Options

Watchdog - May 2014

Comments

• Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are most of the people they take stories from seemingly well off?

That woman with the £1500 on Fifa doesn't look like £1500 would even be noticed, and she didn't notice for weeks.

They never seem to have many 'average' households on there.
  • Options
    LkjhLkjh Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Just the classic case of parents being too lazy to check these things and letting their kids have free reign.

Absolutely - didn't the parents look at their emails to see all the purchases?
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Why does Anne Robinson talk through gritted teeth? Her lips move but her teeth don't.

Too much botox in her jaw muscles. They no longer move! :D
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    westy89 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure on xbox you get asked to choose payment option aswell

Same with ps3 now you get option to pay by card/paypal or voucher, and the price is always shown before you confirm the sale.
    Imo EA/Soy or Microsoft are not at fault it's ignorant parents who are at fault for not doing propper checks.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Just the classic case of parents being too lazy to check these things and letting their kids have free reign.

exactly as usual in modern parenting abdication of responsibilty

ITS THE CHILDS FAULT
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    Safest way to avoid Xbox horrific charges is to use the points/xbox live pre-payment cards - especially when some have discounted prices on some sites...
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Matt Allwright ever actually get any prosecutions out of this? Or is it just an ego trip for him to chase these people out of the house?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why are most of the people they take stories from seemingly well off?

That woman with the £1500 on Fifa doesn't look like £1500 would even be noticed, and she didn't notice for weeks.

They never seem to have many 'average' households on there.

That's been standard BBC policy for years - Make-over programmes with Mr and Mrs middle class who have £3000 spare to spend on making over one very small room.

Never how to make over a room for someone on the dole with £5.50 to spend on it.

Same with all the cookery programmes with the cost of one meal being what some have to spend for a whole month!
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only buy DLC if I know I can afford it. But I certainly do NOT pay for in-game currency (ie FIFA points)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does Matt Allwright ever actually get any prosecutions out of this? Or is it just an ego trip for him to chase these people out of the house?

After spending a few grand of our money buying from crooks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    exactly as usual in modern parenting abdication of responsibilty

ITS THE CHILDS FAULT

It the one thing parents don't seem to know nowadays - they are FULLY responsible for their child up to 16 years of age. I even see that CBEEBIES is doing children's book reading for your child every night now. What happened to the parents doing that?
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who the hell advised Annie to have her hair cut like that? It's ridiculous at her age. She looks as if she wants to be 40 again (rolleyes)
  • Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's been standard BBC policy for years - Make-over programmes with Mr and Mrs middle class who have £3000 spare to spend on making over one very small room.

Never how to make over a room for someone on the dole with £5.50 to spend on it.

Same with all the cookery programmes with the cost of one meal being what some have to spend for a whole month!

Is it limited to the BBC?

I can't say I watch too many programmes outside of Music, Sport, News - Watchdog is one.

When I am flicking, it does appear cookery programmes are middle class people in general.

I would have hoped that Watchdog would be more about people with less money who are being conned.

It was good that tonight's crooks were people getting money out of elderley, though.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Who the hell advised Annie to have her hair cut like that? It's ridiculous at her age. She looks as if she wants to be 40 again (rolleyes)

Her hair?
  • Options
    SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    They mentioned they'll be featuring Pontins next week - wonder if they'll invite Mrs Downey on again :o
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Her hair?

:D:D:D
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member

most of ths is designed at women so its aspiration TV

same as the property shows

they dont show a middle terrace in stockport for £50K

no they show a 4 bed in surrey for £800K
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    hunter23 wrote: »
    matt needs to come up with a plan where the scammers are not close enough to their car. he only usually gets 5 seconds out of them before they drive off.
    Perhaps they should make the programme with the cooperation of the team from 'Parking Mad' & make sure the salesmen's cars are clamped when they're inside.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TV presenters have powers of prosecution?

You learn something new every day.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking it's ok to have parental controls on consoles or computers, but a lot of parents will probably have to ask the kids how to set them.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »

I'm sure most people over 40 would love to be 40 again :confused: and it makes her look really old. Bobs like that are the moniker for the over 60s but I think she is growing it, hope she grows it longer and more fashionable. Never understood women cutting hair short as thet get older, it usually looks awful. A 40 year old with that hair would be even worse :o Anyway, next week's show looks good.
  • Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as far as I am aware rogue traders is in association with trading standards and its them who front the money used to pay the crooks. trading standards dont have the resources for hidden cameras and other stuff so easier to get a third party like rogue traders to help them out, and yes there has been many prosecutions, they do updates on the last episode of the series but you also see stuff in local papers where the crooks operate and been caught
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    TV presenters have powers of prosecution?

You learn something new every day.

If he's got evidence of wrongdoing he can take it to the police. Don't be a dick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this rubbish still being broadcast in the same dumbed down format?
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he's got evidence of wrongdoing he can take it to the police. Don't be a dick.

Or the police could actually get off their arses and investigate/ prosecute the companies themselves. Radical thought, I know.

By the way, he ends each series with a round up of the people who've been fined or sent to jail as a result of the programme. But don't let that get in the way of your lazy ill- informed criticisms.