Annual/Monthly Employee review- Why need it

brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
Those who work for big firm or small firms who has annual or monthly employee review on how your performance and how its going or well or how bad your work productivity is and do you get positive or negative and do they end up or result in firing at the end of the review
Also why do many business conduct these review on staff

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointless HR box ticking exercise
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,039
    Forum Member
    Pointless HR box ticking exercise

Only if done badly.

Done properly, rewards people who perform, helps people who are struggling, allows you to develop if you want to, helps the business have the pool of people it needs.

{EDIT: And I don't work in HR]
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Only if done badly.

Done properly, rewards people who perform, helps people who are struggling, allows you to develop if you want to, helps the business have the pool of people it needs.

{EDIT: And I don't work in HR]

True, pity I have never worked for a company that did them right.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a formal way of providing feedback*, making sure your goals align with the boss' goals for the team and the company's goals overall. They're useful documentation to help provide a case for a raise or promotion, or on the other end of the scale, letting go (either by firing or redundancy).

Done badly, they are pointless. Done well, and done with the correct attitude (of both boss and employee), they are a great management tool.

*Feedback should certainly not be restricted to just these review meetings, however - good mangers should provide regular feedback for all employees, either formally or informally, so their employees are never in the dark about what they're doing well/what they need to improve.

The problem is that particularly in the UK there is a culture of poor, lazy, unmotivated management styles, which in turn breeds dissent and a lack of respect in those being managed.
  • brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a formal way of providing feedback*, making sure your goals align with the boss' goals for the team and the company's goals overall. They're useful documentation to help provide a case for a raise or promotion, or on the other end of the scale, letting go (either by firing or redundancy).

Done badly, they are pointless. Done well, and done with the correct attitude (of both boss and employee), they are a great management tool.

*Feedback should certainly not be restricted to just these review meetings, however - good mangers should provide regular feedback for all employees, either formally or informally, so their employees are never in the dark about what they're doing well/what they need to improve.

The problem is that particularly in the UK there is a culture of poor, lazy, unmotivated management styles, which in turn breeds dissent and a lack of respect in those being managed.

how common are these review end up on firing staff
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A review can result in performance policies being invoked meaning you are under scrutiny to perform better.
    As with anything, it is a toll that can be used wisely for benefit or poorly as a box ticking exercise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always find there is a great emphasis on the ability to communicate, so it is important to be able to write well. For example, the use of punctuation, capital letters, spelling. Failure to achieve these will result in instant dismissal.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,039
    Forum Member

Depends on the organisation. I've been here 15 years, and our overall department has increased from 100 to 200+ in that time. In all that time, fewer than 1 person a year has left because of poor performance, and that is a last resort.

I cannot think of anyone being point blank fired.

On the other hand, previous jobs have been more factory facing, and there were more people dismissed there.

In any case, there will be a clear procedure, and once you have been there the required length of time (?2 years), this has to be followed
  • brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Depends on the organisation. I've been here 15 years, and our overall department has increased from 100 to 200+ in that time. In all that time, fewer than 1 person a year has left because of poor performance, and that is a last resort.

I cannot think of anyone being point blank fired.

On the other hand, previous jobs have been more factory facing, and there were more people dismissed there.

In any case, there will be a clear procedure, and once you have been there the required length of time (?2 years), this has to be followed

why do businesses do this anyway why cant staff just come in to work and do their work and get on with it and thats it why need to review their performance on a monthly/annual basis
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I employed the OP I'd probably insist on a daily one.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Employers are very strict on employees who use company resources to post constant employment-related threads on online forums.

Beware!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why do businesses do this anyway why cant staff just come in to work and do their work and get on with it
    Because a few are slackers, a few are not up to scratch, a few refuse to change the way they work in line with organisational changes.
    "do their work" - well, sometimes they need to be told what their work is and to stop doing stuff that is no longer required and to concentrate on other tasks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I employed the OP I'd probably insist on a daily one.
    How would he get through the screening process :eek:
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pointless and needless waste of time and money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Where's CravenHaven?
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    Where's CravenHaven?

Got sacked because of a bad review.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Employers are very strict on employees who use company resources to post constant employment-related threads on online forums.

Beware!!

Er, you think the OP has a job? :o
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Because a few are slackers, a few are not up to scratch, a few refuse to change the way they work in line with organisational changes.
    "do their work" - well, sometimes they need to be told what their work is and to stop doing stuff that is no longer required and to concentrate on other tasks.

Indeed. And sometimes you inherit staff who you don't think are up to the constantly evolving nature of the role. Appraisals are an excellent way of setting objectives and monitoring progress to enable them to either prove their worth or to have evidence that they haven't managed to reach the standard required and may be in the wrong role
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    Where's CravenHaven?
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Got sacked because of a bad review.

Not from me he didn't. His contributions are the only thing that make the OP's tedious, incomprehensible threads worth clicking.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Ive had three since ive been working, i can only remember the last two.

The second one i had was worthwhile. It was a half hour chat with one of the sisters who wrote down how well i was working and identified with me areas i could improve on. It was also an opportunity for sisters to nominate bank staff for additional courses which were only routinely offered to permanent staff.

My last one was ridiculous. I was told what time to turn up for my appraisal expecting it to be the same as before. It wasnt. Mine was with a sister i had never worked with and there were 10 other members of staff there! Each thinking it was an individual appraisal. It lasted about 5 minutes and was just basically does anyone have anything they would like to complain about? A few people bought up some issues that were swept under the carpet then we left!

It really was a case of right we need to get this done so we will just make everyone turn up, do a register then that counts as the appraisal done! Some people didnt even say anything so just turned up to get their name down as having had it done and that was it!