Did you prefer Frasier on 'Frasier' or 'Cheers'?

woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
Forum Member
✭✭
I have to say, recently re-watching 'Cheers' has made me realise just how different the character of Frasier Crane was on each show. In 'Cheers' he was originally a stuffy, goofy guy who didn't really fit in, but as time went on, he developed into a manic, sarcastic member of the gang with a fine line in sharp, biting wit and a hair trigger temper. When 'Frasier' began, he was quite similar (at least for a couple of seasons) but he quickly devolved back into a stuffy, goofy snob obsessed with being high-brow and out of touch with just about everyone except Niles (who was even more snooty). So which 'version' do you prefer? I have to say, I much prefer the later 'Cheers' incarnation of the character. He played so well off of Lilith and his manic outbursts gave Kelsey Grammer many opportunities to flex his comedic muscle. I found him far too foppish and awkward around people as 'Frasier' went on, and he seemed perpetually to be put in embarrassing situations and made to look like a fool (in one episode, he even had to cavort around a stage dressed like a giant baby).

Comments? Concerns? Expressions of love?

Comments

• 777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't take to his character on Cheers at all! Much prefer him on Frasier.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frasier.

The character had far more depth and variety.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    777Eilidh wrote: »
    I didn't take to his character on Cheers at all! Much prefer him on Frasier.

Don't get me wrong, I do really like 'Frasier', but I think he became too much like Niles as the series wore on. I preferred the first couple of seasons in which he kind of laughed at Niles' snobbery and lay somewhere between his brother and father. I can't imagine the beer and scotch swilling Frasier of 'Cheers' being as foppish as the later incarnation, who was obsessed with being a socialite, enjoying facials in luxury health spas and who would have been horrified to be seen in the company of a postman, a failed accountant and a foul-mouthed waitress.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I have to say, recently re-watching 'Cheers' has made me realise just how different the character of Frasier Crane was on each show. In 'Cheers' he was originally a stuffy, goofy guy who didn't really fit in, but as time went on, he developed into a manic, sarcastic member of the gang with a fine line in sharp, biting wit and a hair trigger temper. When 'Frasier' began, he was quite similar (at least for a couple of seasons) but he quickly devolved back into a stuffy, goofy snob obsessed with being high-brow and out of touch with just about everyone except Niles (who was even more snooty)

You have to remember when "Frasier" started, Frasier was recently divorced, separated from his son had just moved back to his home city. His confidence had taken a beating. Add to that he was starting out on the radio, something he had never done before.

As the series progressed, the radio show became more and more successful, and with it his ego.
    So which 'version' do you prefer? I have to say, I much prefer the later 'Cheers' incarnation of the character. He played so well off of Lilith and his manic outbursts gave Kelsey Grammer many opportunities to flex his comedic muscle. I found him far too foppish and awkward around people as 'Frasier' went on, and he seemed perpetually to be put in embarrassing situations and made to look like a fool (in one episode, he even had to cavort around a stage dressed like a giant baby).

I think that's something that had always been part of the show.

Oh, and I prefer Frasier's Frasier. (Just like I prefer Angel's Angel & Wesley, or DS9's O'Brian...I think many side characters don't get a chance to truly shine until they've flown the nest)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    You have to remember when "Frasier" started, Frasier was recently divorced, separated from his son had just moved back to his home city. His confidence had taken a beating. Add to that he was starting out on the radio, something he had never done before.

Speaking of his divorce, I think one of the main reasons I prefer 'Cheers' Frasier is his relationship with Lilith, which gave us fantastic clashes like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf_C5hPrWaE

I think that on 'Frasier', having him as a perpetually unlucky-in-love single man got somewhat boring and repetitive. More pointedly, there wasn't a single female to whom he was linked on 'Frasier' that had the slightest bit of chemistry with Grammer, whereas he crackled with Bebe Neuwirth. I got rather bored of his endless parade of dull, personality-less girlfriends. Even Laura Linney (with whom he ended up) had absolutely no spark with him.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did watch Keley Grammar on Cheers, but have never seen an episode of Frasier. Frasier Crane was not my favourite Cheers character, and KG was not an actor I would go out of my way to watch. He was/is, basically, a guy whose job is in the acting profession, not a talent, imo. Since seeing the way in which he treated his then wife, Camille, committing adultery, fighting for custody of the kids, etc., I think he is a horrible man whose narcissism knows no bounds.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I much preferred Cheers to Frasier, I think I prefer the character on the latter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of his divorce, I think one of the main reasons I prefer 'Cheers' Frasier is his relationship with Lilith, which gave us fantastic clashes like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf_C5hPrWaE

I think that on 'Frasier', having him as a perpetually unlucky-in-love single man got somewhat boring and repetitive. More pointedly, there wasn't a single female to whom he was linked on 'Frasier' that had the slightest bit of chemistry with Grammer, whereas he crackled with Bebe Neuwirth. I got rather bored of his endless parade of dull, personality-less girlfriends. Even Laura Linney (with whom he ended up) had absolutely no spark with him.

He didn't end up with Laura Linney, they broke up after a short relationship and he decided to move away. :)

His endless parade of girlfriends and lack of chemistry with them was a deliberate aspect of the show. I never got bored with it, but I guess it's all subjective.

I found his relationship with Lilith on Frasier refreshing, far more substantial than their dynamic on Cheers. Their Cheers relationship was comedy driven, whilst the on "Frasier" it was more character driven.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    He didn't end up with Laura Linney, they broke up after a short relationship and he decided to move away. :)

His endless parade of girlfriends and lack of chemistry with them was a deliberate aspect of the show. I never got bored with it, but I guess it's all subjective.

I found his relationship with Lilith on Frasier refreshing, far more substantial than their dynamic on Cheers. Their Cheers relationship was comedy driven, whilst the on "Frasier" it was more character driven.

I thought it was implied in the last episode that he'd sacrificed his new job to chase after Laura Linney's character, Charlotte? I could be wrong; it's a while since I watched it.

I agree about the relationship with Lilith being more character-driven on 'Frasier', Because she wasn't around much, she actually did feel like a realistic ex-wife whom he loved but was no longer in love with. One thing I found a bit much were the frequent jokes about how awful and intolerable she was though - even Martin made them, and whilst Lilith could be tactless and cold, she was no Maris!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was implied in the last episode that he'd sacrificed his new job to chase after Laura Linney's character, Charlotte? I could be wrong; it's a while since I watched it.

Yes it ends with Frasier willing to give it another go with her in Chicago and see what happens. I think the "message" behind it wasn't that they ended up together (but who knows) but rather to never be afraid to take new chances, even if there's a risk of failure.
  • slats7slats7 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    One of the joys of watching Frasier on Cheers was the rest of the gang slowly corrupting him over the years--to the point where he was almost as bad as they were. The Seattle Snob wasn't too proud to eat at The Hungry Heifer with Norm et als.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I never took to Frasier on either show but preferred Frasier due to the other characters