Options

Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel First Impressions [Spoilers in tags]

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Which begs the question, why do you rate them against each other rather than on their own merit?

I don't particularly, I was just saying that I didn't think it was quite as good as Fool for Love. But the flashback scenes were all pretty good, it's more the frame story that didn't hold my attention as much, and even that was still decent. I do think it was a good episode, just not as good as some of the others I've seen. But it was still waaay better than the extreme meh or just plain BAD episodes we do get sometimes
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janus_Mars wrote: »
    I don't particularly, I was just saying that I didn't think it was quite as good as Fool for Love.

Lol, ok, if you say so (but you just did it again) :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Lol, ok, if you say so (but you just did it again) :p

Just cos I watched them at the same time and they were aired at the same time really, most of the episode I was just comparing with other Angels etc...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fool for Love

- Although the conversation between Buffy and Giles didn't touch on these points it certainly got me thinking about them:

1. How did the Slayer come into existence? Was it nature/religion's way of reacting to the Vampire threat? Buffy just mentioned how she could heal a lot quicker than everyone else so I wonder if it was something bestowed upon the Earth by the Powers that Be?

2. Buffy probably won't live to a very old age. They might have mentioned this briefly in Prophecy Girl - I can't remember - but there will come a time when Buffy is bested and she won't be as athletic as she used to be.

3. My final point for now is somewhat random - does the idea of the Slayer remind anyone else of the Avatar from Avatar: The Legend of Aang/ The Legend of Korra? It makes me think of these particular shows in the sense that it's an incredible power which could be gifted to 'anyone' in the world.

- I didn't think we'd ever get an episode concerning Spike's encounter with previous Slayers but it seems so obvious thinking about it. I mean it's such an important part of his character's journey and plus I don't think anyone else has ever done that before? The whole idea was practically crying out for a flashback episode! How it took to Season 5 to show it is what I want to know! :)

- I'm a little confused - could anyone help? If Spike can eat food like Buffalo Wings then why on Earth does he even need to drink blood? Or is blood just something that sustains him from day to day in addition to being a substance that he rather enjoys?

- So that's why they used to call Spike William the Bloody? Was I alone in thinking he used to be some kind of violent marauder? :p And what the Hell's wrong with the word effulgent? I love that word 'more than anything else' although admittedly it doesn't sound very romantic when used in that context.

- 'I'd rather have a rail-road spike through my head than listen to that awful stuff.' Even though I found that line a wee bit forced in retrospect, I still did laugh at what it suggested.

- Whilst I do feel really bad for Spike, I think it might have been more beneficial had we seen Cecily before? Then again that short scene did tell us all we really needed to know. And, whilst I've never told anyone that I loved them before, that situation did feel strangely familiar. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Spike was hurt.

- I actually feel happy for Spike that Drusilla said the word effulgent. James Marsters is also putting in a really good performance this ep. Since William the Bloody is so different from Spike, I'm now really curious as to what triggers the change (or will that just be an instantaneous thing?)

- 'The King of Cups expects a Picnic! But this is not his Birthday.' I know Drusilla at this point is not the sharpest stake in the box but still I have to ask what? What? What? :confused:

- 'Tell my Mother I'm sorry.' - 'I'm sorry, love. I don't speak Chinese.' :D:D:D

- It's really interesting seeing where this episode and Angel intersect. I had a feeling that Janus_Mars and anyone else who hasn't seen the Darla ep would be surprised by Angel's allegiance at this point so it was nice to see that my thoughts were correct. ;-)

- Is there a particular reason Riley took it upon himself to blow the Vampires up? I don't suppose that he was trying to prove himself to Buffy?

- After seeing the fight scene in 1970's New York I absolutely want to see more Slayers from throughout the ages. And so that's where Spike got his jacket from! For some reason though I'm not sure I believe that was always the intention from the start. I imagine it was something that they just dreamed up for the ep.

- I also found it really interesting when Spike was goading Buffy about her hidden urges. It seemed very reminiscent of the story of Faith since we all know Faith is what would eventually happen to Buffy if she didn't have the Scoobies behind her. (P.S. I can also see the story of Faith being used as a Bogeyman story for Future Slayers.)

