EE-Am I the onlyone who's really against..

MutantXMutantX Posts: 1,772
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Dean rapes Linda sl.

Ever since matts came back I've been a little skepticle but in recent weeks I've really been enjoying the character. And even in the trailer when he punches Ben, it looks good.
But this rape sl is going to ruin his character.

I feel that it's unneeded for the Carters, especially at this stage. They've still other sl and they will always be in the limelight thanks to the queen Vic.
It's a very risky move for DTC, and probably the only decision of his that I'm against so far..

Comments

• valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I was OK with it at first but the more I like Dean--O the more reservations I have.
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is ever FOR a rape storyline. However if done well and if it raises awareness then I wouldn't say I'm against the idea.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I would rather it hadn't been Dean and Linda tbh. I wanted them to explore Dean more and for him to build relationships with his family. Perhaps a stalker or obsession storyline but not full blown rape. This will ruin Dean's character and probably some.of the Carters too.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MutantX wrote: »
    The Dean rapes Linda sl.

Ever since matts came back I've been a little skepticle but in recent weeks I've really been enjoying the character. And even in the trailer when he punches Ben, it looks good.
    But this rape sl is going to ruin his character.

I feel that it's unneeded for the Carters, especially at this stage. They've still other sl and they will always be in the limelight thanks to the queen Vic.
    It's a very risky move for DTC, and probably the only decision of his that I'm against so far..
    I also agree. I think Dean is relatively popular with some sections of the public, (if not on DS certainly on twitter) & this plotlines will just confuse his fan base. Whilst Dean is undoubtedly a git and obnoxious in some ways he's not terribly unlikeable like many EE baddies. To be honest, I found the scene in the Sept trailer, where he is kissing Linda's neck to be quite SEXY. I understand that not all sexual Abusers are dirty old men in macks but using an extremely attractive actor in plots like this might lead some fans to have mixed feelings about this storyline. Add to this possibly an emotional exploration Of Dean's own sexual abuse in prison & you run the risk of giving out mixed messages, which could be offensive with material of this nature.
  • OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    I'll have to see how it plays out before I cast any judgement on it. While Hollyoaks didn't do the story great justice, the reveal episode was absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing how Kellie Bright and Matt Di Angelo pull the story off. Hopefully it won't go on as long as the Hollyoaks male rape story, but I could see it as a nice reveal with the Mick being Shirley's son and the rape coming out at the same time at Christmas. I'm also hoping that they explore why Dean is so messed up and his time in prison because as many have mentioned before, they alluded to him being raped in prison when he first got out.
  • danlrwilliamsdanlrwilliams Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    I really wanted a happy ever after to the Dean and Shirley storyline where they would actually be a family at last once he realises he needs her in his life and by that time it would of been revealed about Mick and Shirley so it could of developed from there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    To be honest, I found the scene in the Sept trailer, where he is kissing Linda's neck to be quite SEXY. I understand that not all sexual Abusers are dirty old men in macks but using an extremely attractive actor in plots like this might lead some fans to have mixed feelings about this storyline.

But I think that's kind of the point. It's highlighting that not all rapes are committed by dirty perverts.

I think it's important to show a variety of difficult situations. Rape isn't always a complete "struggle", particularly when young men and/or women are involved.
  • Robert_WhippyRobert_Whippy Posts: 2,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe if they do a story where max goes too far with his urges and a girl accuses him of rape.

Like he manages to bed a girl (with her consent) but then she lies about being raped.

Although that would make a mockery out of rape maybe and max has only just had his wrongfully arrested storyline
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe if they do a story where max goes too far with his urges and a girl accuses him of rape.

Like he manages to bed a girl (with her consent) but then she lies about being raped.

Although that would make a mockery out of rape maybe and max has only just had his wrongfully arrested storyline

That plotlines would suit max & might make him reasess his behaviour. After all he's been treading water as a character for a long time. The idea that one of his conquests could turn on him and cause him serious grief is quite a good one. Missed opportunity there.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Storyline-wise, I'm for it - I like storylines that raise awareness with big topics in society and EE has always been good at doing this.

However, from a character point of view, I hate it. I'm a huge Dean fan and waited 6 years for him to return. He has so much potential - what happened to him in prison?!!! Is this not going to be looked into?

I know Kellie will do an amazing job and if I can find one positive for Dean, at least we'll see Matt do some of his finest acting as playing a rapist must be so difficult to do. We also know that Matt's initial reaction was that he didn't want to do it but decided to take on the challenge.

It hasn't been said that Matt is leaving, but surely he must be? I've been trying to think of ways Dean could stay, but I doubt they would let him, surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll have to see how it plays out before I cast any judgement on it. While Hollyoaks didn't do the story great justice, the reveal episode was absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing how Kellie Bright and Matt Di Angelo pull the story off. Hopefully it won't go on as long as the Hollyoaks male rape story, but I could see it as a nice reveal with the Mick being Shirley's son and the rape coming out at the same time at Christmas. I'm also hoping that they explore why Dean is so messed up and his time in prison because as many have mentioned before, they alluded to him being raped in prison when he first got out.

