Options

Fiat 500 Or A Mini Cooper - Which Should I Buy?

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a budget of £5,000 to spend on a car. I've narrowed it down to either a Fiat 500 or a Mini (from auto trader). I really want a Mini Cooper...I've always loved Mini's! For my budget though, I would have to get a 2005 or 2006 one. Fiat 500's I love and think the interior is much ncier than the Mini. Also, I can get a 2009 reg Fiat 500 within my budget! Only problem with the Fiat is that overall I think it's a very, very small car. Anyone have any experience with either of these cars and can help sway my mind?

Comments

• Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a budget of £5,000 and have narrowed it down to these two cars, both of which I really like. I can get a Mini Cooper Convertible within my budget...love the car...but I can only afford a 2005 or 2006 reg. The Fiat 500 I really love too...I think the interior of the car is much nicer than the Mini and I can get a 2009 reg with my budget. The only thing about the Fiat is that overall I think it's very, very small. Has anyone had any experience with either of these cars and can help sway my opinion? I'm tempted to go for the Mini as they do seem to hold their value and I think if I was to sell it in a few years I would still get a couple of grand for it.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst the Mini is bigger than the Fiat on the outside, the opposite is true on the inside. The Fiat will be cheaper to run than the Mini plus as you said it will be much newer for your budget. Both cars hold their value quite well. The Mini is much more refined and a better drive than the Fiat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the Fiat 500 is easy to break into.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1839643 and also google searches...
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Your heart would buy the Fiat, your head would choose the Mini. No matter how cute and cool the Fiat looks, it's still a Fiat. A mate of mine has the top of the range Arbarth Esseesse, looks great, goes great, is great fun but the build quality is awful. After about a month the interior mirror fell off closely followed by the nearside front indicator lens..
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your heart would buy the Fiat, your head would choose the Mini. No matter how cute and cool the Fiat looks, it's still a Fiat. A mate of mine has the top of the range Arbarth Esseesse, looks great, goes great, is great fun but the build quality is awful. After about a month the interior mirror fell off closely followed by the nearside front indicator lens..

The build quality is not bad at all, not quite as good as the Mini but still fine, remember it's built in the same factory as the Ford Ka. After 65,000 miles and 6 years mine is still in almost perfect condition. It has more than its fair share of door dents though as it does not have a rubbing strip on the side, not many have this option.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    From what you've posted you may already have done something similar but I'd suggest making a list of what you want from a car e.g.

mpg?

storage space?

petrol/diesel?

Maintenance costs?

That sort of thing. Then see which best fits the bill.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's one make of car I would never buy again it's FIAT. FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow. Everyone I know who has ever owned a FIAT universally says they would never have one again.

I owned a Punto mark 1. Head gasket went after 22k. Then again after 25k. The third time it went after 29k I traded it in. The left speakers cut out if I used the rear wipe, the wiring loom was checked and radio replaced but it still happened. Water leaked in the courtesy light when it rained.

It was a shame as I loved the styling of that car at the time, very Italian and sleek, the ride felt good but it cost a packet to be repaired all the time and was the most unreliable car I have ever owned.

OH had a Punto mark 2 before I met her. By the time we met it had 27k on the clock and the head gasket went. 32k and it went again except this time the garage said she'd be better off with a new engine (at 32k miles!!!) - she scrapped it.

An old boss had a Fiat and his head gasket kept going, I remember him telling me he preferred to be at work really early in the morning and hated being on a duty roster as he would hit rush hour traffic on duty, it would slow down, his engine always overheated and he kept a bottle of water in the car which he'd replace at least twice a week. No visible leaks in the engine bay, assume was head gasket related. Colleague also had a partner who had a Fiat and a mark 1 Mini he was restoring, he routinely visited family weekly of a 200+ mile journey and said he used the mark 1 Mini every time over the Fiat for the problems he had with the Fiat.

Your thinking is a lot like mine when I got the Punto - style. I thought these days (admittedly over a dozen years ago now) there's no such thing as a lemon car but how wrong I was. That's why the 500 is cheaper than the Mini, people don't want unreliability so get rid of the cars as soon as they become problematic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this may sound silly, but have you made sure you can afford the insurance on either of those cars?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I used to have a Fiat 127 and everyone called it Rusty. The only Fiat I would consider is the Panda 4x4 as I drive in very poor conditions in winter. A mini is fashion over substance and expensive for what you get. I now have a Hyundai i10 and it is fine for doing 400 miles per week, incredibly easy to park and pretty good on fuel.
  • Options
    stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try a t-shirt for the 500 and see what you think;
  • Options
    scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go for the mini.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    In the last week I've had cause to use a 500L (the bigger version) and a 500 S 1.2. The big L was pretty good but not the sort of thing I'd buy, and the 500 left me distinctly underwhelmed, esp when I looked at how much they go for.