- Hurrah! This episode has succeeded in changing my mind about the relationship of Spike and Buffy. It actually feels perfectly natural looking back that Spike would be attracted to what he views as the Ultimate Challenge. And you know what else? I actually felt genuine sympathy when Spike was reminded of the past and slowly started to sob in the alley. Again, it did feel a teeny bit forced that Buffy would say that though.

- I just had though the most awful thought - what if Spike accidentally shoots Joyce with the gun? Then again maybe not. It wouldn't just kill Joyce but also any hope of romance with her daughter.

- There was something darkly humorous about that ending scene and I'm really starting to warm to the idea of Spike and Buffy. Dare I say I want them to hook up and that's a ship which I'm willing to board :o I think the main thing that's been bugging me though is how he's going to interact with the rest of the cast on a regular basis without his character being significantly compromised but then again look at Anya. She does just fine as part of the Scooby Gang even though what she did in Dopplegandland was way out of line. I also really liked Spike and Drusilla's scene at the end. :kitty:

- To conclude, that was an effulgent episode and one which I really, really enjoyed. Although it was a lot more subdued than I was expecting, it was probably the highlight of the season so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Valourant wrote: »
    Fool for Love

I actually so like this episode. For me it was absolutely the best episode of season 5 (apart from the finale) and actually, probably better than most of season 4. Like Lover's Walk, another fave of mine, I think it does a good job of humanising Spike, as well as actually making us believe his new obsession with Buffy, while also recognising that he's at his best as a funny, but out of control, badass punk demon....

1. How did the Slayer come into existence?

This is actually addressed later on in the show, though of course we've actually already met the First Slayer...
    - It's really interesting seeing where this episode and Angel intersect. I had a feeling that Janus_Mars and anyone else who hasn't seen the Darla ep would be surprised by Angel's allegiance at this point so it was nice to see that my thoughts were correct. ;-)

I never really remembered the various dates where everything was supposed to happen to Angel, ao on first viewing I simply assumed the Angel we saw in this ep was plain old Angelus. I also think that this episode does still work better if you watch if before Darla rather than after, this way you're kinda wondering how much Spike knows etc...

One thing that does confuse me about this episode, as good as it is, is that I'm sure I remember Spike calling Angel his sire in his very 1st ep, way back in season 2... Did that not happen or what this a continuity error, as obviously it's Dru here.
    - Is there a particular reason Riley took it upon himself to blow the Vampires up? I don't suppose that he was trying to prove himself to Buffy?

I think it's made fairly clear that this was just more macho, insecure BS from Riley, though who knows, maybe it was just a guy in love looking for revenge...
    - After seeing the fight scene in 1970's New York I absolutely want to see more Slayers from throughout the ages. And so that's where Spike got his jacket from! For some reason though I'm not sure I believe that was always the intention from the start. I imagine it was something that they just dreamed up for the ep.

- I also found it really interesting when Spike was goading Buffy about her hidden urges.

As well as finding out how it all started, we do actually see more of the slayers as the series goes on, though obviously these appearances are few and far between, as, in the words of Giles, most of them are rather dead...

But yeah, I really do love that whole scene with the subway, one of my favourites of the whole series. Don't really know why, just liked the whole intercutting between all that savagery from Spike, and all his deep revelations about the role of the Slayer... A load of foreshadowing about stuff to come, as well as real badass Spike, live we've not seen since his early days. In fact, I really like the Billy Idol look he was rocking in the 70's
    though of course, it was Billy Idol who stole his look:D
    , it is very cool, and though I remain a 100% straight male, there is something rather magnetic about him looking like that, I guess he comes off as really savage here for some reason, like, this is the Spike I can really imagine driving railroad spikes through peoples heads. Real punk...
    - Hurrah! This episode has succeeded in changing my mind about the relationship of Spike and Buffy. It actually feels perfectly natural looking back that Spike would be attracted to what he views as the Ultimate Challenge. And you know what else? I actually felt genuine sympathy when Spike was reminded of the past and slowly started to sob in the alley. Again, it did feel a teeny bit forced that Buffy would say that though.

