Is anyone else dissapointed by today's technology?

Comments

• scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no not really what i'm disappointed in is the constant relying on modern tech and that so many people live their lives through mobile phones, FB, twitter...that the modern tech has become so socially integrated into their lives when all they seem to do is post pictures of their kids, what they are eating or just pointless statements, when in reality no one actually cares.. its now a norm...
    advances in tech are great but I do think it dulls down a lot of people.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    scruffpot wrote: »

I don't think it really changes people - a lot of people would be like that anyway - they can just broadcast it more now then they used to be able to!
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    BIB I don't see why not?
    Each bit of hardware should send a code to the OS, and the OS could look that up on an online database to see what it needed to work with it.

The problem is that it requires both the manufacturer and MS to work on it which does happen with the WHQL stuff but it takes time to do the required testing so it wouldn't be something that would probably appear for hardware under 6 months to a year of age and the cheap Chinese producers of tatty webcams etc will never be bothered to stump up the cash so at best it'll probably have 1/3rd of the possible list
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Having never been rich enough to use concorde, 7 hours is absolutely fine with me... better than spending weeks on a boat to do the same journey 70+ years ago :D

New technology? ........bring it on! as far as I’m concerned.

Ryan Air is on the verge of rolling-out this amazing new technology; it will cut journey times dramatically.

Baggage allowances will be unaffected.

It’s air-travel, but not as we know it.

http://startreklives.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/8-1701-transporter.jpg
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3D tv has flopped. Only a few years ago that was going to be the new future for home entertainment. I'd say that is a recent disappointment. And no matter how fast and powerful mobile phones are, the idea of watching tv/music videos/films/smiling Youtube cat videos on a tiny screen doesn't sound that appealing.

Hard to imagine major advances in tech. Perhaps hologram tv could be the next thing. But it depends on the cost and the content, I guess.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    and here's me overclocking my cpu's to get more performance - when what I need is 0.0GHz. Seriously though, the mobo clock synchronises data transfer - no clock, no processing.

Anyhow, the limit is not the tech - it's the people using it (at both ends of the process). Give someone an i7 laptop and they'll still watch dancing cat video's. Crank up the power of the phone and they'll just take endless pics of their own face. If everyone had curved 4K OLED TVs, the channels would still be chock full of repeats, X Factor, Kardashians etc.

Intel inside, idiot outside ...

I didn't actually say this is what needed to happen, bur just wondered how fast a processor would be without a clock speed in it. I was basically just wondering how well a processor would perform if they changed the technology. I'm probably wrong, but was just curious if a clock cycle was needed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is generally accepted that battery technology really has not advanced at a proportional rate to other technology. The capacity of batteries we have in modern phones is far greater than the batteries in phones of a few years ago. My Nokia N95 (State of the art at the time) had a 900mah battery whereas my Note 3 now has a 3200 mah battery!
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Old phones simply did less and had mono screens or simple small coloured screens. But having said that you could often buy bigger batteries that came with a new back cover, yes it bulked the phone out more but you'd get double the use.

These days a portable power pack is the only realistic option.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was going to do a thread about how I thought Tablets and Usb memory sticks were the future now.

When I used to watch the Original Star Trek and see things like tablets and isolinear chips, I didn't think we'd end up with the tablets and memory sticks we have now. But they are as close as we can get and it is great being able to put so many films on to something so small especially compared to video tapes.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    3D tv has flopped. Only a few years ago that was going to be the new future for home entertainment. I'd say that is a recent disappointment. And no matter how fast and powerful mobile phones are, the idea of watching tv/music videos/films/smiling Youtube cat videos on a tiny screen doesn't sound that appealing.

Hard to imagine major advances in tech. Perhaps hologram tv could be the next thing. But it depends on the cost and the content, I guess.

3D has always been a bit of a gimmick, most people. Just don't care. But bigger hi def screens are what people want.

What is disappointing today is the crappy sound a lot of TV's give out
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    modern technology

better health and medicine, longer life spans

instant communication and free access to virtually everything you could imagine
    vast entertainment stores at our fingertips
    inexpensive high definition colour TVs
    numerous tv and radio channels available

better transport, more reliable cars, air travel

what do you think is wrong with modern technology?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...What is disappointing today is the crappy sound a lot of TV's give out

... mainly driven by the market wanting thinner/smaller/lighter, but still huge screen, TVs... this then has to equal smaller speakers with little to no bottom end.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By this year, I thought it would be better to be honest.

Mobile phones still need charged each day, you'd have though someone would have invented a much longer battery.

Things are still quite big/thick/noisy, laptops are definitely getting thinner, but most still have fans too (noise).

I thought SSDs would have ruled now, but HDDs are still around.

Computer startups are not instant yet.

Internet speeds are getting better but still not amazing

Mobile phone batteries - there are a number of new phones that can go 2 or 3 days on a single charge with moderate use. If you use them heavily, they will use the juice. We have invented larger batteries but you don't want your phone to be the size of a brick or weigh half a kilo.

