Can I play US PS3 games on a UK PS3?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
Forum Member
The reason I ask is cos I'm off to America soon and want to buy some games over there. I don't wanna buy them and then be hacked off cos they don't work on UK PS3.

Does anyone know the answer?

Cheers! :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they will work. PS2 games are still regionalised though so don't buy any of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Cool. Thanks mate. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    you can buy any ps3 game in the world and it will play on any ps3 console in the world :p
  • ade2005ade2005 Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the ntsc and pal converstaion?

Does the system convert it for you?

My tv is not NTSC but my USA DVD's work ok becuase the dvd player converts it in some way/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wont be able to play others online though will you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you connect your PS3 to your telly? If you are using an HD connection there really is no PAL/NTSC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot play say a copy of Motorstorm UK version against a friend that has say a US copy... from what I read.

I might have that wrong though I'm sure if I have someone will be around to correct me. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Just got RR7 - works fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ico, you are correct, but it does seem to be down to the actual game.
    I have a US PS3, I have US copies of Motorstorm and Resistance.
    I could not play against my mates UK PS3, Motorstorm and Resistance.
    I have bought UK Motorstorm and Resistance, now I can play Motorstorm but I can't play Resistance. Also we both have US versions of Dark Kingdom, I can't play him, it sees him but bombs out.
    Also the voice chat in Motorstorm seems to be non working, anyone else have problems with this?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard you can't buy things as you need an address from the region the console if from.

Not sure if that's true though

If not I may get my sister in the US to send me a superior US PS3 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told there is a patch (if thats what its called) coming out meaning you can play people world wide
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond, I have a US account as well as a UK account on my US machine.
    I have also purchased a game (Blast Factor) from the US store.
    But this not being able to play right now with my mate has p'd me off so I've put my US one on eBay.
    If anyone wants to look, pm me and I'll send you the item number (I won't be so crass as to advertise on the forum chaps)

Garryt, where did you hear/read that mate?
    It would make me keep the US machine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurogamer.com

in the forums, some people who really know what there talking about on that site so I do believe them.

Assume it will mean the new games though?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think half the time it's the servers that haven't been set up correctly for the online stuff. There shouldn't be a problem playing across different regions. Some people to it better than others!!

I believe that Sony stated that only their 1st party releases where guaranteed to be region free. 3rd party developers can lock them if they want to. People in Asia are having problems with Resistance between Jap PS3's and the Korean Game and visa versa. It's on the resistance forum's some where.

I have a US PS3 and won't bother getting any UK games, I can get them cheaper from Canada even after postage for £33. :)

So how long before we have to swap the Sixaxis out for rumble ones now that Sony and Immersion have made up. :rolleyes:
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I would advise that there is no surefire answer to the US/Japanese PS3 games compatability with the UK machines. I would do a bit of research on the web before making any purchases.

Basically, region encoding DOES exist for PS3 games, but it's under publisher's disgretion. Much like Sony's decision to make their BluRay movie disks region free compared to others out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So would any American Blu-Ray movie in the collection available at http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/_wbr_INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=hid_bd_recommended&Dept=moviesmusic# play on a UK PS3?

I have the US version of "The Fifth Element" and that plays okay (only a mpeg2 recording however).

Automan.
    DanVitale wrote:
    I would advise that there is no surefire answer to the US/Japanese PS3 games compatability with the UK machines. I would do a bit of research on the web before making any purchases.

Basically, region encoding DOES exist for PS3 games, but it's under publisher's disgretion. Much like Sony's decision to make their BluRay movie disks region free compared to others out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    And the answer is NO...
    At present, U.S Bluray discs are Region A while European PS3's can only play Region B Bluray discs...
    (In short, Blu ray movie discs are Regionally coded, much like DVD)...
    However, Warners have publically stated they will not be regionally coding their Blu ray releases, so it might be possible to import U.S discs & play them on a Region B Bluray player....