- There was something darkly humorous about that ending scene and I'm really starting to warm to the idea of Spike and Buffy. Dare I say I want them to hook up and that's a ship which I'm willing to board :o I think the main thing that's been bugging me though is how he's going to interact with the rest of the cast on a regular basis without his character being significantly compromised but then again look at Anya.

Told ya :)

Yeah, it's here where I was actually able to really buy his feelings towards, you get the sense that he was almost close to feeling the same sort of passion towards the previous 2 slayers, especially 70's chick, plus it's a helpful reminder that it will never really be lovey dovey romance, it's much more of an animalistic, hunters obsession.. You do really feel for Spike though, and I think it's from here on where you can really feel for him as you do all the other scoobies as well, rather than just seeing him as a comic sidekick...

Poor Spikey :(

I also really liked Spike and Drusilla's scene at the end. :kitty:

"I didn't know she was seeing anybody..." :D

- To conclude, that was an effulgent episode and one which I really, really enjoyed. Although it was a lot more subdued than I was expecting, it was probably the highlight of the season so far.

A great great episode in my OP, probably one of the best since the last real "Spike episode," Lover's Walk... Really enjoyed it on first viewing, and while not as good on rewatch, still one of the best of Buffy, and the one that actually made me like Spike for reasons other than him just being cool+funny. Go Spuffy (eurgh, can I actually say, that's an awful word, I've never liked character combo name things like that, if I ever say it again, please, someone, shoot me)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's made fairly clear that this was just more macho, insecure BS from Riley

Oh absolutely. It just seemed way too over the top. :D

I have been trying to contemplate Riley's feelings at present and the more and more I think about it the more and more they kind of make sense. I mean, back in Season 4 before he asked her out, he did seem somewhat nervous about it - like what if she maybe turned him down? I guess he just never got over Angel as well. So whilst I do think he is kind of overreacting his feelings do seem to have been bubbling away for quite a while...
    Poor Spikey :(

You sound just like Harmony XD XD.

But yeah, Fool for Love was a really great ep. No doubt though that when Harmony finds out her blondie bear's feelings for the Slayer she'll be gunning for Buffy as well. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh absolutely. It just seemed way too over the top. :D

I have been trying to contemplate Riley's feelings at present and the more and more I think about it the more and more they kind of make sense. I mean, back in Season 4 before he asked her out, he did seem somewhat nervous about it - like what if she maybe turned him down? I guess he just never got over Angel as well. So whilst I do think he is kind of overreacting his feelings do seem to have been bubbling away for quite a while...

I can see why he might have been in a position to start feeling this stuff, but he seems much more insecure in season 5 than in season 4, for no real reason other than just being slightly less strong. I can also understand why he might think Buffy wont like him as much since that, but the fact that she's acting the same as she ever has, the fact that she's not gone off boinking Spike or some other super powered person, and the fact that they almost didn't get together in the first place cos Buffy wanted a normal boyfriend, would all convince him he's being stupid.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see why he might have been in a position to start feeling this stuff, but he seems much more insecure in season 5 than in season 4, for no real reason other than just being slightly less strong. I can also understand why he might think Buffy wont like him as much since that, but the fact that she's acting the same as she ever has, the fact that she's not gone off boinking Spike or some other super powered person, and the fact that they almost didn't get together in the first place cos Buffy wanted a normal boyfriend, would all convince him he's being stupid.

The strength thing is an obvious issue for him, but I think his insecurity is worse in S5 because he really doesn't have a purpose in his life anymore. In S4, yeah he was with Buffy, but that was in the Initiative days, where the Initiative (and Riley) was her main focus. Ever since that ended, Dawn's arrival and Buffy's desire to explore/learn about her Slayer heritage has become her focus so Riley's been reduced to "the mission's boyfriend" and he's no good in that role. He still wants to be at the centre of Buffy's world (like she still is in his) but he isn't and never truly can be. Riley desperately wants to be needed and he just isn't ("So you need me to light incense and pour sand?"). I understand his feelings/issues, it just annoys me that he chooses to act out rather than actually say anything. His handling of the situation is just extremely immature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    The strength thing is an obvious issue for him, but I think his insecurity is worse in S5 because he really doesn't have a purpose in his life anymore. In S4, yeah he was with Buffy, but that was in the Initiative days, where the Initiative (and Riley) was her main focus. Ever since that ended, Dawn's arrival and Buffy's desire to explore/learn about her Slayer heritage has become her focus so Riley's been reduced to "the mission's boyfriend" and he's no good in that role. He still wants to be at the centre of Buffy's world (like she still is in his) but he isn't and never truly can be. Riley desperately wants to be needed and he just isn't ("So you need me to light incense and pour sand?"). I understand his feelings/issues, it just annoys me that he chooses to act out rather than actually say anything. His handling of the situation is just extremely immature.

