PS3 Upscaling DVD's Advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
Forum Member
I'm thinking about getting a PS3 in the next few weeks (i don't think i have to tell you why :p), and was just wondering if it upscales DVD's to HD via the Component cable or if it is purely through a HDMI cable? The only problem that i've got is that my 5.1 set up doesn't have an optical connection and so i have to use the red and white component connectors like i do with my 360 to get 5.1 surround sound.

Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,169
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting a PS3 in the next few weeks (i don't think i have to tell you why :p), and was just wondering if it upscales DVD's to HD via the Component cable or if it is purely through a HDMI cable? The only problem that i've got is that my 5.1 set up doesn't have an optical connection and so i have to use the red and white component connectors like i do with my 360 to get 5.1 surround sound.

Thanks.

Component RCA cables do NOT carry 5.1 surround sound.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »

Thanks.

The red & white cables aren't component, they're simply right & left stereo audio. And they cannot carry true DD/DTS 5.

Component video cables (red/green/blue RCA phonos) can't be used for upscaling - upscaling is only allowed via HDMI.

This isn't a limitation of the PS3 - it's the same with the 360 & everything else - it's down to DVDCCA/CSS restrictions which prohibit upscaling via anything other than HDMI.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Are you sure about the 360 mate? as the early ones have no HDMI i use VGA on mine, It defanatly upscales on that as i had HDDVD. I think this is one of the resons HDDVD died there DRM fell over due to the xbox. I dont want to start an argument ill have a proper look into it.

you are correct but so am i on the HD front check this out, 1080I over componant.

Call me a conspirasist but i still belive the xbox killed HDDVD.

i liked HDDVD just as good on the xbox as blue ray on the ps3. Some times i think better.

Not that i don't appreciate blue ray, just got Enchanted for my girls on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL, forgot about VGA (& that's what I use on my 360 too - even though it has HDMI!), was thinking "PS3" so just said HDMI only.

Yep, DVD upscaling over VGA is possible on the 360, due to a loophole in the restrictions (something along the lines of...VGA is assumed to be a PC connection, so isn't prohibited from upscaling like component is).

Similar restrictions (AACS) apply to HD DVDs, as your link shows. Max. 1080i via component, 1080p via HDMI, 1080p via VGA. [btw, the 360's HD DVD drive doesn't upscale DVDs... the 360 itself does].
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    The red & white cables aren't component, they're simply right & left stereo audio. And they cannot carry true DD/DTS 5.

Component video cables (red/green/blue RCA phonos) can't be used for upscaling - upscaling is only allowed via HDMI.

This isn't a limitation of the PS3 - it's the same with the 360 & everything else - it's down to DVDCCA/CSS restrictions which prohibit upscaling via anything other than HDMI.

Okay, thanks.

And as for me not getting true 5.1 through a component cable on the 360, the red and white connectors go into a "decoder" (or whatever it's called) and i can set it to 'Surround' settings and it does actually create the 5.1 Surround Sound. I know this for a fact because if i spin around in a game i can hear the sound move around me, plus a 5.1 set up tool that is on the Halo 3 Ltd Edition (Disc 2) played the correct sounds out of the correct speakers, meaning that i'm definitely not just getting stereo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not true DD/DTS 5.1 though - that would require using the optical output or HDMI.

It's probably Pro Logic if you're using the stereo phonos.

What amp/receiver do you have?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,169
    Forum Member
    It is probably the pseudo-surround created by your amp - there is no way two analogue RCAs are carrying full 6-channel audio m8.
  • dennisspoonerdennisspooner Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To answer the OP- the PS3 will not upscale dvd's via the component connection - upscaling is via HDMI only.

To repeat what others have said - the phono connectors cannot carry digital sound - so even though you "know it for a fact" you are unfortunately wrong.

The best you will get from 2 phonos is standard pro logic 2x surround.

Genuine Dolby Digital and DTS 5/6.1 sound can only be obtained via the HDMI or optical connections

If you ever get to hear genuine DD or DTS you should notice the difference from the standard surround you are hearing at the moment.
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,719
    Forum Member
    x-p-d wrote: »
    It is probably the pseudo-surround created by your amp - there is no way two analogue RCAs are carrying full 6-channel audio m8.
    What the lads (x-p-d & dennisspooner) say is true.