Options

Chris Moyles Tax Dodging

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Abraca wrote: »
    According to Chris himself they haven't spoken since the show ended (though that was some time ago that he said that). Plus they don't follow or mention each other on twitter anymore.
    Sorry I ment to say in the last year of the show they barely spoke.

Dave hates tax dodgers.
  • Options
    welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing worse than a tax dodger.....ok there are a few things worse. Shameful.
  • Options
    welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should be ordered to repay all that unpaid tax. :mad:

Like we all do.

Hope to God ge does, PLUS fines & interest.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jioscar wrote: »
    Would I worry about the grief and embarrassment not in the slightest :D

Lol, good luck facing your workmates, mates down the pub and the family.

;-)
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Not for the grief and embarrassment when everyone finds out.

Why be embarrassed that you have tried to minimise your liability? It should be something everybody strives to do, but the problem is, most people are just tied up wage slaves on PAYE. Most self-employed people and Ltd Companies (like me) take contrived measures to structure affairs to minimise liability. It's borderline taking the piss sometimes, but you do what you can, it's a game. Taxpayer tries to take a bit, HMRC tries to take it back, and on it goes. If HMRC (or the courts to be more accurate) rule that your avoidance is outwith the rules, you pay them what they then ask for. But that shouldn't stop people trying. Certainly nothing to be embarrassed about.

Chris' public contrition is because he relies on his public image as part of his career in showbusiness, but to be honest, he'll be one of thousands in that industry all pulling the same wheezes with their tax.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He tried and sucessfully had a gagging order in place last year,said it would contravene his civil rights & would be career damaging etc., however the judge in this instance made the case public. So any mea culpa's (sic) he is making now are self serving.

He was VERY well aware that what he was doing was morally worong.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He tried and sucessfully had a gagging order in place last year,said it would contravene his civil rights & would be career damaging etc., however the judge in this instance made the case public. So any mea culpa's (sic) he is making now are self serving.

Correct.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member

Interesting, I didn't know that, what a tool>:(

It makes me so angry, as for his lame excuses on twitter. It just beggars belief that he's got away with it until now.
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Lol, good luck facing your workmates, mates down the pub and the family.

;-)

Depends on whether or not you associate with thieves. They'd be impressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member

There's no such thing as morally wrong when it comes to tax avoidance in my opinion. Just legally right and wrong.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    I find it sad folk look up to this grubby disgusting tax cheat?

I'm sad that you're sad :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    There's no such thing as morally wrong when it comes to tax avoidance in my opinion. Just legally right and wrong.

Thats like saying its not morally wrong to take public money that your not entitled to.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    It is completely wrong and immoral, no two ways about it as far as I'm concerned. Just the cheek of it, so what do you do Chris? Oh I'm a used car salesman, I do a little bit of radio and tv work on the side but primarily used cars, that's my trade. It's utter b******* & I'm glad it has become public knowledge and I hope, like he says, has 'learnt a valuable lesson' although I wonder if he just means it has cost him.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    It's not relevant. I bet he's given more to the taxman than you, so who are you to judge?

What a ridiculous ignorant comment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats like saying its not morally wrong to take public money that your not entitled to.

But you are entitled to keep the money you save from avoidance measures IF the courts decree that your tax structuring is within the rules, if not the spirit of the intent. Your analogy is more akin to tax evasion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I might be just being a bit thick, but I don't understand why Moyles (and any others that did the same) isn't facing serious charges. I totally get tax avoidance schemes such as offshore investment type things, setting up a company and drawing a wage etc but surely declaring yourself on an official tax form as something you blatantly are not and never have been must be illegal?

That isn't avoidance, it's blatant fraud and dishonesty. I am really puzzled. I accept many of us might avoid paying where we could but not like this!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But you are entitled to keep the money you save from avoidance measures IF the courts decree that your tax structuring is within the rules, if not the spirit of the intent. Your analogy is more akin to tax evasion.

Well that's where the law needs to change. Should be able claw back money from tax avoidance schemes used within x years of being closed.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I think he should get the same punishment as an unemployed person would get if they had stollen the equivalent amount of money in more straightforward theft.
  • Options
    dirty dingusdirty dingus Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could just see the former fat fcuk walking about singing the Minder theme tune in front off his minions dying to tell them what a card he is.
    Didn't even man up when caught, what a weasel. Throw the book at him, preferably a big heavy one.
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    He looked more like a slob 10 years ago. He may not have a regular gig, but far from a slob!

He has issued an apology on twitter. It was a very silly mistake.

A 'silly mistake' is something you do without thinking, this was a delibert act.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK is now so corrupt that blatant fraud does not receive punishment any more.

But only if the type of fraud is committed by the well-to-do.

I always find it curious how anyone can defend the actions of the corrupt well-to-do in this country. What is the psychology of such behaviour?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The hysterical over-reactions in this thread are hilarious (mind you it is the Showbiz forum so I shouldn't really be surprised) Anybody would think he had strangled a child or something.

I guarantee that some of the posters in this thread would be swayed by some of the avoidance measures if they were in his shoes, once they were told how much money they could potentially save.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hysterical over-reactions in this thread are hilarious (mind you it is the Showbiz forum so I shouldn't really be surprised) Anybody would think he had strangled a child or something.

I guarantee that some of the posters in this thread would be swayed by some of the avoidance measures if they were in his shoes, once they were told how much money they could potentially save.

I hope the government closes this loophole so tax dodgers can't avoid it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I hope the government closes this loophole so tax dodgers can't avoid it.

I'm sure they will. There are plenty more. It's a game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely this isn't just tax avoidance, this is fraud as well? Why has nobody mentioned that to date?