it does smack of condescention.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am in complete agreement with you Dave (for a change);)
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    me. I am the 'clown' that said she was a child.

she's a child because she's immature. the alternative is that she is mature, which would be a difficult case to make.

that you go straight to personal insults does nothing for your own credibility.

A wilfully ignorant and immature adult is just that, and not a child.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    A wilfully ignorant and immature adult is just that, and not a child.

really 18 on the nose and you stop being a child.

i don't know how you know she's wilfully ignorant.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else think it's mileys parents that should have taken some bloody responsibility
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Anyone else think it's mileys parents that should have taken some bloody responsibility

I think Tish and Billy may be preoccupied with trying to save their marriage...again
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in complete agreement with you Dave (for a change);)

Is that a blue moon I see in the sky? ;)
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Miley Cyrus's existence completely repugnant.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's immature, she's a child, a grown-up wannabe who wants to shake off her Disney past. The best way she thought it to be done is being controversial and shocking. For me it only confirms her immaturity, there's a mind of a child behind all this.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    She's immature, she's a child, a grown-up wannabe who wants to shake off her Disney past. The best way she thought it to be done is being controversial and shocking. For me it only confirms her immaturity, there's a mind of a child behind all this.

I find that a lot of these child stars resort to behaving wildly to try and get rid of their former image of innocence on a children's TV show.
  • Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think either of them come out of this one well.

I used to think Miley was one of the good ones, who was bright enough to do her thing without resorting to the cliches. Unfortunately, she's gone down that route.

Sinead's actions were also very attention seeking. If she really did care, she wouldn't have attacked her publicly.

Miley shouldn't have alluded to Sinead's mental health problems, but I don't think she was having a go at people in general with mental health problems. She just wanted to suggest she didn't know what she was talking about. Definitely the wrong way to go about it, so it's right she is told why it was a stupid thing to do.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

There is the mind of a genius behind it because you are talking about it.

Her profile is going through the roof.

It doesnt matter whether you love her or hate her, she is doing what Madonna did 25 years ago and people are falling for it again.
  • laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jem19876 wrote: »
    I don't think either of them come out of this one well.

I used to think Miley was one of the good ones, who was bright enough to do her thing without resorting to the cliches. Unfortunately, she's gone down that route.

Sinead's actions were also very attention seeking. If she really did care, she wouldn't have attacked her publicly.

Miley shouldn't have alluded to Sinead's mental health problems, but I don't think she was having a go at people in general with mental health problems. She just wanted to suggest she didn't know what she was talking about. Definitely the wrong way to go about it, so it's right she is told why it was a stupid thing to do.

Her initial letter wasn't an attack, though, was it? Comparisons were being made between her video and Miley's, Miley had said she was an influence and she was asked to comment. And she did. Honestly. It was more an attack on the music industry and the general culture of sexualisation for profit than on Miley herself - it was clearly intended to be caring about Miley.

If I'd been Sinead and someone made a video apparently referencing a classic one of mine, but promoting a culture I fundamentally disagree with AND tried to use my name to give it kudos, I'd have had something to say publicly as well. Why on earth shouldn't she?
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that a blue moon I see in the sky? ;)

I think there's a flying pig somewhere too:eek:;)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    There is the mind of a genius behind it because you are talking about it.

Her profile is going through the roof.

It doesnt matter whether you love her or hate her, she is doing what Madonna did 25 years ago and people are falling for it again.

If 'that attention seeking saddo' is what she's after, she indeed has won.

As for Madonna, I like her songs, even without her gimmicks. When dust will settle over Cyrus I am not sure anybody will even remember her.
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not Sinead's place to be giving Miley advice. Miley isn't doing anything that outrageous. People have been saying that she was going to unravel for years, saying she was the next Lindsay Lohan.. that has not happened.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    If 'that attention seeking saddo' is what she's after, she indeed has won.

As for Madonna, I like her songs, even without her gimmicks. When dust will settle over Cyrus I am not sure anybody will even remember her.

You would have said the same when Madonna released "sex" or whatever the book was called.

Be outraged if you want but at least be aware that you are buying exactly into the hype.