Options

Sky's 12 month contract

allonewordalloneword Posts: 46
Forum Member
Why do Sky insist on being idiots where there 12 month contract is concerned?

I have just 2 or 3 months left and wanted out so rang today to cancel and pay the rest off my contract term by either credit/debit card or bacs transfer, but they refused to allow me to cancel until 31 days before my whole 12 months is up, what does it matter i will have paid in full so what gives why are they being ignorant?

Anyone know if they are allowed to do this i was under the impression that i could join on Jan 1 and leave on jan 2 so long as i had paid for my whole 12 months.

The funny thing is i might have stayed if they had offered a decent deal but given sky only offers ch 5 HD over freesat i'll just grab freesat box out of the bedroom and use that, so short sighted sky it's untree.

All1

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    read the Ts&Cs of the contract you signed, that will tell you what you can and can't do.
    you did read it before singing, yeah ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOL like we all read T&C's i presume you read the whole of the licence agreement for every bit of software you install.

My point is why does it matter, i will have paid for 12 months weather i pay on day one or last day just seems pointless to me that's all i'm saying can you give a sensabile reason for not allowing me to cancel now or in the last month they wont get any more money from me, nin fact they will have lost because of there atttitude.

All1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alloneword wrote: »
    LOL like we all read T&C's i presume you read the whole of the licence agreement for every bit of software you install.

i'm not the one trying to get out of the agreed terms of the contract though - you are.
    My point is why does it matter, i will have paid for 12 months weather i pay on day one or last day just seems pointless to me that's all i'm saying can you give a sensabile reason for not allowing me to cancel now or in the last month they wont get any more money from me, nin fact they will have lost because of there atttitude.

you agreed to the terms when you signed up. simply as that.
    they weren't going to get any more money from you anyway, so they are not losing anything by enforcing the terms of the contract.
  • Options
    Mockney-RebelMockney-Rebel Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    If you only have two or so months left of your contract you might as well stick out till then.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's poor customer service when the OP is not asking to be freed without penalty but offering to pay what is owed. Sky don't lose out on any money
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    It's poor customer service when the OP is not asking to be freed without penalty but offering to pay what is owed. Sky don't lose out on any money

the OP is not losing any money either, so makes no difference if they wait and pay it monthly or pay it all now.

OP simply has to put the money aside in the bank account and let sky take it monthly until they submit the cancellation request.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »

This is my point, i'm not asking to come out early and avoid paying less then the agreed amount it's just would be handy for me as i'm trying to lower my monthly outgoings by paying up early on some things Sky being one, now were in a situation were they will still get the same amount of money but now have a p1ssed of customer, it would not cost them any more to let me pay in full now.
    It's very poor customer service and i'm also wondering given there is no financial reason for it (as far as i can see) i suspect it's more to be bale to say we have xxx number of subscribers pay a set fee each month, where if they let me go they won't be able to say that, the situation just seems crazy that's all i was saying, anyway direct debit has been stopped and a cheque has been put in the post.

Mind you they did say if i did this they would get debt collection on my case LOL they will be good for a laugh.

All1
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    the OP is not losing any money either, so makes no difference if they wait and pay it monthly or pay it all now.

OP simply has to put the money aside in the bank account and let sky take it monthly until they submit the cancellation request.

It's just odd business practice. Of all the contracts I've signed in my life (thousands with business and career) Sky is the only one that doesn't allow me to pay and leave.

More than anything it's bad customer service full stop.
    It makes no sense. They obviously want you to forget or change your mind or badger you with an offer when the time comes.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are paying in full, why not just log into your account and make a debit card payment for that amount, so will appear as a credit on your account, then future bills come off that credit, then cancel when you are due to cancel.

Seems a song and dance about nothing.
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do get astounded by the things people grumble about. Surely if you cancel now and pay up your losing out on viewing so why not just pay this month and cancel next month. It really is simples.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funny thing is i might have stayed if they had offered a decent deal but given sky only offers ch 5 HD over freesat i'll just grab freesat box out of the bedroom and use that, so short sighted sky it's untree.

All1

Sky offer a lot more than 5HD over FreeSat.
    If you are paying in full, why not just log into your account and make a debit card payment for that amount, so will appear as a credit on your account, then future bills come off that credit, then cancel when you are due to cancel.

Seems a song and dance about nothing.

Perfect solution. Cancelling the direct debit and sticking a cheque in the post is going to end in tears. Especially if you haven't sent it by recorded mail.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Perfect solution. Cancelling the direct debit and sticking a cheque in the post is going to end in tears. Especially if you haven't sent it by recorded mail.