Having now seen 'Shadow' I completely agree. Although I think that Buffy might be offended should he try to speak out I think it would do much less harm to their relationship than being promiscuous. That being said, I was impressed he didn't go all the way with the Vampire lady and like you said I can understand his feelings especially with Spike giving him grief. Ultimately though I still think he's being immature as you say because Buffy's spending more time with her dying Mum as opposed to another Guy. All this is making me wonder if we're going to get an only child back story at some point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having now seen 'Shadow' I completely agree. Although I think that Buffy might be offended should he try to speak out I think it would do much less harm to their relationship than being promiscuous. That being said, I was impressed he didn't go all the way with the Vampire lady and like you said I can understand his feelings especially with Spike giving him grief. Ultimately though I still think he's being immature as you say because Buffy's spending more time with her dying Mum as opposed to another Guy. All this is making me wonder if we're going to get an only child back story at some point?

BIB - the fact that Spike got to know about Joyce's condition before Riley did is an instance where I'd say Buffy fuelled his insecurities and why I don't think she's 100% blameless in the whole situation. Granted, she's got a lot on her mind with her mum but having Spike, of all people, be in the know and not Riley...well, I can fully understand why he'd be unnerved about the relationship after that. Plus her general attitude to Riley isn't very encouraging. Spike's got that nasty habit of seeing the bigger picture and dripping just enough poison to cause problems; it's like The Yoko Factor all over again! It's just kind of sad to see Riley fall into the trap and go out to deliberately try and get into the whole 'dark streak' thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spike's got that nasty habit of seeing the bigger picture and dripping just enough poison to cause problems; it's like The Yoko Factor all over again!

And so do you! As with this post, you always alert me to something I've missed. Fortunately though it's a welcome habit, and as it goes you're very nice. :)

I'll probably put the review for Shadow up a little bit later - either that, or early tomorrow. I do think it's sad what's probably going to happen to Riley but at the same time it's incredibly frustrating too. After seeing the end of that particular ep, I can't really blame him for feeling shut out because, as we saw, he quite literally was. I think the lesson we can take away from all of this rather obviously is that Riley and Buffy need to communicate better. I have a very bad feeling that Riley will betray her however just as Joyce slips away...

The Shroud of Rahmon

- Maybe it's just because I'm watching this episode with someone else in the room and I'm trying my best to consider their reaction but that opening scene seemed really confusing. What the Hell has Angel done? Surely our Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire hasn't gone and killed Kate?!!

- I do like though that Wesley's still seeing his girlfriend from a few episodes prior.

- I also liked that I successfully guessed the identity of Mr Fat Chow-Chow.' :kitty:

- To be honest, I don't which scene I liked better. The bit where Angel seemed excited at the presence of Chow Yun-fat or the scene where he first encounters the 'infamous' Jay Don. Either way, an excited David Boreanaz made my day. That Angel - ever since the 'Middle Ages' he's been putting fan girls to shame.

- I'm on the fence about this episode so far. As usual, David Boreanaz's acting is really superb but I'm not really not investing in the story that much. I mean, why doesn't Angel just kill 'everyone else' on the team? It seems somewhat redundant to break into the museum first.

- I did LOVE Cordelia's point about how virgin women always have to be used in a sacrifice though. And The Shroud of Rahmon sounds really great. Perhaps this will be the episode where all hell breaks loose and fully fledged paranoia ensues?

- 'Don't you know anything else, like say MacArthur Park?' Yup. That's Angel's next song at the Karaoke Bar sorted. Seriously though, I wish they'd given this episode more chance to breathe. I'm really enjoying how slow burning the takeover is and the claustrophobic setting works wonders as well but looking at the clock on the Blu-Ray Player... there's not long now until the episode ends. I also want to see how the shroud affects 'everyone else.' Perhaps it could leak into the outside world? I know paranoia is best kept contained but the potential calamities sound incredibly cool.

