'Under The Skin' starring Scarlett Johnansson

Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This looks really good, somewhat hard to tell what it's about from the trailer but it's based on a book and has been getting really good reviews.

Seems there isn't much buzz about this film for whatever reason. Anyone planning to see this next week?

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They creamed their pants over this last night on Film 2014. Having said that any film that Winkleman likes can`t be any good can it?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Loved the book and rate Glazer highly. I know opinion has been mixed on this but I'm very much looking forward to it.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    They creamed their pants over this last night on Film 2014. Having said that any film that Winkleman likes can`t be any good can it?

:D That does seem to be an increasingly reliable rule but every rule has its exceptions.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a couple of people who've seen it and they thought it was utter bobbins and one of the worst films of the year.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    This looks really good, somewhat hard to tell what it's about from the trailer but it's based on a book and has been getting really good reviews.

Seems there isn't much buzz about this film for whatever reason. Anyone planning to see this next week?

Sex aliens in Scotland.

Sounds like a great premis for a movie. I'm in.

That and The Zero Theorem, Transendence, Interstellar, it's shaping up to be an intersting year of Sci Fi.

Hell, even the new Tom Cruise flick looks interesting.

Just don't get me started on Jupiter Ascending...I want to like the trailer but Tatum looking like a goat? Nope.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like this movie will be a love/hate type scenario!
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    From what I can tell, and the lead casting is a great indicator, this film will barely be based on the book. I really loved the book, and it's one that stuck in my mind for a long time afterwards, but did feel that when this film was first mooted, that it'd be too hard to adapt. Seems to be the case from what I've seen and read about the film. That's not to say for certain that the film will disappoint me, not every good adaptation has to follow the book closely, but I think it will help not to expect too much of the book to be in the film.

I really do appreciate Glazer and know that he's been committed to this adaptation for a long while. Sexy Beast was a great film, and Birth, although not as good, still had something interesting about it, so I'm more confident than not that this film will not disappoint, despite any variance it has with the book it's based on.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that this film uses real members of the public who are duped into thinking Scarlett Johansson is a prostitute. That kind of peaked my interest although I think there's also potential for this film to be horrible.
  • MediaMan5MediaMan5 Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tbf to her she's probably more qualified than you are go posting your opinions on here so. Plus she hardly reviews film on the show she merely acts as the presenter who gives her very brief opinions on the films, the show does have two respectable film critics on each week for reviews so I think people need to lay off Claudia a bit.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MediaMan5 wrote: »
    Tbf to her she's probably more qualified than you are go posting your opinions on here so. Plus she hardly reviews film on the show she merely acts as the presenter who gives her very brief opinions on the films, the show does have two respectable film critics on each week for reviews so I think people need to lay off Claudia a bit.

Claudia, get off the internet. What have I told you.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member

As you say, she acts as the "everyman", while more credible critics have their say. I respect Danny Leigh's opinion as a critic, so was encouraged that he was "creaming" himself about this film. Personally, I have no problem with Winkleman presenting Film 2014, as long as her opinion is drowned out by a credible critic or two. It could be worse: Simon Mayo takes over as the "everyman"...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Claudia is a good host and I respect the film critics that appear on the show regularly. However I think we should get back on topic :D
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd heard rumours that she gets naked in it, but it seems that you don't really see anything. Shame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribute wrote: »
    I'd heard rumours that she gets naked in it, but it seems that you don't really see anything. Shame.

I think she's worth a bit more than that tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbf to her she's probably more qualified than you are go posting your opinions on here so..

Setting aside your appalling grammar, qualified in what sense? To giggle like a tween and peek through her fringe, eyelids drooping under the weight of eyeliner and mascara? Yep, she`s more than qualified to do that and **** all else as far as I can tell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Setting aside your appalling grammar, qualified in what sense? To giggle like a tween and peek through her fringe, eyelids drooping under the weight of eyeliner and mascara? Yep, she`s more than qualified to do that and **** all else as far as I can tell.

Discuss this in the TV forum, there's a thread for Film 2014 somewhere.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do some feel the need to bring up grammar and/or spelling on here?:confused: It's completely irrelevant when you can clearly tell what's being said.

Other than a need to feel superior, of course.

(Not that I agree with the sentiment of Claudia Winkleman being more qualified than anyone here to share an opinion on a film. You don't need to be qualified to do so, an opinion is just that. Her simply hosting a show about film doesn't equate to being more "qualified".)
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under the Skin is one of my favourite books and I've been really looking forward to this film coming out. But, just seen the trailer and I'm not so sure.

