Meghan Trainor- All About That Bass

RyclopsRyclops Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

Anyone heard this? Number 4 in America and I can see this blowing up over here.

Comments

• scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catchy but really annoying. Lyrics are so shit.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I don't care that the lyrics are crap, it's incredibly catchy. No doubt this is gonna be massive in the UK when it's released in October.

I came across the track as it's #1 in Australia right now.
  • P_PP_P Posts: 18,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like this song. Is is a little annoying and the lyrics aren't the best but it's a nice feelgood song that is the closest thing to "doo wop" in the charts at the moment. I prefer it to most of the other successful pop songs that have been released recently.

Looks like it's going to do well when it's released in a few weeks.
  • hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    She needs to release this now. There's a fake version of the song which is currently at #9 on UK iTunes.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the lyrics of the verses are so bad (not great, but not overly terrible!) but the chorus! What is going on with the chorus? It's annoying and repetitive and doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the song.

It is very catchy though and I've had it in my head for a few days now. It's also a good message, and it's a shame her lyrics have been misunderstood/deliberately misquoted to make her look bad as it's a song about being happy with your body no matter what your size (not just aimed at bigger girls). I would add no woman should be defining her value or appearance on what men like in my opinion (as a woman) so I find that part of the song bothersome but it doesn't negate the overall message of being happy with yourself.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to her little EP on Youtube and I really like her style of music. Title is even more catchy and while the melody of Dear Future Husband sounds almost exactly like Olly Murs Dance With Me Tonight, the song i also very catchy. And Close Your Eyes has a very nice message just like All About The Bass.

I'm looking forward in hearing a full album from her one day - however, I found out she already released 2 albums back in 2011 titled I'll Sing With You and Only 17, they are also on Youtube as they are very hard to buy these days.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No1 in America, she'll be no1 here on Sunday
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    I was surprised to hear this on radio 2 last week.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She kind of sounds like Cher Lloyd but definitely doesn't look like her.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I was surprised to hear this on radio 2 last week.

They have been playing it quite a bit. I agree it's not usually their sort of song but I do like it :D
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I don't think the lyrics of the verses are so bad (not great, but not overly terrible!) but the chorus! What is going on with the chorus? It's annoying and repetitive and doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the song.

Oh it does. :p

"because you know I'm all about that bass, 'bout that bass" = I'm all about the big butt.

"no treble" = No anorexic skeletons please.

Well, that's how I've interpreted the lyrics anyways. I think it's a clever metaphor anyways. :D

I'm sure most men like a bit of meat on their women.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »

Unless they're gay. :p

The song will be #1 next Sunday. Even that naffily, dodgy cover version by Power Music Workout has charted higher than the pre-orders of the original.

The song's crap, the vocals are whiney in true young American female style & it is a shame that excellent fellow new tunes by Ella Eyre, Labrinth & The Magician won't out-sell it.
    But that's how the charts roll... ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a rip off of a Korean pop song.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/did-meghan-trainor-plagiarize-a-k-pop-artist#41owkbp

This doesn't actually bode well, it could be Queen and Vanilla Ice all over again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, all i hear is a very similar melody for a few seconds, the chorus sounds different I think - it is hard to judge the rest. But hey, I could also say that Dear Future Husband is a total rip off Olly Murs song.

But anyway, I highly doubt she has even heard of Korean group, this happened as an accident.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    To be fair, all i hear is a very similar melody for a few seconds, the chorus sounds different I think - it is hard to judge the rest. But hey, I could also say that Dear Future Husband is a total rip off Olly Murs song.

But anyway, I highly doubt she has even heard of Korean group, this happened as an accident.

She's been working in the business as a song writer for years, the idea this is just a coincidence when the chord sequences and cadence of the vocals are exactly the same is highly unlikely. Accident? If you believe that, I have some magic beans you might want to buy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's been working in the business as a song writer for years, the idea this is just a coincidence when the chord sequences and cadence of the vocals are exactly the same is highly unlikely. Accident? If you believe that, I have some magic beans you might want to buy.

You don't need to sound so snide and rude, it is just my opinion - all I'm saying is that I can hardly see that Meghan listens to Korean pop acts, thats all. Besides, it is a bigger deal that Dear Future Husband sounds almost the same as Olly's song or that Olly's Troublemaker sounds almost the same as Maroon 5's Misery. OR that 1D use famous melodies in their songs throughout the whole song. This is just a few seconds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    [/B]

You don't need to sound so snide and rude, it is just my opinion - all I'm saying is that I can hardly see that Meghan listens to Korean pop acts, thats all. Besides, it is a bigger deal that Dear Future Husband sounds almost the same as Olly's song or that Olly's Troublemaker sounds almost the same as Maroon 5's Misery. OR that 1D use famous melodies in their songs throughout the whole song. This is just a few seconds.

It's the entire song. Plagiarism is a legitimate crime for the civil courts. You are aware of the Queen/Vanilla Ice case, right?

Also, K-Pop is actually very popular in parts of America, there is a very large number of Koreans in California in particular.

So she's ripped off two songs then. I wouldn't credit Olly Murs with it though, even if he may have written some of the lyrics and sings it, he's not a musician or composer last I checked. I'm sure if Murs had any actual success in American Maroon 5 would go after him but he's probably not a blip on their radar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the entire song. Plagiarism is a legitimate crime for the civil courts. You are aware of the Queen/Vanilla Ice case, right?

Also, K-Pop is actually very popular in parts of America, there is a very large number of Koreans in California in particular.

So she's ripped off two songs then. I wouldn't credit Olly Murs with it though, even if he may have written some of the lyrics and sings it, he's not a musician or composer last I checked. I'm sure if Murs had any actual success in American Maroon 5 would go after him but he's probably not a blip on their radar.

Of course I am aware Vanilla Ice/Queen case, but I think you are wrong if you think this will be a huge deal. Look at 1D for example, they rip off songs all the time and yet no one sues them.
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    I dont think this plagiarism is a big deal - about 20 seconds of a near 4 minute song. This K-POP guy seems to be clinging on to fame.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Oh it does. :p

"because you know I'm all about that bass, 'bout that bass" = I'm all about the big butt.

"no treble" = No anorexic skeletons please.

Well, that's how I've interpreted the lyrics anyways. I think it's a clever metaphor anyways. :D

That's how I've interpreted it too....
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think this plagiarism is a big deal - about 20 seconds of a near 4 minute song. This K-POP guy seems to be clinging on to fame.

She's lifted the main chorus/melody though which is a big NO NO.

If a plagiarism claim was filed it would have a very strong chance of being upheld.
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    She's lifted the main chorus/melody though which is a big NO NO.

If a plagiarism claim was filed it would have a very strong chance of being upheld.

I very much doubt it. It's slightly similar, nothing really that noticeable.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too :D

It's one of my favourite covers by them, although I don't think I've disliked any they've done, they're very talented.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This song just reached number one. :)

The second fastest selling song of the year so far after Rather Be.