- Oh My God Kate!! Please don't be dead, please don't be dead. And was that Angelus who attacked her or was it just supposed to be regular Angel instead?!

- How on Earth can Ugly be considered a human? Also, how did Angel regain control of himself?

- Ah so was Angel faking all along?! That makes some kind of sense I suppose but I'll have to re-watch to see if there's some kind of ulterior motive. I also imagine in retrospect the reason Angel broke into that place was to try and destroy the shroud of Rahmon like he ultimately did at the end?

- I'm really relieved that Kate survived. Not only because I like the character but also because I still feel like her storyline has a long way to go. Hopefully though this episode will serve as a turning point in her attitude towards Angel. Can you believe that it's almost been a season now since they first fell out? Who knows where all the time goes?

- To conclude, I have mixed feelings about The Shroud of Rahmon. Although on the one hand I did find it really engrossing a part of me felt like it alienated the audience since it was sometimes unclear to me how far gone the characters were in terms of being crazy. Like I mentioned a little way above, I think it would have been much more beneficial had we seen the effects of it more. I guess I just really like episodes were people end up paranoid I suppose. I also don't like the inconsistency involving the Darla plot. One episode she's there and the next one she's gone. I don't usually dub episodes with the title of filler since I feel like each one contributes to the overarching story somewhat and, whilst this episode might prove to be important for both Angel and Kate, I found it somewhat frustrating that it came right at the point when the Darla storyline was really starting to heat up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Double posting but I've now watched up to and including the Angel episode Reunion. Have you seen that one yet Janus_Mars? Holy s**t it was incredible! I think it's like the Passion episode of Angel and the best one of the show so far!!

Deep breaths, deep breaths...

I'll have Shadow and The Trial up tomorrow and maybe Buffy episode 9 and Reunion up the day after that. :)

Still can't believe Reunion though! :o:o Angel Season 2 is getting so f**king good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Double posting but I've now watched up to and including the Angel episode Reunion. Have you seen that one yet Janus_Mars? Holy s**t it was incredible! I think it's like the Passion episode of Angel and the best one of the show so far!!

Only just seen the shroud of whatsit, but now you've got me all psyched up... It is a pretty good episode, and, although I'd say that the high points of Buffy are far superior to anything in Angel, from what I've seen of Angel so far, I'd say it's more consistently good.

Thought shroud of Rahmon was pretty good, especially the scenes where Angel was pretending to be all Angelus-esque... All pretty funny, even had a repeat of the "we should split up joke" from Cabin in the Woods.

Agree the plot was a bit meh, and was actually quite disappointed Kate didn't die, as that felt like it would have major ramifications, but perhaps it is a good thing, as it would only distract from the main plot with Darla even more, and would probably just be forgotten in the end anyway... plus, if Reunion's as amazing as you say, well then, we'll some awesomeness of the shocking kind anyways
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only just seen the shroud of whatsit, but now you've got me all psyched up... It is a pretty good episode, and, although I'd say that the high points of Buffy are far superior to anything in Angel, from what I've seen of Angel so far, I'd say it's more consistently good.

Thought shroud of Rahmon was pretty good, especially the scenes where Angel was pretending to be all Angelus-esque... All pretty funny, even had a repeat of the "we should split up joke" from Cabin in the Woods.

Agree the plot was a bit meh, and was actually quite disappointed Kate didn't die, as that felt like it would have major ramifications, but perhaps it is a good thing, as it would only distract from the main plot with Darla even more, and would probably just be forgotten in the end anyway... plus, if Reunion's as amazing as you say, well then, we'll some awesomeness of the shocking kind anyways

Although I think it might have been interesting had Kate died at this point, I think it would been more of a cop-out for the show literally (how I do love my terrible puns. :p). This is because all she's done this last season and a half is be aggressive towards Angel and keep her distance as well and so if she'd died there and then there wouldn't have really been any resolution to that.