The thing about the book, was that I'd read no spoilers and so was surprised at the tangent it went off at. I thought it was going to be one genre and it turned into another. It's a shame that can't be done with film - but trailers and spoilers kind of ruin that. Plus, I think it's going to be more obvious from the start.

I shall have to wait till the DVD comes out and see how true to the book it is. I'm still looking forward to it; I'll just have different expectations.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the promo material she looks remarkably like Cillian Murphy's character in Breakfast on Pluto.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

haha, always a sign someones losing an argument when they bring up this one. Hardly appalling is it? :confused: Oh you also attack Claudias physical appearance along with my grammar in your short four line reply, therefore you present two of the clear signs of limitation in your debate, it's all very telling ;-) Maybe saying she was 'more qualified' (as it clearly touched a nerve) was the wrong choice of words to express the point I was aiming to make. I was merely stating how Claudia presents the show and rarely actually gives an opinion of more than a few words so I don't really see the problem especially to the extent of the clear hatred you seem to have, very strange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do some feel the need to bring up grammar and/or spelling on here?:confused: It's completely irrelevant when you can clearly tell what's being said.

Other than a need to feel superior, of course.

(Not that I agree with the sentiment of Claudia Winkleman being more qualified than anyone here to share an opinion on a film. You don't need to be qualified to do so, an opinion is just that. Her simply hosting a show about film doesn't equate to being more "qualified".)

Thank you, always very telling when someone brings that one up.

Anyway back to the film. I don't seem to know much about this film which is unusual and exciting as it seemed to have pass me by up until a few weeks ago. I've seen on some other message boards people comparing it to something David Lynch would do but didn't know how true this actually was? I'm a massive Lynch fan but either way I'm very excited and intrigued by this film, seems to have really split opinions across the board from what I have read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha, always a sign someones losing an argument when they bring up this one.

No, it`s a sign you don`t put enough care or consideration into what you`re typing. Do you care to re-type the following so it makes sense?
    Tbf to her she's probably more qualified than you are go posting your opinions on here so..

Movie reviewer is a job anyone can do. I say "anyone" but of course a decent grasp of the English language would be an essential so I guess that rules some people out.....
    Oh you also attack Claudias physical appearance along with my grammar in your short four line reply, therefore you present two of the clear signs of limitation in your debate, it's all very telling

Winkleman`s stupid bloody fringe is one of her trademark features (speaks volumes that this, more than her journalistic skills or lack therof, gets more attention) so as a movie reviewer ie someone who needs to SEE the films she is commenting on it`s a perfectly fair aspect to pick up on.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to watch this. I know one of the filming locations quite well. The place is dismal in real life so I want to see how bad it looks on film! I think they picked the area because it was so dismal. They're going for this hideous run down Scottish tenement look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I wanted to watch this. I know one of the filming locations quite well. The place is dismal in real life so I want to see how bad it looks on film! I think they picked the area because it was so dismal. They're going for this hideous run down Scottish tenement look.

Well the book is quite dark and descriptive in terms of location so I think you may be right :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it`s a sign you don`t put enough care or consideration into what you`re typing. Do you care to re-type the following so it makes sense?

No, no I don't. It has an abbreviation and a typo, hardly a big deal. If you cannot understand what that sentence says than maybe the issue is closer to home. Please stop trying to personally attack me because the only person that's looking like the fool is you, trust me. :)
    Movie reviewer is a job anyone can do. I say "anyone" but of course a decent grasp of the English language would be an essential so I guess that rules some people out.....

I am more than qualified in the English Language thank you so why don't you get off your high horse and stop trying to belittle me for your own personal satisfaction as you seem to have no other way to present yourself in an argument. Which is more of a reflection upon yourself not me.

Winkleman`s stupid bloody fringe is one of her trademark features (speaks volumes that this, more than her journalistic skills or lack therof, gets more attention) so as a movie reviewer ie someone who needs to SEE the films she is commenting on it`s a perfectly fair aspect to pick up on.

Oops. Seems I'm not the only one who doesn't have 'a decent grasp of the English language' ;-) Dismounted that high horse yet?

Also, who ever said Claudia is a film reviewer? From what I can see she is a presenter who present a film show (that has respectable film critics on ) whilst also taking an interest every now and then in the films. Tess Daly presents Strictly Come Dancing but does that mean she is or has to be a ballroom dancer? I think not.