Recorded mail won't help much anyway - Sky, in common with most (if not all?) large companies don't sign for recorded deliveries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recorded mail won't help much anyway - Sky, in common with most (if not all?) large companies don't sign for recorded deliveries.

Didn't know that. In that case...sticking a cheque in the post was a pretty stupid thing to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

One of the app developers I manage uses recorded delivery a lot (signed documents, dvds, mock-ups), 10+ times a month and having just asked him beside me he has never had any large company or in fact any business ever refuse to sign. He prefers this for non important items than a courier, naming cost and he has a post office next door to where he lives.

I myself often use it say once a month and never have any problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    One of the app developers I manage uses recorded delivery a lot (signed documents, dvds, mock-ups), 10+ times a month and having just asked him beside me he has never had any large company or in fact any business ever refuse to sign. He prefers this for non important items than a courier, naming cost and he has a post office next door to where he lives.

I myself often use it say once a month and never have any problems.

Just imagine the postman walking in to Sky - here's 5000 letters, oh and can you just sign for 2000 of them :p

Has you friend actually seen signatures from the companies he sends to?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just imagine the postman walking in to Sky - here's 5000 letters, oh and can you just sign for 2000 of them :p

Has you friend actually seen signatures from the companies he sends to?.

He has and showed me them all online. He checks them religiously. I too have looked at all mine online. Its a great service. Not sure why you think it is not.
    I would have thought that sky would use a 3rd party or even Royal mail mail management service to actually handle their inbound mail,
    http://www.royalmail.com/general-correspondence/mailroom-management
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AFAIK, large corporations generally don't sign for recorded stuff, a few times i have used it to write to larger organisations, and have not been able to obtain a signature by tracking it, but then had a reply to my letter.
  • Options
    John896John896 Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Any ideas if large corporations class special delivery letters,the same as recorded delivery letters.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John896 wrote: »
    Any ideas if large corporations class special delivery letters,the same as recorded delivery letters.?

I believe they do, as these items are tracked properly through the system (whereas Recorded Delivery is only tracked at point of delivery - when the postman writes the number down and gets a signature).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AFAIK, large corporations generally don't sign for recorded stuff, a few times i have used it to write to larger organisations, and have not been able to obtain a signature by tracking it, but then had a reply to my letter.

That's generally the case - but if there is any dispute you've got proof it was sent recorded delivery, and a company that doesn't sign for them wouldn't stand a prayer in court :D

But in this specific case we're talking about, it's a cheque anyway - so easy to tell if the cheque has been presented or not.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Why do Sky insist on being idiots where there 12 month contract is concerned?

I have just 2 or 3 months left and wanted out so rang today to cancel and pay the rest off my contract term by either credit/debit card or bacs transfer, but they refused to allow me to cancel until 31 days before my whole 12 months is up, what does it matter i will have paid in full so what gives why are they being ignorant?

Anyone know if they are allowed to do this i was under the impression that i could join on Jan 1 and leave on jan 2 so long as i had paid for my whole 12 months.

The funny thing is i might have stayed if they had offered a decent deal but given sky only offers ch 5 HD over freesat i'll just grab freesat box out of the bedroom and use that, so short sighted sky it's untree.All1

What Sky told you is bullshit. Some of the above comments in the thread are, shall we say, unhelpful. :cool:

Read the following, then just cancel. http://help.sky.com/my-account/billing/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early . If they argue, give them the link.

You will have to pay an early termination fee, which will be the same as or less than what your monthly subscriptions would have been. They will just debit your normal bank account with the fee, instead of charging the previous monthly direct debits. Sorted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    What Sky told you is bullshit. Some of the above comments in the thread are, shall we say, unhelpful. :cool:

Read the following, then just cancel. http://help.sky.com/my-account/billing/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early . If they argue, give them the link.

You will have to pay an early termination fee, which will be the same as or less than what your monthly subscriptions would have been. They will just debit your normal bank account with the fee, instead of charging the previous monthly direct debits. Sorted.

I think that is the problem though, the OP not asking for early cancellation, he was asking to pay the standard price till the end of the contract, and cancel, which they probably didn't understand.

He just needs to phone up and say he wants to cancel early, and pay any fees, and lose service in 31 days, but i feel this is not what he was saying, so the CS probably got confused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky offer a lot more than 5HD over FreeSat.
    Not to me it doesn't I hardly ever watch the rest of the stuff they offer maybe a bit of gold but that's it.

All1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to me it doesn't I hardly ever watch the rest of the stuff they offer maybe a bit of gold but that's it.

All1

That's your own personal tastes though, isn't it? Your statement made out that it offers no more than 5 in HD to anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's your own personal tastes though, isn't it?
    YUP!

and that's all that matters (too me anyway), stop trolling.

All1