As for Reunions (BTW the ending to The Trial is really surprising as well even if the episode itself is a little generic) I think the thing that impressed the most is how it just doesn't let up from the word go. The reason I likened it to Passion is in terms of the absolute curve-ball that it throws at the audience. There's two very big things that Angel does which left me completely shocked and I'm really curious as to where he goes from here.

I'll say no more because I don't want to spoil you but I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. There's some really good dialogue in it as well. :)
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Trial is the beginning of brilliance. That, Reunion and Redefinition are beyond brilliant, as is Reprise-Disharmony. Fantastic 3 episodes there.

S3 is however my fave, you will love it.

S3, S2/S5, S1, S4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow

- 'Am I right, Giles?' - 'I'm almost certain you're not, but to be fair, I wasn't listening.' :)

- Spike was sniffing Buffy's underwear and on his way out managed to pilfer her bra? Dare I say there was actually something a teensy bit cute about that? I can practically feel the love from here. :blush: ;-)

- I really like episodes of fantasy shows that deal with impossibly old and ancient things because there's so much mystery and potential for fun to be had. Has Glory been seeking the key for millennia then and, if so, I'm really surprised that we haven't heard of her before now given her irrational tendency to complain about things!

- I also really like episodes of fantasy shows where the main villain unbeknownst to everyone else appears in plain sight when you least expect it. That scene where Glory rocked up in the Magic Box was amazing imo. The fact that Giles carried on immediately afterwards as well was just gold.

- Based on Sarah Michelle Gellar's performance where she first finds out the news, I'm not really sure who I feel more awful for. Why oh why does Joss Whedon have to be so cruel?

- Although it's nice that we have a familiar face in Ben for the hospital scenes, anyone else think it's awfully weird that he seems to be hanging around Buffy a lot? I mean back off mate that's Riley's girl!

- Oh no. What if Buffy goes through the spell and ends up being the one who kills Joyce herself?

- I know people have said they find Dawn annoying - and maybe I will once Season 5 is done - but right now I actually kind of think that she's an interesting character. Not only because of the ongoing Key stuff and the resultant mystery as well as suspense but also because I think it's quite sad to see how Joyce's illness manages to affect her (along with just about everyone else.) Michelle T is also a pretty good actress I think and I can totally believe her memories about the carousel.

- Riley's 'plight' is also pretty relatable too and I can certainly empathise with his enduring feelings of frustration at being sidelined in favour of somebody else. I just wish he would talk to Buffy about it though instead of going behind the backs of both her and her friends.

- 'I,I,I...I didn't know it was her! I mean, how could I? If it it's any consolation, I may have overcharged her.' :cool:

- I don't know why but the idea of Buffy fighting another snake really bothered me at the time. Looking back though it's no big deal. I actually feel quite proud I knew who Sobek was.

- The Magic Shop stocks whale sounds? Giles is the best.

- Like I mentioned a few posts before, I'm really relieved that Riley didn't cheat on Buffy. What do you suppose the sexual significance of being bitten by another Vampire would be? Second Base? Third? Foul ball? No ball entirely?

- 'What is taking so long, Dreg? You told me snakey-wakey would find my key.' It usually takes me a little while for me to adjust to the main antagonist of the season but after that line and the way Claire Kramer delivered it I think I'm going to quite like Glory.

- Oh and, 'Tick tock, Dreg. Tick frickin' tock.' What can I say? That was great but then again most of the time I'm easily amused.

- Although I think the animatronic of the reptile is really quite good, I'm less than enthusiastic about the CGI. No offence though to the people who made it. I'm sure this was pretty cutting edge for 2000/2001, right?

- Poor Riley. I know we might 'ridicule' him for feeling jealous but at this point it strikes me that he still is trying to do the right thing except nobody else is around to see it!

- To conclude, that was an all-round enjoyable ep although I sense that the scenes with Joyce from here on out will be particularly hard to watch. In fact, I actually think it's more effective from a certain perspective that I know Joyce is going to die but I don't know when. This is because it gives me a clearer insight into how Buffy is feeling since no doubt the thought will have crossed her mind - or it will if she hasn't contemplated it yet.

