What order to update the 9200t?

poggspoggs Posts: 474
Forum Member
I bought on of these for my mum the day they went on sale in Comet.

She now tells me that it locks up about 4 times a day! So, on looking in here it would seem that she has old firmware.

THe loader is a 4.07 and the firmware is PGXTF 1.00.00

so I need to upgrade it! I have all the cables etc, but do I install the loader to 4.09 or the firmware to 1.00.06 first? Or does it not really matter

ta

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    It doesnt matter, but the loader is not nearly as important as the firmware, which is why your box is locking up.

I'm surprised the box you have is only at 1.00.00. I bought mine in Feb with 1.00.01 already installed. 1.00.04 came out in April.
  • poggspoggs Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    It doesnt matter, but the loader is not nearly as important as the firmware, which is why your box is locking up.

I'm surprised the box you have is only at 1.00.00. I bought mine in Feb with 1.00.01 already installed. 1.00.04 came out in April.

bought it in october 2005 as a house warming present for my mum. She was too embarrassed to tell me about its lockups until today.

I've never used it as I have sky HD i my home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    poggs wrote:
    bought it in october 2005 as a house warming present for my mum. She was too embarrassed to tell me about its lockups until today.

I've never used it as I have sky HD i my home.

Strange how it has never been updated OTA. Since october there must have been at least 2 ota updates repeated many times.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neilleeds wrote:
    Strange how it has never been updated OTA.

Perhaps it is turned off at night rather than being in standby?
  • Captain CodCaptain Cod Posts: 2,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum never put hers in standby, and so missed the updates. She's sorted now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can set the unit to go into standby at a set time and to trun back on at a set time.

If I were you I'd set it to turn off into standby at 3am, check for updates at 4am (the default value) and back on at 5am. Unless your mum is a night owl she wont see anything different.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

I've always found this a really strange quirk with the Humax, the concept that if you leave it switched on you miss the updates, what upside down logic. The problem is that most people who are replacing a VCR will follow the same bahaviour of just leaving it switched on.
  • MeMe Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a repeat OTA of 1.00.06 scheduled for Friday 30th for 24 hrs. If she puts her box in Standby on Friday night, it will download overnight and she can then install it the next morning,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote:
    I've always found this a really strange quirk with the Humax, the concept that if you leave it switched on you miss the updates, what upside down logic. The problem is that most people who are replacing a VCR will follow the same bahaviour of just leaving it switched on.
    Why would you leave a VCR permanently on?
    • it's not like they take long to start up,
    • they have nothing to "forget" (like an EPG) when in standby
    • some of them only start timers from standby
    • it wares out the tape left in, as it's permanently under tension.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

Well it's about 6 years since I last used a VCR, but ISTR that's what I used to do, and it's certainly what I do with the Hummy - at least until they fix the ridiculous problem of not saving the EPG.
  • MeMe Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    • it wears out the tape left in, as it's permanently under tension.

Any VCR I've used automatically unthreads the tape after it's done nothing for a few minutes for that very reason.
    (I had a friend who used his VCR as a NICAM decoder before he had a stereo TV. The machine would switch itself off after a few moments if it wasn't playing or recording and he had to set it to record just to listen to the sound!)

However, the Humax is constantly recording the buffer to its hard drive when it's "on", so it's never "doing nothing".

Presumably that's why it can't download the updates unless in standby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member

I'm with you on this, i have always turned all my devices off when i'm not using them. It is particularly important i think to turn off pvr's because they are always working the hd when they are on,
  • poggspoggs Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    I managed to update the firmware with no problems. No lockups in 24 hrs.

My mum never turns the pvr off or puts it in standby. Very odd that it needs to be in standby to update. Is that correct?
  • Captain CodCaptain Cod Posts: 2,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think "Me", three posts up, has hit the nail on the head with this one.