After Earth Film?

Comments

• JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    Acting is a reflection of life and has no age discrimination ( You wouldn't ponder the reverse of the question if you had said " For a fourteen year old, he is really good. But can i say that about someone so young ?").

It's true. They're always nominating young actors at the Oscars. I just don't think it would sit right at the Razzies.
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first read about the movie I was quite interested, but at that point I had only read Will Smith. I just can't take to his Son and I think that's partly the problem. Even writing that, the first instinct is "Will Smith's Son" rather than "Jaden Smith". I class myself as quite a big Will Smith Fan (I even watch Wild Wild West on occasion) but this is the first film since Shark Tale I've not wanted to see desperately.
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    When I first read about the movie I was quite interested, but at that point I had only read Will Smith. I just can't take to his Son and I think that's partly the problem. Even writing that, the first instinct is "Will Smith's Son" rather than "Jaden Smith". I class myself as quite a big Will Smith Fan (I even watch Wild Wild West on occasion) but this is the first film since Shark Tale I've not wanted to see desperately.

Why does everybody hate his son? Is he that bad?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barcajaden wrote: »

I don't think most hate Jaden . They're just suspicious that the movie is a bought and paid for vanity project to allow him to star in his first grownup blockbuster.

I've only seen one movie he's been in, "The Day the Earth Stood Still". He was awful in that, but that was the whining part he had to play and not his fault.
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see a problem with him helping his son and getting him into this film.....it's no different to many other actors who are in films purely because of the connections they have, usually as a result of their parents or family, this is just more blatant nepotism!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cypher Raige.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in the pub after seeing it just now.
    Quite enjoyed it to be honest. Be one I'll be buying on BD. Not brilliant, just enjoyable, can see it being panned by some critics and not liked by some audiences. But I personally was entertained.
    Wasn't really expecting much, hadn't really looked into much into the film, had no real expectations, just knew it was a Sci-Fi romp and had Will Smith and his sprog in it.
    Well, it truely is a Sci-Fi treat, some great sequences involved.
    Had no idea it was an M Night Shyamalian (sp) film, tend to enjoy his films, though the last couple have been a bit pants. And Will Smith's own story, which I also did not know.
    And it's a good Father's Day movie for you and your own little Sprogs. Even in a gushy American way.
    Enjoyed it a lot! Recommended.
    Time for a burger or some fish and chips and then FF6 :)
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Saw it this afternoon. It was awful. Most boring film I have seen for a long time. Absolutely nothing of any interest happens. Thank god it was only 90 minutes long although it seemed like three hours long!
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Yeah I totally agree as I found it very slow and boring.It does seem to feel longer than 90 minutes though!

The acting was terrible from both Will and Jaden Smith.Will Smith feels like he is not that bothered and is totally unconvincing as this amazing warrior he is meant to be!

The only thing half decent about After Earth is the action scenes but there isn't enough action in there.Also most of action is shown in the trailers on tv!

Easily the worst film I've seen this and I've watched a lot!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got in from seeing it. It was decent enough. Predictable and not that exciting but nowhere near as awful as some people are making it out to be, particularly those on the imdb boards.

I agree Jayden Smith has a long way to go in terms of acting but he's still young. Will Smith's character was so emotionless that I found it hard to connect with is character too.

I gave it 5/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like this movie is going to be a mega flop. Kermode slagged it off this too. Mind you Kermode like Prometheus!....But reviews are bad everywhere.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    barcajaden wrote: »

No, but he's not good enough to be in such high profile movies. People are rightly criticising the fact that family connections rather than acting talent and merit are at work here.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After Earth

M Night Shyamalan has had one of the strangest careers. Insantly hailed a genius after The Sixth Sense, he then followed it up with, in my opinion, three fantastic movies. Unbreakable is seen by many as his best movie. Signs is a flawed movie, but has some brilliant moments, and is liked by many. The Village has a very mixed critical reaction, but I believe it's his masterpiece, a stunningly directed and brilliantly performed movie.

Since then, I've mostly agreed with the critical and public perception, I haven't seen all his movies, but Lady In The Water was tosh, and The Happening, although I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as it's often made out to be, it's not up to the quality of the earlier films. So, onto After Earth.

