Costa Rica vs England - 24/06/14 - ITV 5pm KO

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
Forum Member
I thought I'd start this one a little early as people might want to discuss what line-up and tactics Roy should choose for England's swansong of Brazil 2014.

My opinion is he should completely drop Gerrard and Rooney and pick some of the younger players who might be relevant going forwards. I don't see any point in playing players like Lambert or Lampard either.

Enjoy the match!

Comments

• Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not gonna bother with this one. Gonna watch Italy/Uruguay instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooney to the right this time or in the slightly more controversial goalkeeper position ;)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not sure about Lampard. It's probably his final match and it will be at a world cup.

Do you start with him and bring him off at 60 minutes for a standing ovation or bring him on at 60 or so minutes?

Shaw, Barkley and Lallana and Lambert should get a game imo.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Something tells me he'll pick more or less the same team he's picked for the past two games; using the excuse that we owe it to Italy and Uruguay to field our strongest possible team.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'll even bother watching it. The Italy v Uruguay game is at least a "live" game between two teams with something to play for. I'm not sure I can bare to watch England stink the place out again.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    What's it got to do with Uruguay? They need to beat Italy regardless what England do. The only relevant part is who finishes top of the group. Even if Uruguay were dependent on England then Hodgson could still field whatever team he wanted. That's academic now anyway.

I suspect he will stick with Gerrard since he's the captain and he doesn't want to send out the wrong message to him. Rooney may get a rest and Lambert given a go. It's an ideal opportunity to start with a few of the youngsters like Luke Shaw for example.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Something tells me he'll pick more or less the same team he's picked for the past two games; using the excuse that we owe it to Italy and Uruguay to field our strongest possible team.
    Right, so none of the current eleven should play then. :D
  • JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope we get to see a different goalie. Not been impressed with Hart

Maybe have a look at Forster

Shaw in for Baines and lallana to start should both be no- brainers and Milner in for Johnson should be considered
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    I'm torn about which match to watch too. I'm further torn, in that I've now got a soft spot for CR.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally think he should let those that haven't had a proper game play. I don't know if Costa Rica are that bothered about finishing top, but I would have thought players might be rested in their squad. If they can beat Uruguay & Italy the other group will not hold much fear.

But as the match is meaningless I will be watching Italy & Uruguay.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should field a bunch of 12 year olds to prepare them for Qatar World Cup.
  • nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a game with no more than a goal likely to separate the sides, Italy/Uruguay are likely to finish 2nd and play Colombia.

That is unless England also win with a Rooney hat trick or something of similar proportions.

As there is more chance of a pig launching into space on it's own accord, and orbiting around the earth we should field a side to gain experience.

Get Shaw, Forster etc out there.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not gonna bother with this one. Gonna watch Italy/Uruguay instead.

Same here, shouldn't be on the main channel, as its not part of the WC, Costa Ricas already through, we are already out, its a nothing game, putting it on the main channel just because its England is utter rubbish, just like the team, they don't deserve to be shown on the main channel, id have stuck em on itv4! :D
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Same here, shouldn't be on the main channel, as its not part of the WC, Costa Ricas already through, we are already out, its a nothing game, putting it on the main channel just because its England is utter rubbish, just like the team, they don't deserve to be shown on the main channel, id have stuck em on itv4! :D

How is it not part of the World Cup?

I'll be watching Uruguay v Italy, but it's not like it has no relevance whatsoever, Uruguay or Italy can still top the group if Costa Rica lose.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How far in advance would the advertisers booked a spot/agreed a price for the adverts in this game . Not sure how all that works ?

Guess that may determine that they're on ITV 1
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    How is it not part of the World Cup?

I'll be watching Uruguay v Italy, but it's not like it has no relevance whatsoever, Uruguay or Italy can still top the group if Costa Rica lose.

As its a zero game, not like were going to knock Costa Rica out, and we are going to go through is it, its only on the main channel as its us.

Id only watch it to see us get a tanking, but its Italy/Uruguay, a proper WC game for me, its more important than the England sh!te.
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    As its a zero game, not like were going to knock Costa Rica out, and we are going to go through is it, its only on the main channel as its us.

Id only watch it to see us get a tanking, but its Italy/Uruguay, a proper WC game for me, its more important than the England sh!te.

As I already posted, Costa Rica will want to top the group, it's not meaningless for them, think they'll want to avoid Colombia. Agree that it's on the main channel because it's England though, common sense really.
    Forum Member
    The England match with still get better ratings that the other so it will be on ITV1.

Plus not everyone has access to ITV4.
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Are Costa Rica favourites to win this game after beating both Uruguay and Italy?
    Forum Member
    Very much doubt it, I'll check.

Edit: England favourites, Costa Rica as much as 18/5.
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England 7 (Jagielka 7) Costa Rica 0. Jagielka wins the Golden Boot. That's my prediction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Plus not everyone has access to ITV4.
    Please explain why you think that?
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The England squad visited an orphanage in Brazil today as part of their farewell engagements.
    "It was heartbreaking to see their sad little faces" said Pablo aged 6.
    Forum Member
    Peter_Lamy wrote: »
    Please explain why you think that?
    Because it's a fact.
    People with Freeview Lite or on certain multiplexes cannot recieve all of the Freeview channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Because it's a fact.
    People with Freeview Lite or on certain multiplexes cannot recieve all of the Freeview channels.

Oh right, I didn't know that!
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Word is that Frank Lampard will be captain and Luke Shaw coming in for Baines who has a knock.