- Additionally, whilst I have come to appreciate Glory as the main nemesis of Season 5, I really hope her involvement in the story is elevated - and soon - to doing more than just sending out the different Monsters of the Week for the Scoobies to fight. Whilst she does have a clear target and goal, there's almost the risk it'll become increasingly repetitive watching her fail. Of course I *know* that she'll run into Dawn at some point but I have a feeling that encounter will be reserved for more towards the end. I just hope she's given something productive to do until then.

And here's a question that just occurred to me when trying to contemplate what Glory could do between now and finding Dawn: do you think any of the Buffy villains have pathos? The only person who seems to have any shades of grey aside from Angelus is probably the Mayor from Season 3 due to how he looked after Faith. I think the Master, Adam and Glory so far are all pretty driven in their goals and objectives and don't really have much emotional appeal to the audience. That's not to say I think they're bad villains (even though Adam might have had his faults) but it's just something that I sort of realised is all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And so do you! As with this post, you always alert me to something I've missed. Fortunately though it's a welcome habit, and as it goes you're very nice. :)

Aw, thank you! Right back atcha :) I really do love this thread because it's a rare chance for me to indulge in all my Buffy love :D No-one else I know is into the show so this is why threads like this one are a god-send :D
    Shadow

Although it's nice that we have a familiar face in Ben for the hospital scenes, anyone else think it's awfully weird that he seems to be hanging around Buffy a lot? I mean back off mate that's Riley's girl!

Ben's not just a pretty face, he does actually have another purpose ;-)
    I know people have said they find Dawn annoying - and maybe I will once Season 5 is done - but right now I actually kind of think that she's an interesting character. Not only because of the ongoing Key stuff and the resultant mystery as well as suspense but also because I think it's quite sad to see how Joyce's illness manages to affect her (along with just about everyone else.) Michelle T is also a pretty good actress I think and I can totally believe her memories about the carousel.

See, I'm fine with Dawn in stuff like that scene with Riley, it's when she goes into selfish, petulant, bratty mode that I want to smack her all over the place. Real Me is a case in point; I know she was supposed to be a bloody irritant in that episode, but still! >:(
    Although I think the animatronic of the reptile is really quite good, I'm less than enthusiastic about the CGI. No offence though to the people who made it. I'm sure this was pretty cutting edge for 2000/2001, right?

Don't feel bad about slagging off the CGI, it was horrific :blush: Weird really, because other CGI scenes are so well done. Makes you wonder why that one was so laughable :confused:

As an aside (since I don't think it properly counts as a pathos thing) - I don't know why, but I always feel a tiny pang of sadness when there's that shot of Glory standing by the window, looking out for the cobra demon to come back. I feel kind of sorry for her for a split second because she looks so folorn! :o
  • Options
    cfc86cfc86 Posts: 31,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Glory. She's one of my favourite villains along with Angelus and The Mayor. Ten years ago I met Clare Kramer who plays Glory. Lovely woman. I was meant to meet Andy Hallet but he couldn't make it due to a heart problem. Sadly years later the actor would die because of his heart problem :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cfc86 wrote: »
    I love Glory. She's one of my favourite villains along with Angelus and The Mayor. Ten years ago I met Clare Kramer who plays Glory. Lovely woman. I was meant to meet Andy Hallet but he couldn't make it due to a heart problem. Sadly years later the actor would die because of his heart problem :(

:o

Cooooool! How long did you have with her/What did you say to her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had to Google who Andy Hallet was but it's sad that the Host has now died as well. RIP. :(

And I second wanting to know what Claire Kramer was she like. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o

Cooooool! How long did you have with her/What did you say to her?
    I had to Google who Andy Hallet was but it's sad that the Host has now died as well. RIP. :(

And I second wanting to know what Claire Kramer was she like. :)

I didn't have too long. About two minutes but I missed the original meet and greet due to my bus being late. It was at a convention but I went outside later for some air as I felt a little dizzy. Clare Kramer noticed and came outside, asking if I was okay and stayed with me until she had to go back inside. She just asked if I was okay and if I needed anything but I thought it was nice how she checked how I was. I did get a picture signed by her too so that was awesome too :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't have too long. About two minutes but I missed the original meet and greet due to my bus being late. It was at a convention but I went outside later for some air as I felt a little dizzy. Clare Kramer noticed and came outside, asking if I was okay and stayed with me until she had to go back inside. She just asked if I was okay and if I needed anything but I thought it was nice how she checked how I was. I did get a picture signed by her too so that was awesome too :D