What is worrying is that if deans sexual abuse is bought up it might make him into a slightly sympathetic character & some might even see it as an "excuse" for him to go off the rails. Add to this the abused-turns-abuser factor (uncomfortable fact but it DOES happen) & this could cause a strong reaction from abuse charities and victims.
    EE got a fine line to tread here-unless they decide not to explore the "dean in prison" factor to this storyline (and i think they will)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Storyline-wise, I'm for it - I like storylines that raise awareness with big topics in society and EE has always been good at doing this.

However, from a character point of view, I hate it. I'm a huge Dean fan and waited 6 years for him to return. He has so much potential - what happened to him in prison?!!! Is this not going to be looked into?

I know Kellie will do an amazing job and if I can find one positive for Dean, at least we'll see Matt do some of his finest acting as playing a rapist must be so difficult to do. We also know that Matt's initial reaction was that he didn't want to do it but decided to take on the challenge.

It hasn't been said that Matt is leaving, but surely he must be? I've been trying to think of ways Dean could stay, but I doubt they would let him, surely?
    He could become a recurrent baddie like character a la Nick Cotton- but I doubt this. I expect Dean to die.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He could become a recurrent baddie like character a la Nick Cotton- but I doubt this. I expect Dean to die.

Unfortunately, I do as well. I can imagine him reverting back to the way he was before - he could easily become the scared little boy we saw when he was threatened with police before. If he dies, I would expect him to take him own life.

However, prison has been mentioned a lot and he has never seemed bothered - like with Aunt Babe and growing cannabis.

It's interesting - why do people think his time in prison will be explored? I want it to, but I have no basis for that.
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    Storyline wise I think it will be good but I think it's a shame character wise for Dean as looking forward to finding out if Dean and Shirley would ever have a happy mother and son relationship but after this storyline I don't think it's likely .
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also agree. I think Dean is relatively popular with some sections of the public, (if not on DS certainly on twitter) & this plotlines will just confuse his fan base. Whilst Dean is undoubtedly a git and obnoxious in some ways he's not terribly unlikeable like many EE baddies. To be honest, I found the scene in the Sept trailer, where he is kissing Linda's neck to be quite SEXY. I understand that not all sexual Abusers are dirty old men in macks but using an extremely attractive actor in plots like this might lead some fans to have mixed feelings about this storyline. Add to this possibly an emotional exploration Of Dean's own sexual abuse in prison & you run the risk of giving out mixed messages, which could be offensive with material of this nature.
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    But I think that's kind of the point. It's highlighting that not all rapes are committed by dirty perverts.

I think it's important to show a variety of difficult situations. Rape isn't always a complete "struggle", particularly when young men and/or women are involved.

I think it's generally accepted that stealing and taking a life are not black and white issues - with stealing, though in the majority of cases it's done for selfish, egoistical reasons, kleptomania, and stealing out of starvation/to support a staving family muddies the waters. Then taking a life can fall on a spectrum from accident/self defence/manslaughter to premeditated, cold blooded murder and while some murderers are heartless like Tracy Barlow, others feel guilt and remorse and become sympathetic like John Stape and to some extent Tony Gordon.

For many years I assumed like everyone else that all rapists were heinous monsters. Then I saw Forsyte Saga, which really confused me because while I was shocked that Soames raped his wife, I nevertheless liked Soames and sympathised with him, especially when he mellowed out years later. It was the same with Lewis, because there was an allusion in a murder mystery to a man who for many years held a torch for a woman who couldn't reciprocate. She turned to him for a shoulder to cry on when her boyfriend had an affair but her clinging to him was too much for him to handle and he ended up losing control, resulting in rape. In that instance, he couldn't live with himself and committed suicide after telling his sister that he had done something terrible. I sympathised with him too but those were odd, exceptional cases.

Finn O Connor and Frank Foster were both despicable because they knew exactly what they were doing, did what they did for power/control and to punish/hurt their victims, did not stop though their victims begged them to, felt no guilt or remorse afterwards, relished having power over their victims afterwards and did not love anyone. They were also in danger of harming others though I think Finn is sick while Frank was just cold hearted and selfish.

Hopefully with Dean it will be more complex and what happens with Linda a one off though he will still need to face the consequences of his actions just like everyone else.

On a different note, I can't help thinking that logically it's odd to argue that rape is about power and control rather than sex and then brand a rapist a disgusting, dirty pervert.
  • The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    I think it's great that EastEnders are tackling this. It's the kind of storyline they usually do really well, and they haven't tackled it in a while unless my mind's playing tricks.

I also think it's exciting to play with the Carter dynamic. They are a breath of fresh air but I have no doubt Kellie Bright can do it justice. The aftermath has the potential to be huge. It affects every single member of that family and also others like Lauren and Sharon who are close to those two.