SSDs pretty much do rule except in low end cheap throw away machines. But we as consumers have an appetite for cheap goods.

Computer starting up - define computer. A tablet could be classed as a computer. Some ultra books boot up in less than 10 seconds from cold. Not the end of the world. Mostly it's because of windows bloatedness though.

Internet speeds seem to be doing alright to me, but I'm guessing you want to stream 4k ? :D
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched Back To The Future 2 the other day and they really got 2014 wrong. Where's my hoverboard!!! :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mobile phone batteries - there are a number of new phones that can go 2 or 3 days on a single charge with moderate use. If you use them heavily, they will use the juice. We have invented larger batteries but you don't want your phone to be the size of a brick or weigh half a kilo.

SSDs pretty much do rule except in low end cheap throw away machines. But we as consumers have an appetite for cheap goods.

Computer starting up - define computer. A tablet could be classed as a computer. Some ultra books boot up in less than 10 seconds from cold. Not the end of the world. Mostly it's because of windows bloatedness though.

Internet speeds seem to be doing alright to me, but I'm guessing you want to stream 4k ? :D

I've yet to see true 4K quality video on YouTube. Every single '4K' video that I've seen looks just as good as the Blu-Ray film that I've got, and I don't even think that the Blu-Ray film I have is great quality either, but just standard Blu-Ray quality.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no not really what i'm disappointed in is the constant relying on modern tech and that so many people live their lives through mobile phones, FB, twitter...that the modern tech has become so socially integrated into their lives when all they seem to do is post pictures of their kids, what they are eating or just pointless statements, when in reality no one actually cares.. its now a norm...

I'm waiting for someone to post, probably with a thread name such as "Weird wheel on my car". "Just gone out to car, one wheel is flat at the bottom, what's going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".
  • Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    New technology? ........bring it on! as far as I’m concerned.

Ryan Air is on the verge of rolling-out this amazing new technology; it will cut journey times dramatically.

Baggage allowances will be unaffected.

It’s air-travel, but not as we know it.

http://startreklives.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/8-1701-transporter.jpg

Didn't they try teleportation in "The Fly"? And look what happened there... :o
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Watched Back To The Future 2 the other day and they really got 2014 wrong. Where's my hoverboard!!! :D

That's because they jump forward to 2015 in BttF 2...
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It was the era of supersonic air travel via Concorde, travelling at just over twice the speed of sound.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/about-ba/history-and-heritage/celebrating-concorde

Oh yeah, I forgot about Concorde, but to be honest how many people could afford to fly in Concorde anyway? there will never be a nother one of those I don't think, well not for years. Heavy on fuel and too few passengers.

It is all about cramming in as many as they can on one flight now and have more fatalities if the plane crash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    BIB I don't see why not?
    Each bit of hardware should send a code to the OS, and the OS could look that up on an online database to see what it needed to work with it.

It would be nice, but it will not happen, i think money would come into it, no doubt the said Database would be run by Microsoft, if it was for windows and no doubt they would charge to run it.
    I had blue screen crashes with Windows 8 when I first installed it.
    Can't remember exactly why, and I don't get them now on that computer, so must have sorted it out.

I had a BSOD on windows 8 last week, that was because I mucked around with over clocking and it was not happy with it :)
    But the fact remains that when something goes wrong, the computer user still needs to have a fair amount of knowledge in order to put it right, or have someone they can call up.
    They can't rely on the computer to sort itself out.
    (obviously not applicable to gross hardware errors that prevent the computer working)

computer is a different thing to your Tv, tablet, camera or any other product. i don't know how long you been using computers, but I tell you know using them now is a different kettle of fish than when I first started to use windows based computers. windows 95 was a pain in the neck. I came from the Amiga to Windows and i thought a lot of times, why on earth did I do that.

While I am not a great fan of Microsoft, windows 7 and even windows 8 is a far cry from 95,98 and Me and knocks Xp for dead as well
    the only problem I have with windows 8 is the UI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is why now and again I go with a friend to a nice log cabin for a couple of days away from any tech.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Concorde, but to be honest how many people could afford to fly in Concorde anyway? there will never be a nother one of those I don't think, well not for years. Heavy on fuel and too few passengers.

It is all about cramming in as many as they can on one flight now and have more fatalities if the plane crash.

That's how technology is - you start with it being expensive and not quite right and then work on it to improve it.

Like a computer - the first ones who could afford those? And they were huge and slow.
  • mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres another angle to this mobile battery only lasting a day.

10 years ago your laptop battery lasted 2 hours, now your phone is 1000x more powerful and much smaller and lighter and last an entire day. Some like mine last 2.

Edit: Nice to see the concorde has popped up here. It must be one of the things i'm most proudest of of my dad, being a draughtsman on it :D.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was only able to afford my first proper PC 18 years ago (1996), although I had had a Commodore 64 as a teenager £200ish.

I bought a Packard Bell desktop similar to this and I think I paid £1300 for it (a lesser version was available for £1100).

I could only 'afford' it because I had a good job at the time. But I still bought it on finance. I had a lot of outgoings with my new house and young family.