Options

Scots Who Are Supporting England : The Bona Fide , Officially Official Thread.

CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't be strange, troll in and divest yourself of your Scottish shoulder chip and get behind your British cousins coz, let's face reality, we are NEVER going qualify again.

Cmon Engurland.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Is that tumbleweed I can hear?
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seems like the only scotsman likely to get to a world cup is Lennon
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Lennon?
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    :confused:
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    seems like the only scotsman likely to get to a world cup is Lennon

There's a slight chance the Republic of Ireland will get to a World Cup. Aiden McGeady could play in that World Cup.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lennon?

He's a pundit on BBC
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a short thread.

ABE, eh?

Will andy murray watch?
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    He's a pundit on BBC

He's also Northern Irish
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Lennon's got the strongest Northern Irish accent this side of Jim McDonald.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most Scots I think are supporting England now. There's been a surge in support for the union, England and Scotland are after all Anglo-Saxon protestant brothers who have fought and died alongside each other in the same wars, I would be surprised if there wasn't any support.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Most Scots I think are supporting England now. There's been a surge in support for the union, England and Scotland are after all Anglo-Saxon protestant brothers who have fought and died alongside each other in the same wars, I would be surprised if there wasn't any support.

You haven't lived in the UK long have you ?

I suppose England will monopolise the UK and Northern Ireland National Anthem God Save Brenda ...........AGAIN.
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Most Scots I think are supporting England now.

No they aren't.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah unlucky to those Scots who have put their faith in uncle Woy of the Wovers ...
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of guys in my local last night were wearing England shirts. One girl had a 'come On England' tee shirt on.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I am Scottish and I support England. why wouldn't i?
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a short thread.

ABE, eh?

Will andy murray watch?

That shite again. You're boring.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    I am Scottish and I support England. why wouldn't i?

John Motson, Clive Tyldsely, Ian Wright, Wayne Rooney, Gary Neville, The Sun newspaper, ............

The list goes on but those are six obvious reasons for not supporting England which immediately spring to mind.

There are players in the England team who I respect and admire - mainly Steven Gerrard - but the attitude of much of the English media, several of whom I have mentioned above is what I find vomit-inducing and the reason I am very much an 'Anyone But England' fan.
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *raises hand*

To be fair though, I have spent most of my life living in the SE of England and all my friends are English :D
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    I still get confused why some people look at a country's media as a reason to dislike a sporting team. I see it in the cricket thread sometimes too with certain forum members feeling "England deserve to lose because of "###" said by the media", etc.

It doesn't make sense. It's never even occurred to me to consider thinking of another country's media as a factor in how I perceive their team.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    No they aren't.

Do you even support Scotland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you even support Scotland?

In what way is that of any relevance to the post I was responding to?

Most Scots are not supporting England in the World Cup, that is a fact.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    In what way is that of any relevance to the post I was responding to?

Most Scots are not supporting England in the World Cup, that is a fact.

So that's a no then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that's a no then.

Who I support or don't support in international football is of no relevance to this thread.

This thread is about Scottish people supporting England. Thomas007 said he thought most Scots were supporting England and I corrected his erroneous opinion.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    I still get confused why some people look at a country's media as a reason to dislike a sporting team. I see it in the cricket thread sometimes too with certain forum members feeling "England deserve to lose because of "###" said by the media", etc.

It doesn't make sense. It's never even occurred to me to consider thinking of another country's media as a factor in how I perceive their team.

We live in a somewhat rare (unique?) situation whereby most of England's media is also the media which Scotland - and Wales and Northern Ireland - receive as part of the United Kingdom. That is one of the problems of the current political setup but that's a debate for elsewhere. This isn't a factor in other countries, for example the Belgians probably aren't aware/bothered about the Dutch media as it isn't the same media as their own. I hope that makes sense.

The English broadcasters are broadcasting to the entire United Kingdom and for that reason they should be providing more of an unbiased coverage of sporting events.

I find the conduct of the specific people I mentioned in my previous post so deplorable that I very much want to see their country lose. It's schadenfreude I guess but not in a nasty way, I don't think wanting to see someone get what they deserve is a nasty kind of schadenfreude, we all want that surely?

Also, most sporting teams' supporters hate their nearest local rivals and want to see them lose, I don't see why that should offend England fans so much.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »

The English broadcasters are broadcasting to the entire United Kingdom and for that reason they should be providing more of an unbiased coverage of sporting events.
    But I'm not sure how they can do that. They're obviously going to be broadcasting in a positive light towards England, just like any other country's broadcasters. They're a home nation.

In the same way they would be broadcasting in a positive light towards Wales or Scotland if they had made it to the finals.

I just can't get my head round the media being used as a reason to dislike a completely separate group of individuals. Especially when that group of individuals themselves probably dislike the media just as much. It's ultimately nonsensical, as far as I can see.