It's very clearly a Shyamalan film, its slow moving and flatly acted. Think of his previous leading male peformances, Gibson in Signs, Whalberg in The Happening, it's all very leaden and deliberate. Sometimes it works brilliantly (Phoenix in The Village, Willis in The Sixth Sense), sometimes it doesn't (Whalberg), and here it really doesn't. Not sure if part of it is because Jaden isn't good enough, (I've not seen him in anything else to judge), but Will Smith is really bad in this. It's a robotic performance, so much so in fact that I wouldn't have been surprised to see a typical twist where it was revealed that he was an android. Smith is good when he's wisecracking and having fun, not so much when it sounds like he's repeating exactly what's been fed through his ear by the speaking clock.

The story is very simple, Smith and Son land on a hostile future Earth, Smith gets injured, Son has to cross the planet to launch a resuce beacon. Smith can't move so watches Son on a monitor while giving him robotic instructions. Son comes across danges, he runs away from them. It's all very formulaic and the first half at least is incredibly dull.

Things do pick up in the second half, and there is a remarkable 5 minute section near the end which reminds you of the directors previous highs, with Son "ghosting" a beast, and if the first half wasn't so dull, it wouldn't be a bad movie at all, but it's a difficult one to reccommend. Might not be so bad if you watched it at X2 speed.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and the missus try to go to the cinema every week but i think i would rather sit though Magic Mike again than watch this and ill tell you now being the only bloke in the cinema watching that was exactly the highlight of my cinema going experience.

I know you should make your own mind up but the reviews for this are shocking.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you Kermode like Prometheus!....But reviews are bad everywhere.

Kermode liked Prometheus with reservations though. He admitted it wasn't perfect, but he liked that it was some what an old fashion scifi romp with ideas behind it. Rather than just another Michael Bay blow-everything-up-for-three-hours-film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badly considered premise, poorly written, dull for 90% of the film and way too preachy.

I know people blast the Smiths for this film but its not really fair to blame them. It's just a bad film.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Kermode liked Prometheus with reservations though. He admitted it wasn't perfect, but he liked that it was some what an old fashion scifi romp with ideas behind it. Rather than just another Michael Bay blow-everything-up-for-three-hours-film.

Having seen Prometheus, give me Michael Bay's explosion a thon every time.

I am interested in this film, but just from the trailers and nothing else its clear Jaden has no where near the talent/charisma that his dad has. so I may rent it at some point, certaily not one I'll see at the cinema.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    I know people blast the Smiths for this film but its not really fair to blame them. It's just a bad film.

Why not? The story is from Will Smith himself. He came up with the idea! :D
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pianoforte wrote: »

If only the real Jaden had the self awareness to write an article like that! The best bit is the second to last paragraph...

"Hell, one could even conceivably argue that my parents are doing me a huge disservice by giving me a career that I didn’t necessarily earn myself, creating a wave of ill will toward me that will be more or less impossible to shed for the rest of my life. And, as it were, maybe raising me and my sister in the glamorous, vapid cocoon of Hollywood and setting absolutely no boundaries whatsoever for us and allowing us to pretty much do and have whatever we want is not, in fact, a good way to raise children. You know, at this point, I wouldn’t fault someone for thinking that my father and mother have utterly lost their grip on reality and what it means to be a normal human being in today’s world."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    watched this earlier today and have to say it was ok, it wasn't bad as some people are making out to be but was just ok. This is the type of film to rent imho.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Saw it earlier and thought it was "okay", not something that I'll be buying on Blu Ray, but it was watchable. It didn't seem at all like an M. Night Shyamalan film, but after his last few travesties I'd say that's kind of a good thing. Jaden did veer into Hayden Christensen levels of dodgy acting though whenever the film called on him to display emotions, but luckily for him he handles the action scenes fairly well considering his age. Will isn't really given much to do though unfortunately. Overall though the film is nowhere near as bad as some have made out, had it come out outside blockbuster season it probably would have been far better received.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ho hum! :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22875373
    Will Smith film After Earth dazzles UK box office

Will Smith's latest film After Earth has debuted at the top of the UK box office despite its poor reception in the US.

The sci-fi movie, also starring his son, Jaden, made £2.2m from 291 cinemas between Friday and Sunday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Why not? The story is from Will Smith himself. He came up with the idea! :D

By that logic you can blame Douglas Adams for the piss poor Hitchikers Guide movie or blame Tolkien for the recent Hobbit movie.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    It was ok, had to go because my son wanted to see it and he'd worked hard for an oral German exam, so it was his treat.
    I wouldn't have gone otherwise.
    Average, not rotten.
    I didn't fall asleep, at least.