Can't help on the mini but any ideas I might have had about having a 500 as a spare fun car have been firmly knocked on the head. They may look cute - that's their main feature - but you can't see cute from the inside and what you're left with is a Ka in a shiny suit.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only problem with the Fiat is that overall I think it's a very, very small car. Anyone have any experience with either of these cars and can help sway my mind?

Have you ever been inside an original Fiat 500? They were like toys. (I was once a passenger in one with a very large lady driving.)

(I rented a modern '500 a couple of years ago, it seemed fine. But I didn't like the semi-automatic gearbox on the model I had, and the engine's habit of cutting out when stationary (to save fuel, it wasn't a fault). It took a second or so to fire up again, making a quick getaway trickier.)
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless the Fiat comes with a Scorpion on the badge, go for the Mini.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's one make of car I would never buy again it's FIAT. FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow. Everyone I know who has ever owned a FIAT universally says they would never have one again.

As somebody else mentioned, Fiat 500 is built at the same Ford factory where they build Ka, somewhere in Poland, along side the Panda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ka#Second_generation_.282009.E2.80.93present.29
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't buy either. You pay a serious mark-up for the cuteness factor. Those cars are style over substance when you consider the price. You can get similar and often better small cars for much cheaper. Someone earlier mentioned the i10, I'd also consider a Skoda Citigo or Kia Picanto.

But then, if the look is the most important thing for you, I'd go for the Fiat of the two but not a white one - never a white one!
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a no brainer - go for the Mini - made by BMW and worth a few bob in the future. Buy a Fiat and, as Cityslicker says, Fix It Again Tomorrow
  • Options
    catzooocatzooo Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Go for the mini. I bought a Mini Cooper 2 weeks ago and I love it. It cost 4500 from a dealer 2006 year and is purple. Lovely to drive, feels like a much bigger car. Surprisingly roomy in the front. Build quality feels great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But as already mentioned, Abarth or Cooper, get a solid insurance quote before buying.

Either of those two words on the badge could knock a big hole in your budget, depending on age and driving experience.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catzooo wrote: »
    Go for the mini. I bought a Mini Cooper 2 weeks ago and I love it. It cost 4500 from a dealer 2006 year and is purple. Lovely to drive, feels like a much bigger car. Surprisingly roomy in the front. Build quality feels great.

Hey. How much is your insurance? :) I've always wanted a Mini Cooper!
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Honest John:

500 (2008 - )
    Good: Funky looks and desirable image. Faithful to original. Easy and fun to drive.
    TwinAir engine from November 2010 emits just 95g/km. Better suspension from 2010.

Bad: Choppy ride and handling before 2010 suspension improvements.

MINI (2001
    Good: Great to sit in with retro dials and switchgear, good seats, straight-ahead seating position, adjustable steering column.
    Which? used best buy £5,000 - £10,000 2004.

Bad: A/c not standard. Extras to make it desirable can add thousands to the price. and heavily affect used values.
    Massive used MINI price confusion because the cost of extras could easily add £4,000 to the price of the car. Some cars have the right extras. Others don't.
    Check screen for cracks. Radiators of cars 3 years old or more can corrode.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    trphil wrote: »
    The build quality is not bad at all, not quite as good as the Mini but still fine, remember it's built in the same factory as the Ford Ka. After 65,000 miles and 6 years mine is still in almost perfect condition. It has more than its fair share of door dents though as it does not have a rubbing strip on the side, not many have this option.
    c4rv wrote: »
    As somebody else mentioned, Fiat 500 is built at the same Ford factory where they build Ka, somewhere in Poland, along side the Panda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ka#Second_generation_.282009.E2.80.93present.29

I wasn't aware of this. I wonder if the components used are of the same quality as the KA though?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the same dilemma last year - always wanted a mini, but liked the look and cost of the Fiat - I also arranged to test drive some Ford Ka's pretending to be sensible with the budget. I got a 10 year old cooper in the end, which I love and for her age is in such amazing condition. As another poster says, your head might say one thing and your heart will say mini - you'll only regret buying something different if you really want a mini :)
  • Options
    Lewis_GleesonLewis_Gleeson Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Be carefull of what mini you buy!!

There was a known issue with them that was on watchdog but mini didnt admit to it so no recall was put in place there for you have to pay out.

I think the fault made you loose all steering if i remember correctly, worth having a google about the problem and then if you go down the mini route you can check with the buyer if its had the fault fixed.