The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Come on, Simona!!
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant to put a comma after "****". Apologies for the grammar.

Lovely :)
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Simona for me, hope she wins the whole thing.

I'm liking her so far. (I don't think I've ever seen her play before. I lost most of my interest in women's tennis when there seemed to be a dreary inevitability about the same ones winning.)
    Yes, everything about her is just great. Bouchard seems to have one foot in showbiz already, which I don't like at all. Halep is just a good professional athlete who wants to play tennis as well as she can. I find that really refreshing.
    JB92 wrote: »
    Well done to Petra earlier. It's a bit of a Bouchard love in on the BBC atm. Hopefully Simona can pull through.
    daziechain wrote: »
    Wish John would stop saying Genie and then Halep. Either call them both by their surnames or first names ... it's disrespectful.
    He gushes too much over Eugenie.

I am finding the Bouchard-favouring commentary and reactions quite off-putting.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    Aah, she seems very sweet. Perhaps too sweet for the upper level of tennis. And Maria surprisingly has a pronounced behind in proportion to the rest of her body. tNoticed it before but even more noticeable in that skirt.

TBH, Maria under her new coach/fitness people has definitely bulked around her core. Much less skinny than she was, more ballast in the middle of the body, upper leg muscles, helps power in the shots, and balance. I've noticed other women doing this too.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good hold for Halep to get there. Hopefully that helps her regain full confidence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being the media-darling is such a lame reason to dislike a person, even if they play up to it, it's very much don't hate the player, hate the game. I'm not aware of many people turning down lots of sponsorship deals.

I'm not a fan of Genie because of her immaturity, but it's not her fault if Mac is perving over her.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not looking fully comfortable moving around but Halep really is a fighter.
    Forum Member
    Oh **** off keep showing us the crawlers in the royal box :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea who thes people are (bar Colin Firth)
  • Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd stop telling us who is in the royal box, almost like GMTV at times. Surprising it's not Castle for once though as that's not him commentating

more interested in the tennis on show, not somebody who has been invited for free
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    I have no idea who thes people are (bar Colin Firth)

Professional gossip Bradnam knows all the non-entities.
    Forum Member
    Being the media-darling is such a lame reason to dislike a person, even if they play up to it, it's very much don't hate the player, hate the game. I'm not aware of many people turning down lots of sponsorship deals.

I'm not a fan of Genie because of her immaturity, but it's not her fault if Mac is perving over her.

I like Bouchard's tennis but I don't like her. Not because she's a 'media darling' but because I've seen her being interviewed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having to fight to hold again.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I like Bouchard's tennis but I don't like her. Not because she's a 'media darling' but because I've seen her being interviewed.

Which interview? She seems fine in interviews to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0HYYFOjJ4Q
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genie in the ascendency here.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simonas movement affected by that trip.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Which interview? She seems fine in interviews to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0HYYFOjJ4Q
    Yeah I'd be interested to see some examples of interviews where she comes across badly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Genie getting a lot of coaching from her box.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I bet he/she meant save us from her, Halep... not save us from Halep.

That's how I read it, though I think it's unfair to call Eugenie a media ****.

Agreed. It's typical of the nonsensical comments that get posted in here throughout Wimbledon.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Lovely :)
    :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great point.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Injured but giving her all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent rally. Bouchard is a more tenacious retriever than I expected. Breaker is crucial and I agree with Mac that Halep needs it more.
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I hearing things or is Simona actually being praised? :o
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I wish Eugenie would play some safer shots! Aiming for the back and edges of the court is all well and good if you can consistently hit them, but she misses more often than not when she plays that type of shot.
This discussion has been closed.