London gay worldpride 2012

Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
Forum Member
✭✭✭
World Pride celebrations will go ahead this Saturday 7th July on a smaller scale than originally planned.

The celebration in Trafalgar Square will finish at 6pm. As with other large scale events, access will be restricted if it reaches capacity.

There are also no planned street events in Soho and people should not go there expecting open air entertainment. Normal licensing will be in place and bars are expected to be extremely crowded, with limited capacity.

Despite the changes in the past week, we urge all members of the community to come out in force and support WorldPride and do the very best they can. Forty years on from the very first Pride London march, we need to show that this fighting spirit from 1972 lives on. Not just for us, but for our brothers and sisters across the world who are still fighting for their rights to be human, their rights to love and the decriminalization of homosexuality in the place that they live.

I'm off there now.:)

Anyone on DS going?

Comments

• neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have fun :)
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    Gay Prides in the UK are generally hideous - the point of them has been totally lost.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Gay Prides in the UK are generally hideous - the point of them has been totally lost.

They are awesome
    The point hasn't been lost
    Things evolve
    Forum Member
    They are awesome
    Things evolve

Indeed they do - into what is little more than a tawdry drinking session.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to rain on your parade...
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Not everyone who is gay is an alcoholic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    Hope it stops raining and the sun comes out for it :)

Have fun !!
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What's wrong with that? Aside from the modern belief that drink was invetend in 2004 and alcoholism a few weeks later.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Any excuse for a party, eh? :rolleyes: Have fun :D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Anyone on DS going?

No. Though it would be very easy. Hope you have a good time.
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    What's wrong with that? Aside from the modern belief that drink was invetend in 2004 and alcoholism a few weeks later.

Nothing - but the pretence that it is about something more than that these days really annoys me.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could go :(
  • PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Mass hysteria for attention seekers.............just what the Country needs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member

That has been my experience of them. Drink and drugs galore. Hardly a sight to be particularly proud of to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »

Hee! :D Oh dear! I found that very amusing. I really must get out more!
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    No. Me and the o/h are off to the village hall this afternoon, where our friend is running an art and photographic competition.

Then o/h is going over to my Dad to help him with his VAT returns.
    I'm going out to finish my dry-stone wall in the garden, and might make a vichyssoise for dinner.

Such is the life of an early-30s gay guy!!:o
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    No. Me and the o/h are off to the village hall this afternoon, where our friend is running an art and photographic competition.

Then o/h is going over to my Dad to help him with his VAT returns.
    I'm going out to finish my dry-stone wall in the garden, and might make a vichyssoise for dinner.

Such is the life of an early-30s gay guy!!

When you get to your fifties you are working on the 'boring' stalls at Pride... you know the ones with leaflets instead of leather goods...
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    When you get to your fifties you are working on the 'boring' stalls at Pride... you know the ones with leaflets instead of leather goods...

:D Owww I like the leaflet lesbians at Pride! They are like mums everywhere, and you can have a good chat.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    :D Owww I like the leaflet lesbians at Pride! They are like mums everywhere, and you can have a good chat.

Yes, it's a little like Debenhams with louder music and more mud.
  • George_McPhailGeorge_McPhail Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    They are awesome
    Things evolve

I dont particualrily call dancing to unknown local boy bands, Lidl style Drag Queens, desperate 80s hasbeens and screeching fake tanned queens necking back any booze and pills offered to them "awesome"

Its nothing really to be proud of, and about as far away from what "Pride" is supposed to be out.

I went once, and It was a horrible experience. Never felt so ashamed to be gay if truth be told!
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pride was great in the mid 90s. Maybe became a victim of its own success as it grew too big to manage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it stops raining and the sun comes out for it :)

Have fun !!

So many jokes running through my head, don't even know where to begin! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh its people having fun. Let them get on with it!
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember years ago when I was at sixth form, a friend of mines Aunt was in the organising committee for Pride in London. We went a couple of years and were volunteer stewards on the procession, then used to get free tickets into the festival thing afterwards, in Finsbury Park if I remember correctly? Was always a good day out, and the atmosphere was always good. Sad to see it's not so big anymore!
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My experience of Pride was just a bunch of drunk guys bitching about each other. Nothing for me to be proud of there.