Options

Ex keyboard player learning to play the piano

blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I used to play the keyboard as a teenager and have always had the intention of learning to play the piano properly. I've decided that it's about time I actually started so i'm planning to buy a new electric piano in the next few weeks.

Can anyone give me tips on the best teaching method or any decent learning books available? I played the keyboard 'chord and melody; method a lot when I was younger but as anyone who understands the instrument knows it's a bit like playing checkers to the piano's chess. Though it does mean I can basically read music already.

Any advice welcome :)

Comments

• Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Are you American?

I was just wondering if you can get this over there but I suppose you can

Smallwoods Pianoforte Tutor
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    The best way would be private lessons with a qualified LRAM piano tutor in your local area. Just go for a few weeks and see how you like it. You'll need to be patient and practice a lot though, and unlearn the bad habits you probably picked up when you were a keyboard player.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    My daughter had piano lessons, and then added keyboard lessons for a while (before changing the keyboard lessons to bass guitar) .

As I was a little confused about the difference between piano and keyboards - I asked :D

Very basically piano uses both hands (and is the only music that has two lines - one for each hand), keyboard just uses one hand (the right) - the left hand uses one finger to play single finger chords (a common keyboard facility).

Obviously it's easier to move from piano to keyboard, as you have less to do rather than more.

I would agree that the best way is to have some lessons, you probably don't need many - just enough to get you from the keyboard 'mindset' to the piano one :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter had piano lessons, and then added keyboard lessons for a while (before changing the keyboard lessons to bass guitar) .

As I was a little confused about the difference between piano and keyboards - I asked :D

Very basically piano uses both hands (and is the only music that has two lines - one for each hand), keyboard just uses one hand (the right) - the left hand uses one finger to play single finger chords (a common keyboard facility).

Obviously it's easier to move from piano to keyboard, as you have less to do rather than more.

I would agree that the best way is to have some lessons, you probably don't need many - just enough to get you from the keyboard 'mindset' to the piano one :D

Actually the typical way to play the keyboard is by playing the full chord with the left hand (using at least 3 fingers) - the one finger function really is just for beginners.

The piano is more complicated because not only are you playing fully with both hands but you also have to control the pressure you apply to keys to achieve the appropriate volume and use the pedals for the necessary effects.

Thanks for tips - I will get the book recommended above and look out for local lessons.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey OP, that could have been me writing that post.
    Having not tinkled the plastics since I was a teenager, my wife recently bought me an electronic piano for my birthday along with some "Lern Yerself Pianos" books.

The only trouble is, because I "used to play" I still think I can, so have been learning songs off by heart from Youtube vids, like Radiohead and Pink Floyd stuff, instead of knuckling down and starting from scratch again.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The piano is more complicated because not only are you playing fully with both hands but you also have to control the pressure you apply to keys to achieve the appropriate volume and use the pedals for the necessary effects.
    A lot of keyboards emulate* that functionality though. The main use of the keyboard I see is output to a PA, output to headphones for the benefit of other family members, effects such as organ and a transpose button (probably the most useful 'cheat'!).

* edit: you can get a foot pedal for example that plugs in.
  • Options
    OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    A lot of keyboards emulate that functionality though. The main use of the keyboard I see is output to a PA, output to headphones for the benefit of other family members, effects such as organ and a transpose button (probably the most useful 'cheat'!).

The output, which is a 1/4" jack socket on many keyboards such as mine, can also be used to record your efforts to a tape recorder, digital recorder etc using the appropriate lead. The results are much better than for a traditional acoustic piano.

I play my keyboard as I would a piano - chords with the right hand, one or two bass notes with the left. I do not use the "auto accompaniment" very much.
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangecrab wrote: »
    The output, which is a 1/4" jack socket on many keyboards such as mine, can also be used to record your efforts to a tape recorder, digital recorder etc using the appropriate lead. The results are much better than for a traditional acoustic piano.

I play my keyboard as I would a piano - chords with the right hand, one or two bass notes with the left. I do not use the "auto accompaniment" very much.

Same. I use mine as an electric piano. By the time I'd done all my exams, all the chords and rhythm section were recorded onto a disk within the keyboard, and then played the melody and accompaniment over the top. The biggest difference for me was the weighted keys on a piano and then getting the subtlety in expression right in both hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you American?

I was just wondering if you can get this over there but I suppose you can

Smallwoods Pianoforte Tutor

Just to say, I bought a new electric piano last month and have been spending 30 mins every day (well almost every day) practicing from this book. I'm finding it quite a struggle as it seems to have quite a steep difficulty curve.At this point though I guess just doing the preliminary lessons and scales are all I need.

I general have poor coordination skills though so playing both hands at the same time is difficult for me. I've been practicing the scale for C for a week now and still can't do both hands together.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You piano dudes might be interested in the jazz fake books available for free download at archive.org. They're pdf's of the Xeroxed hand-written books people used to flog for £20 outside jazz gigs. Fake books are just melody line + chords, but they tend to be the groovy chord substitutions the pro's use, as opposed to the 'correct' original boring versions. The ones called Real Book vol 1, 2, 3 are quite good IMHO. So if you want the real chords to 'Round Midnight or Night in Tunisia etc, check out -

https://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Afakebooks&sort=-publicdate
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    The best way would be private lessons with a qualified LRAM piano tutor in your local area. Just go for a few weeks and see how you like it. You'll need to be patient and practice a lot though, and unlearn the bad habits you probably picked up when you were a keyboard player.

Agree with this. Be aware that the LRAM was withdrawn 20 years ago or so so there are fewer of these about. It was replaced by the LRSM (check if it's the performance or teaching version) and followed by the CTABRSM. (certificate of teaching).
    I shouldn't go totally ABRSM or you'll think I'm on commission :-) - there's teaching diplomas from the London College, and Trinity Guildhall and something called the Cert PTC which is a Piano Teaching course run by EPTA (European Piano Teachers Association).

If you want a good place to find a teacher, go to www.ism.org - the professional body for a lot of private music teachers. There's also the musicians union, who may well offer a similar service.
    Also try EPTA http://www.epta-uk.org/FindaTeacher.

Good luck!