I think we should give the story a chance. It hasn't even aired yet. I have full faith.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really pro rape storylines. If a political party came out and said they were also for rape storylines I can see the country getting behind that and electing them next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully with Dean it will be more complex and what happens with Linda a one off though he will still need to face the consequences of his actions just like everyone else.

On a different note, I can't help thinking that logically it's odd to argue that rape is about power and control rather than sex and then brand a rapist a disgusting, dirty pervert.

I'm finding this difficult to put into words so forgive me but what I'm trying to say is that rape isn't always as clear cut as she/he said no, he/she ignored and then raped her/him. In a lot of cases the abused makes excuses for the attack because of manipulation on the part of the abuser claiming that the abused "asked for it" or "didn't say no".

It's become more documented in recent years but due to poor sex education and to an extent the fall of Christian/religious values, young men (and in some cases women) are coercing their partner into sex and in a lot of cases the abused aren't say no vocally and because the abuser cannot interpretate the body language of the abused, rape is becoming more of a blurred line.

Ultimately they could go down the same route with this story. In the short clip we have, we so far see Linda tense up but rather than say no, she simply asks him what he's doing in which he replies that she knows exactly what, suggesting he doesn't even know she isn't interested.

I doubt they'll go down this route and I expect Linda to make it clear that she doesn't want it, only for him to force himself on her but I think it would be more interesting if they went down a more woolly avenue - particularly with Mick and Linda's current issues.
  • secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered, because rape in a soap is hardly a new thing, if they would go down a different route. Perhaps Linda responds to Deans advances, feels guilty during and then says no. This would make the viewers choose sides, was she enjoying it but felt guilty or was she genuinely saying no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reading the press release though, I don't think it's that type of storyline. It's rape within a family so I don't think the issue of consent comes into question at all - it is rape.

I hate that they are doing this to Dean...the only way he could be salvaged AT ALL is if his mental health is questioned, but going by the trailer, he's going to a dark place already.
  • ChatterFaceChatterFace Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am on the fence with this storyline...

Rape storylines usually end in justice (which is obviously a good thing). This storyline pretty much gives Dean a short shelf life as he will probably end up in prison or a coffin. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the fact I am enjoying Dean and was hoping to see him develop his relationships with his family, because of this his character is going to be forever damaged.

On the plus side this is different to the usual rape plots, which are all too often committed by characters who have not long been brought in (with pretty much their only purpose being the rape storyline) or characters that are villains anyway. Dean is not a villain, he isn't perfect but he hasn't been made to be a bad guy, he also has plenty of links on the Square and a bit of history which for me gives this story more of an impact and does show that not only 'Anyone can become a victim of rape' but 'Anyone could become the rapist'. Obviously I don't expect Alfie to go out and rape someone but the point is this storyline is showing a scenario that isn't using the typical and predictable villian but a character who not too long ago we wouldn't have ever expected them to do this. I think that gives it a nice touch and helps raise awareness, showing that its not just curb crawling old men that can do this to you.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched the clips I think Tosh would have been a more interesting victim (sounds macabre)
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered, because rape in a soap is hardly a new thing, if they would go down a different route. Perhaps Linda responds to Deans advances, feels guilty during and then says no. This would make the viewers choose sides, was she enjoying it but felt guilty or was she genuinely saying no.

that's what I am thinking. I think it will be more like gilly/jacqui in hollyoaks than finn/JP.

other than it beimg a rape storyline non of us know what the basis of it will be and I think we have to wait and see. think it will be well portrayed and I don't think it will definately mean the end of Dean
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on the fence with this storyline...

Rape storylines usually end in justice (which is obviously a good thing). This storyline pretty much gives Dean a short shelf life as he will probably end up in prison or a coffin. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the fact I am enjoying Dean and was hoping to see him develop his relationships with his family, because of this his character is going to be forever damaged.

On the plus side this is different to the usual rape plots, which are all too often committed by characters who have not long been brought in (with pretty much their only purpose being the rape storyline) or characters that are villains anyway. Dean is not a villain, he isn't perfect but he hasn't been made to be a bad guy, he also has plenty of links on the Square and a bit of history which for me gives this story more of an impact and does show that not only 'Anyone can become a victim of rape' but 'Anyone could become the rapist'. Obviously I don't expect Alfie to go out and rape someone but the point is this storyline is showing a scenario that isn't using the typical and predictable villian but a character who not too long ago we wouldn't have ever expected them to do this. I think that gives it a nice touch and helps raise awareness, showing that its not just curb crawling old men that can do this to you.

I tried to raise this exact point (badly it seems) in a hollyoaks thread the other week and was told in no uncertain terms that all rapes are violent and all rapists show behaviours beforehand and lead into it. I agree completely with everything you have said
  • MutantXMutantX Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    that's what I am thinking. I think it will be more like gilly/jacqui in hollyoaks than finn/JP.

other than it beimg a rape storyline non of us know what the basis of it will be and I think we have to wait and see. think it will be well portrayed and I don't think it will definately mean the end of Dean

Same here