That was really sweet of her. She sounds lovely. :)

In continuing with the theme, which actors would you say are the most like their characters? I'm trying to avoid interviews and stuff like that at the moment in case of spoilers but is, say, Alyson Hannigan anything like Willow or vice versa? I like watching old episodes of The Graham Norton Show on YouTube and so the only person I've properly seen interviewed is David Boreanaz and this was a while ago. It doesn't take a genius though to figure out he was naturally very different from Angel and I kind of knew that beforehand anyways (but it must be said, unsurprisingly, much like Angel his impressions are good - his Simon Cowell was really funny I thought.) I also haven't really seen the actors in anything else (well aside from Sarah Michelle Gellar, Eliza Dushku and Anthony Head.)

It doesn't really matter if anyone knows, and of course some are bound to be different. Just me being somewhat curious is all. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, wow! How lovely of her! :) Lucky you with the signed pic as well :D

I think there's a London Comic Con this month and Drusilla's supposed to be there, but I haven't got the cash to go :( I'd really love to meet a Buffy big gun!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Trial

- It certainly makes a change for Angel to be doing his Dirty Laundry in private when, what with Darla coming back and everything else, it's usually being flaunted all over LA. I really enjoyed that opening scene by the way. Cordelia and Wesley's suspicions were great.

- 'Well no one ever does (ask for life.) God doesn't give us a say in these matters.' I know that was only a small slice of philosophy and not exactly earth shattering either but still I've contemplated this idea myself before and I find it really interesting all the same.

- Ha! Darla's 'dating'. I figured she would. She's another character who's fared much better in Angel as opposed to Buffy. I would have to say Angel and potentially Wesley are two of the others. :)

- I'm not so sure if I believe that Darla's dying. After all, Wolfram and Hart are the people involved. There's absolutely got to be some kind of catch.

- Additionally, I know that Angel was explaining how people do what do they gotta do when they're increasingly desperate but I'm not so sure I believe what Darla did back in the barn. I mean Angelus is her child is he not? I'm not so sure that she'd just leave him like that. Then again, Vampires aren't exactly renowned for compassion...

- So Darla is dying. Huh. Well that makes sense. And Lindsey, Lindsey, Lindsey, Lindsey, Lindsey, Lindsey, Lindsey... Poor Guy is getting way too out of his depth. :(

- Also, Julie Benz has quite a nice voice I think.

- I know it was only a metaphorical expression but so much for Hell and the High Water. I mean, I really don't know what's so imposing about an empty pool? Surely they could have found something more extravagant to signify the leap of faith? That being said, even if people did find that pool (which is another one of my minor nitpicks) I'm not so sure they would have been willing to jump head first. Angel sure is one fearless dude. :cool: ;-)

- At first I was expecting the plot of this episode to deal with a trial by Wolfram and Hart. This is kind of better I suppose...?

- Although I did admittedly find the concept of the first challenge somewhat intriguing, it immediately lost me when the creature appeared. I also groaned when we learnt that no one had ever defeated the first challenge before and that the previous record was about eight seconds.

- O.K so the second test was somewhat endearing as brief as it was but the get out for the final task I found was really predictable and boring. That being said, whilst you could argue that it was a waste of time in the end, the fact that Darla couldn't be healed almost made the whole thing better.

- Ooh that ending! I knew Drusilla would be coming back and that Darla was going to be restored to a Vampire form (from the back of the DVD Box) but still that was a surprising twist nonetheless. And just when I was starting to think Darla could be capable of good and that she'd maybe be welcomed into the Angel Investigations Group!

- To conclude, that episode was pretty intriguing. I'm quite disappointed about Darla though if only because I genuinely felt like she had the potential to change. Still, it was a twist I didn't really see coming. My look resembled the pure anguish on Angel's face. I cheered up when I realised though that Spike now had a sister of sorts. :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say Alyson Hannigan is slightly similar to Willow. Amber Benson maybe similar to Tara? With how she is on twitter I'd say Emma Caulfield is like Anya. I wonder if she's a fear of bunnies too.
    I'm unsure about the men though.